title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Function Keys / Can't setup PX-40TS For AccurateRip

No Function Keys / Can't setup PX-40TS For AccurateRip

Hello to all,
    I'm new here and enthusiastic about the program and Forum. I purchased version 15 this weekend because I plan to re-rip my CD collection the proper way this time. I used various versions of J River Media Center to rip originally. I haven't been able to start because the drive I want to use doesn't interact properly with Key Discs. It is a Plextor PX40TSi via Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI card. CD Ripper recognizes the drive with the proper drive letter, and it will display the correct metadata. In my first attempt, I inserted Led Zep. 4. It's listed as a Key Disc, and when I put it in the program tells me it can be used to configure Accurate Rip. When I click "Configure", it then tells me that it can't be used and suggests that it might be the wrong version, or the drive might not be "in AccurateRip". Tonight, I tried again with some other discs: CCR "Cosmos Factory", Eagles "G.H. 1&2", Allman Bros "Decade", and a few others. In all cases, Accurate Rip was able to use the disc to set up my other drives, but not the Plextor. I bought this drive and the Scuzzy card specifically for this purpose. I read some older posts about similar issues with this drive. One was heading in the direction of it being an issue with the Read Command not supported in R12. Please tell me there is a way to use this drive with dbpoweramp!
    * Also, the tutorials often recommend using the Function Keys (Ex. F-10) to navigate the program. This would be handy, but they don't seem to work...

Administrator

Re: No Function Keys / Can't setup PX-40TS For AccurateRip

You are using Windows or OSX?

Windows 10

Administrator

Which offset is being found by each of these discs? What is the drive name as it appears exactly in CD Ripper?

I haven't gotten to the point where the program registers info. from this drive. Using the same discs, however, it was able to obtain all necessary info. for my LG, and Matshita drives. I'm not at home today, actually won't be until Thursday, but I do remember questioning the way CD Ripper recognized the drive. It was something like "PLEXTOR -CD-ROM -PX-40-TS".

I read in a similar thread that "CD Ripper >> Options >> Communication >> SCSI Pass through Read D8" fixed another gentleman's problem. I will try this when I get back to my computer. I remember seeing SCSI Pass Through listed as the communication type. Oddly enough, it was also listed for my SATA LG BluRay drive as well as my external UJ-85 which is IDE>USB??? Do you have any idea why my Function Keys do not work with CD Ripper? Another thing I've been wondering about is support for C2 error reporting with the PX-40TS. The drive supports it, but I've heard conflicting accounts as to whether or not it works with dbpoweramp. Here too, the crux of the issue seemed to be the D8 read command...

OK, I'm home now: just tried changing the Communication Type to SCIS Pass Through Read D8. I inserted a key disc Chicago's Greatest Hits, the program hangs hopelessly causing my computer to be unresponsive. The only way I know to get out of this is to power down. This screws up the entire boot sequence and take 3-5 tries to re-boot successfully. This isn't something I'm willing to try again unless there is a strong indication that it will work.
    To recap: the problem is exclusive to my Plextor PX-40TS. CD Ripper identifies it as follows K: [PLEXTOR -CD-ROM PX-40TS ]. When I insert the disc, the information comes up as would be expected. The program goes unresponsive when it attempts to determine the offset; I hear the drive spin up, the waiting hourglass is displayed, but I can still move the mouse, then it slows back down (or possibly stops) and I have no control whatsoever. I've let it continue for at least 15 minutes. Any of the Key Discs I've chosen work just fine with my 2 other drives. The program mentions the possibility that the drive is not in AccurateRip (which I know is not the case), or the Key Disc could be a different version. I am aware that you must restart the program for the Comm. Type changes to take effect.

Administrator

I am thinking it is an incompatibility between CD Rom >> SCSI Adaptor and Windows.

dBpoweramp Guru

Can you play CDs in the Windows 10 Media Player using the Plextor?

No, it displays the info. and looks like its set to play the tracks, but when I actually press Play > "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." I suppose this is the point where it becomes my problem to fix, but I sure would appreciate any suggestions you might have...

BTW: I'm using Adaptec 29320LPE Scuzzy Card. There is no Windows 10 driver for it per say, but the Windows 7 driver in Compatibility Mode is supposed to work. It is working, at some level, because the drive shows up on Windows, and disc info. shows up on programs...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by druguser1 View Post
    I'm using Adaptec 29320LPE Scuzzy Card. There is no Windows 10 driver for it per say, but the Windows 7 driver in Compatibility Mode is supposed to work.
    Can I ask, the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode is supposed to work in Windows 10, is this an Adaptec claim?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Can I ask, the Windows 7 driver in compatibility mode is supposed to work in Windows 10, is this an Adaptec claim?
    No, Adaptec lists just the Windows 7 driver with no 10 support and no plans for it in the future. The claim for support was from SCSI4Me; the vendor who sold me the card. They said it has worked for many of their customers, but they haven't tested it. I don't think its a case of total incompatibility. If that were the case, the card, and the drive would not be recognized in Windows, and certainly the album info. wouldn't appear on CD Ripper and WiMP.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by druguser1 View Post
    No, Adaptec lists just the Windows 7 driver with no 10 support and no plans for it in the future. The claim for support was from SCSI4Me; the vendor who sold me the card. They said it has worked for many of their customers, but they haven't tested it. I don't think its a case of total incompatibility. If that were the case, the card, and the drive would not be recognized in Windows, and certainly the album info. wouldn't appear on CD Ripper and WiMP.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the Adaptec card or the Plextor, but something isn't working. The fact that you can't play CDs suggests this.

I'm not sure what to say except searching the web for Plextor PX40TSi/Adaptec 29320LPE SCSI card/Windows 10 users who have managed to get this combination working, probably via a driver tweak, sadly not my area of expertise.

Thanks mville. There are a few possibilities that I can see causing the trouble I'm experiencing: I didn't mention it previously, but I had to use a 50 pin to 68 pin SCIS adaptor on the Adaptec card (the PX-40TS is 50 pin and the card has a 68 pin internal header). There could be an issue in the adaptor, or the cabling, or perhaps the card doesn't work well with cable adaptors. Its also possible that the drive is defective. I bought it used on eBay for a good deal less than most of the other used PX-40TSi's. The ad. said it was tested and verified to be working, but they may have just put power to it and opened the drawer to determine that. I can't return it, and I don't want to buy another drive unless I can be sure it will work.
    The card has its own BIOS and with a bunch of settings. I left everything set to DEFAULT and read through the manual. There doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent my device from working, but this isn't based on a particularly thorough understanding of SCIS. In the drive manual, Plextor mentions that it works with SCAM, I'll have to look and see if that's implemented in the controller.
    SCSI4Me has generously offered to take the 29320LPE back if I can't get it working, but my time frame is fast running out. I have this weekend to either get it working or get it packed up to return. My preference would be to get it working, but I'm about tapped out on ideas at this point. I'm going to try changing some settings in the card BIOS, and working with the "missing sound device" error message. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them...