title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems with multi-disc file naming in R15.3

Question Problems with multi-disc file naming in R15.3

I have a three-disc set I want to rip, Vangelis - Blade Runner, 25th Anniversary. I've set the metadata to 1/3, and I'm trying to get the file name to be:

Vangelis - Blade Runner, 25th Anniversary (Disc 01) - 01 - Main Titles.flac

[Artist] - [Album] - [track] - [title]

I've tried to modify the multi-disc options to put the disc number formatted as above by using a modified built-in preset:

[album] (Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[discnum])

However, when I change the multi-disc naming options to anything other than default set at install it seems to break, and doesn't make any changes for multi-disc sets. Even if I choose one of the other built-in options from the pop-up list in options the multi-disc naming breaks (doesn't happen).

Am I being stupid?

Administrator

Re: Problems with multi-disc file naming in R15.3

[SETLEN]2,48,,[discnum][]

It needs the [] to end the statement

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    [SETLEN]2,48,,[discnum][]

It needs the [] to end the statement
    Oops. Sorry. Missed that the brackets end statements. However, this didn't help. I think it goes beyond my missing the end statement.

When setting the file naming options in CD Ripper, checking the "Show Example as Multi-CD Set" box doesn't modify the Example data if in CD Ripper: Options: Meta Data: Options I choose any of the other preset values for the "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" pop-up menu other than the default "[album], Disc [discnum]". Likewise, when creating the ripped files, CD Ripper ignores the setting for "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" if anything other than the default "[album], Disc [discnum]" is chosen, be it one of the presets or something I enter myself.

Here is the data I've entered for the tags:

CD Ripper Metadata Values.png

"Disc" is set to 1/3, so shouldn't this tell CD Ripper that it is part of a multi-disc and name files accordingly?

dBpoweramp Guru

Please can you post your full Naming string, that isn't working for multi-disc CDs?

Are you using [SETLEN]2,48,,[discnum] to pad disc number? If, yes, you can set:
    CDRipper >> Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag
    and tick Pad disc number to 2 digits (ie 01) instead.
    Last edited by mville; 02-25-2016 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please can you post your full Naming string, that isn't working for multi-disc CDs?

Are you using [SETLEN]2,48,,[discnum] to pad disc number? If, yes, you can set:
    CDRipper >> Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag
    and tick Pad disc number to 2 digits (ie 01) instead.
    Naming: [Artist]\[Artist] - [Album]\[Artist] - [Album] - [track] - [title]

File naming.png

Meta Data & ID Tag: PerfectMeta Options: Multi-CD Add Disc to Album: [album] (Disc [discnum])

Meta Data and ID Tag options.png

These settings do not add the (Disc 1) to the [album] field when writing the file. i.e. I'm getting Vangellis - Blade Runner - 01 - Main Titles.flac

If I use the above settings and click on the "Set" button next to the "Naming" field in the main CD Ripper window and then check "Show Example as Multi-CD Set" the dialog box flickers (refreshes) but the contents of the "Example" field do not change.

File naming with Multi-CD Checked.png

The same thing happens if I choose any preset other than the default, which is the first selection in the pop-up menu, with value set to [album], Disc [discnum]. Likewise, the file naming isn't written in the multi-CD format if I choose any other preset other than the first option in the pop-up menu OR I enter my any custom multi-CD naming options, evens ones copied and pasted from the other presets.
    Last edited by LazLong; 02-26-2016 at 12:40 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Please give the following naming a try:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[tags]album artist, - [],[IFCOMP]Compilation[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title]

What happens?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LazLong View Post
    Naming: [Artist]\[Artist] - [Album]\[Artist] - [Album] - [track] - [title]
    I would also point out that with this Naming string, you could potentially get extremely long folder\filepaths, which in windows, is restricted to 260 characters.

dBpoweramp Guru

These settings do not add the (Disc 1) to the [album] field when writing the file. i.e. I'm getting Vangellis - Blade Runner - 01 - Main Titles.flac
    Try replacing [album] with [album] (Disc [disc])

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Please give the following naming a try:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[tags]album artist, - [],[IFCOMP]Compilation[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title]

What happens?
    Dat Ei
    For the disc in question I get:

\Vangelis\Blade Runner\1-10 Main Titles.flac

Also, in the "Set File Naming" dialog box the example is properly processed, both for single disc and multi-disc examples. I think this reenforces the idea that there is a problem of processing/evaluating the statement in the "Options:Meta Data & Id Tag Options:Perfect Meta Options:Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" field.

I would also point out that with this Naming string, you could potentially get extremely long folder\filepaths, which in windows, is restricted to 260 characters.
    Yes, thank you; I am aware of Window's lameness in this respect, and plan my paths accordingly. Most commonly used Linux and Mac OS X file systems have an unlimited path length, and I wish Microsoft would drop this bit of cruft.

Try replacing [album] with [album] (Disc [disc])
    Where are you suggesting I replace [album], in the "Naming" field in the main CD Ripper window, or in the "Options:Meta Data & Id Tag Options:Perfect Meta Options:Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" field? If in the latter, that is exactly what has started this thread as that was what I tried initially; if the former then yes, that works, but again, this shows that the Multi-CD album naming feature is not working. Isn't detecting and appropriately naming multi-CD titles the reason the "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" option exists?

dBpoweramp Guru

Where are you suggesting I replace [album], in the "Naming" field in the main CD Ripper window, or in the "Options:Meta Data & Id Tag Options:Perfect Meta Options:Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" field? If in the latter, that is exactly what has started this thread as that was what I tried initially; if the former then yes, that works, but again, this shows that the Multi-CD album naming feature is not working. Isn't detecting and appropriately naming multi-CD titles the reason the "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" option exists?
    I was suggesting replacing [album] in your Naming string, which you have discovered works. FYI, I have the Multi-CD Add Disc to Album set to (never).

As with many of the functions/options in CDRipper, it is not entirely clear on either what the function/option does OR exactly when the result of the function/option is applied in the ripping/tagging process. In my experience, if it isn't working as I expect, I use a solution that is, which in this case is to simply add (Disc [disc]) to the Naming string.
    Last edited by mville; 02-27-2016 at 09:30 PM.