title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Big Project 3´000 CDs with Several Questions

Big Project 3´000 CDs with Several Questions

Hello Spoon,

dBpoweramp seems to solve all my problems. I have a big ripping project and definitely need some help from you.

My System: Intel Core i7-4790S CPU 3.20GHz / 16 GB Ram / Win 8.1 Pro / x64 Bit / Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB for system only / 1x Hdd WD 3TB for music ripping only --- Acronova Nimbie NB11 with a Pioneer DVR 215 and an inside PC Dvd/Cd drive Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1S.

I intend to rip 3´000 CDs with different genres to a high quality lossless format, FLAC preferred. And then do a conversion to Mp3 256kbps 44.1.

The FLAC files I want to use for daily DJing with NI Traktor on a MacBookPro. Due to the size of all files part of these have to be on the internal Hdd and the other part on an external Hdd or even two.
    The mp3s (256kbps) I want to burn on Dvds as an emergency backup in case the digital system makes problems so I can go on with some Pioneer CDJs and play the night until closing time. Some older DJ-Players only accept mp3-CDs, actually I’d rather have to burn on CDs.

Q 1: Quality sound is very important to me. Could FLAC produce latency especially on external Hdd or should I skip this idea completely and rather use some mp3 256 kbps for daily use with NI Traktor and only with the internal Hdd?

Q 2: Is FLAC 5 enough or rather 8 for my purpose?

Q 3: Is mp3 256 kbps 44.1kHz appropriate for my backup plan or do you recommend some higher rates?

Q 4: Now R15.1 x64 bit version and Perfect Tunes 1.7 are installed. First do I have to uninstall both before run the update I´ve already downloaded?

Q 5: What happens to all the settings/preferences if uninstalled both?

Q 6: Do I have to re-install certain drivers for e.g. Nimbie again?

Q 7: How can I use my CPU multicores most efficiently?

Q 8: When now using Nimbie I have to rip with Batch Converter. CD ripper doesn´t allow me to use it in conjunction with Nimbie. The “Rip” icon is greyed out although I can choose the drive where Nimbie is set. What do I have to change to use Nimbie with CD Ripper? I want to see the “Rip Status” column and the Accurate Rip “Pass Number” which are not provided in Batch Ripper.

Q 9: At the moment when running Nimbie with Batch Ripper I can´t use my internal PC Dvd drive for parallel ripping. But in an older forum article you wrote up to four Nimbies are no problem. What do I have to do to use both parallel in Batch Ripper?

Q 10: A multi-CD compilation is always ripped into the main folder “various artists”. Inside this main folder you will find all sub-folders of the first and second CD of each ripped compilation. How can a main folder named with the compilation name be created where only the two CD folders are contained (and no other compilations)?

Q 11: If the same CD is ripped a second time the old folder and files were over written without any warning. How can I change this e.g. “This CD already exists. Do you want to over write?”?

Q 12: What can I do if both CDs of a compilation are ripped into the same folder and there are both CDs starting with the track numbers (two times 01, two times 02 …)?

Q 13: Naming: Is it better or even necessary to leave blank space between track number, artist and song name? Or is it better to work with e.g. “_” to have a continuous file name?

Q 14: If a song can´t be ripped because of too many errors and is skipped, is there a possibility to write into the file name e.g. “01 Madonna - Like a virgin - error skipped.flac”

Q 15: How can I incorporate the back album cover of a compilation CD where all interprets and song names are as a second jpg?

Q 16: Do you have any further recommendations to me?

Q 17: My valid email address is in your newsletter database but I haven´t received any upgrade notice for previous versions. Do you plan to send an email for the upcoming R16?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Joe

Administrator

Re: Big Project 3´000 CDs with Several Questions

Q1: no, hdds are much faster than 750KB / sec required for FLAC
    2: Yes
    3: No, you are best putting FLAC on 2nd USB hdd, not mp3
    4. Yes
    5. Preserved
    6. No
    7. Is not needed when creating lossless files
    8. It is not possible to use Nimbie outside of batch ripper
    9. Configure the other drive as 'Manual Load & Autoeject'
    10. Not sure what you are asking, please rephrase question and give examples.
    11. From batch ripper it is not possible
    12. Surely the titles would be different?
    13. Spaces are ok this day an age
    14. Use the DSP Effect 'Move on Error'
    15. You would have to do manually after ripping
    17. Yes

Re: Big Project 3´000 CDs with Several Questions

Hello Spoon,

Thank you so much for your fast reply. I am almost set.

Concerning Q 10:
    As seen in the explorer window:
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Nelly\Country Grammar\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Whitesnake\Starkers in Tokyo\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Pop & Wave 3 CD 1\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Pop & Wave 3 CD 2\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Pop & Wave 5 CD 1\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Pop & Wave 5 CD 2\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Bravo Hits 6 (1)\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Bravo Hits 6 (2)\01 track...

The folder Various Artists was created by dBpoweramp when I ripped the first compilation. Since then all compilations are ripped into this folder.
    But I want to change the place for compilations like this:
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave\Pop & Wave 3 CD 1\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave\Pop & Wave 3 CD 2\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave\Pop & Wave 5 CD 1\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave\Pop & Wave 5 CD 2\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Bravo Hits\Bravo Hits 6 (1)\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Bravo Hits\Bravo Hits 6 (2)\01 track...

Or if the above is not possible the following:
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave 3 CD 1\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave 3 CD 2\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave 5 CD 1\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Pop & Wave 5 CD 2\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Bravo Hits 6 (1)\01 track...
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Bravo Hits 6 (2)\01 track...

Concerning Q 10:
    Ripping a compilation both CDs were named with the exact same album name and both are named as Disc 1/1 which all were retrieved automatically. This seems the reason why both are saved in the same folder.
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Bravo Hits 9\01 track "of CD 1"
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Bravo Hits 9\01 track "of CD 2"
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Bravo Hits 9\02 track "of CD 1"
    Drive:\RippedMusic\Various Artists\Bravo Hits 9\02 track "of CD 2"
    &*8230;
    Is there an automatic way to prevent this in the future? I don´t want to do all these re-namings manually in the ID-Tag properties.

Q 18:
    First ripped with Batch Ripper = no errors. Then running AccurateRip separately => errors "Tracks 3, 4, 6, 11, 17 Have Errors". I listened to the first four tracks but I couldn´t hear any glitches or something else. Why is this phenomena?

Q 19:
    While ripping with Batch Ripper or CD Ripper the integrated Album Art didn´t find a cover although it was available on images.amazon. VLC-player did find even another cover (I don´t know where they grab album art). In CD Ripper (lower right corner) at the "+" I can choose "Load (from file)". Is there a way in PerfectTunes-Album Art to do the same?

Q 20:
    In the Meta Data & ID-Tag Options I checked "Force no date on year". But when ripping a compilation the first CD had "2010 10 08" and the second one "2010" which was correct. Is there anything else to change in the settings?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Joe
    Last edited by Joe_H; 02-25-2016 at 06:14 PM.