title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can't Play. Skipped track. Asset UPnP Error message.

Can't Play. Skipped track. Asset UPnP Error message.

I have recently bought a NAIM mu-so and downloaded the trial version of Asset UPnP to enable me to access my music stored on iTunes on my MacBook via the Naim app. It worked perfectly. Then a couple of days ago I splashed out for the paid version and it has not worked since. I can (sometimes, not always) see my music on the iPad screen, but it won't play. I just get an error message saying "Can't Play.. Track Skipped". Help!

Administrator

Re: Can't Play. Skipped track. Asset UPnP Error message.

Try uninstalling, reboot your Mac (full shutdown) then reinstall.

Smile Re: Can't Play. Skipped track. Asset UPnP Error message.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try uninstalling, reboot your Mac (full shutdown) then reinstall.
    Thanks Spoon. I have followed your instructions and at the moment it seems to be working when I use my iPhone to access music via the NAIM App. However, when I try to access it using my iPad, it says "No rooms found". Any ideas?

Administrator

You would have to ask naim about this one, because even without a UPnP Server, the ipad should list the rooms (players).

You would have to ask naim about this one, because even without a UPnP Server, the ipad should list the rooms (players).
    Thanks again Spoon. I have now deleted and reloaded everything - Asset UPnP and the NAIM App and it all seems to be working again now. I have lost a degree of confidence in the App, the mu-so and the Asset UPnP software but I am ever optimistic that all teething problems are now ironed out. Mu-so sounds superb!

Hi Spoon. After following your advice everything seemed to work fine....until today when once again I got the error message "Can't play. Track skipped" when I try to use the UPnP mode on my NAIM. I have once again deleted the software, closed down my Mac, powered up and reinstalled Asset UPnP but this time it hasn't worked and I am getting the same error message whatever music I chose. Any other ideas please? Thanks, Mary

Administrator

If It was working, then it stopped working without any changes, perhaps your mac has security software, such as a firewall which is blocking?

If It was working, then it stopped working without any changes, perhaps your mac has security software, such as a firewall which is blocking?
    That doesn't seem to make sense as it surely would have blocked it to begin with?

Administrator

Not always, sometimes they monitor the traffic sent over the network and anything the security software does not like it can be blocked from that point onwards.

Not always, sometimes they monitor the traffic sent over the network and anything the security software does not like it can be blocked from that point onwards.
    I am lost as to what to do. I have only standard security software on my Mac. If you are correct then it is pointless me having Asset UPnP. Is there ANYTHING I can do to restore the ability to use Asset UPnP? This was one of the things that persuaded me to purchase the NAIM speaker in the first place, but if I am unable to access my ITunes account then it seems a pointless purchase. Help...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
    I am lost as to what to do. I have only standard security software on my Mac. If you are correct then it is pointless me having Asset UPnP. Is there ANYTHING I can do to restore the ability to use Asset UPnP? This was one of the things that persuaded me to purchase the NAIM speaker in the first place, but if I am unable to access my ITunes account then it seems a pointless purchase. Help...
    Assuming the "Can't Play.. Track Skipped" error is random and Asset UPnP is configured correctly, there are 4 potential problems here.

Problem 1. Software is interfering with the communication of the NAIM and Asset UPnP e.g. your security software.
    Problem 2. You have a problem with your network.
    Problem 3. The DLNA client software (Naim app) has bugs.
    Problem 4. Asset UPnP server software has bugs.

Sadly, problems 1 and 2 are not uncommon. Just browse these forums and see how often these issues arise. First, temporarily disable the security software and see if the problem still exists.

Users often have success by just rebooting the PCs, devices, routers involved, try this also.

As I understand it, your audio library and Asset UPnP reside on the MacBook. To rule out the network and the Naim app, you could install other DLNA client software on the MacBook and try playing tracks via Asset on the MacBook only. If this works OK, then the issue is probably with the network or the NAIM app.

If you are not experienced with the security software on the Mac or troubleshooting network issues, you may have to find someone who is.

What is interesting is when these issues arise, the first thought is Asset UPnP is the culprit. In my experience and on these forums the problems are usually problems 1 and 2, followed by problem 3 and then problem 4.
    Last edited by mville; 03-15-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Assuming the "Can't Play.. Track Skipped" error is random and Asset UPnP is configured correctly, there are 4 potential problems here.

Problem 1. Software is interfering with the communication of the NAIM and Asset UPnP e.g. your security software.
    Problem 2. You have a problem with your network.
    Problem 3. The DLNA client software (Naim app) has bugs.
    Problem 4. Asset UPnP server software has bugs.

Sadly, problems 1 and 2 are not uncommon. Just browse these forums and see how often these issues arise. First, temporarily disable the security software and see if the problem still exists.

Users often have success by just rebooting the PCs, devices, routers involved, try this also.

As I understand it, your audio library and Asset UPnP reside on the MacBook. To rule out the network and the Naim app, you could install other DLNA client software on the MacBook and try playing tracks via Asset on the MacBook only. If this works OK, then the issue is probably with the network or the NAIM app.

If you are not experienced with the security software on the Mac or troubleshooting network issues, you may have to find someone who is.

What is interesting is when these issues arise, the first thought is Asset UPnP is the culprit. In my experience and on these forums the problems are usually problems 1 and 2, followed by problem 3 and then problem 4.
    Thanks for your comprehensive response. I have shut down everything (broadband, Mac, IPhone, IPad and rebooted. That seems to have cracked it - at least for the moment. If I experience the same problem again, I will try your other suggestions. By the way, my first port of call was NAIM. Only after ruling out issues with the speaker did I join this forum to see if the Asset UPnP software could be to blame. As ever in these circumstances, it is often a combination of factors. Regards, MaryS