title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Star ratings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offtheroad
    • Apr 2015

Star ratings

What exactly do the star rating mean when ripping a CD
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Star ratings

It adds the rating to the id tag, for usage by a compatible player.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Sam_Spade
      • Sep 2016

Dear Spoon

You seem to be a rating expert so instead of opening a new thread I try it this way, directly asking you. So that's what it is about:

I use multi encoder to rip all my 2000 CDs directly to FLAC as well as to MP3. Works perfect. But: Until dBPA version 15... it looked like the software was using a 5 star scale for rating. Means: If I set the rating (with a mouse click in CD ripper) for ex. to 3.5 stars, the rating tag was filled with the value "3.5". Windows shows 4 stars instead of 3.5 stars because it seems not able to show half stars, but I don't care too much about this. But: With dBPA 16... something changed: If I choose (by mouse click) a 3.5 stars rating, the ID tag "rating" is now filled with the value "7" (it seems like dPBA is now using a 1 - 10 scale instead of a 1 - 5 scale rating). Even if I open an old file (which I manually rated with a value of "3.5") it now shows me (using right-click "Edit ID-tag") a value of "7" as content of "rating" tag. No big issue, but confusing. And if I open one of these files in iTunes (which isn't my favourite program for organizing music, I used it just for testing reasons), the ID-Tag "Wertung" (I've a German version of iTunes, not knowing what's the name of the "tag" in English) is empty...

Do you have an explanation for the things that happen here?

Thanks in advance
      and best regards from Switzerland,
      Sam

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Sadly there exists no standard for FLACs star rating, you can set the rating range in 'dBpoweramp Control Centre' >> Audio Codecs 'List / Options'
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Sam_Spade
          • Sep 2016

Thanks for your quick answer, Spoon. I saw this hint (refering to ==> 'dBpoweramp Control Centre' >> Audio Codecs 'List / Options') in one of your older posts and I checked this before I post my message. As far as I can see, I set everything correct (see the link below, I made a printscreen), but this has no effect. The range ist "0 - 5", I checked "4 stars" in CD ripper - but the value in ID tag "rating" is 8. If I change it manually to "4", Windows shows only 2 stars (which is correct in a 1 - 10 range but not in a 1 - 5 range). Do you have any additional ideas? And do you also know why iTunes isn't showing the value of "rating" tag? By the way: It's exactly the same for FLAC as for MP3 as you can see in my printscreen.

Thanks for your effort
          and best regards,
          Sam

Comment

• Sam_Spade
            • Sep 2016

Thanks for your quick answer, Spoon. I saw this hint (refering to ==> 'dBpoweramp Control Centre' >> Audio Codecs 'List / Options') in one of your older posts and I checked this before I post my message. As far as I can see, I set everything correct (see the link below, I made a printscreen), but this has no effect. The range ist "0 - 5", I checked "4 stars" in CD ripper - but the value in ID tag "rating" is 8. If I change it manually to "4", Windows shows only 2 stars (which is correct in a 1 - 10 range but not in a 1 - 5 range). Do you have any additional ideas? And do you also know why iTunes isn't showing the value of "rating" tag? By the way: It's exactly the same for FLAC as for MP3 as you can see in my printscreen ( I'll attach it as a link; I wasn't able to upload a JPG or PNG even if it's only 65 kb).

http://http://www.wrischnig.ch/upload/rating.jpg

Thanks for your effort
            and best regards,
            Sam

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I will make a note and look when next in this area.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Sam_Spade
                • Sep 2016

Thank you Spoon - would be great to hear from you again as soon you find the time for!

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

I have checked and all is working as expected, if you set a rating range 0-5 then this is how it is stored in the flac file, however when displayed in dBpoweramp it is always normalized to 0-10
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>