title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Where to put album art?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Where to put album art?

I would like to know if Album Art must be inside the same folder that contains either a single flac file or a folder of a flac album? I have a large number of Album Art files that somehow have been placed are in a single folder without any flac or MP3 files. Do I need to manually copy them to the separate folders or can one of my illustrate products do this for me without having to download them again?

Ian

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Where to put album art?

Hey Ian,

best way is to have the album art embeded within the music file. Second best is to have the album art within the folder of the music files.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

I have a single "cover.jpg" file for the album within the same subdirectory of the album for all my FLAC files (typically 1000x1000 size). For my mp3 mirror of my FLAC files, I have the art embedded in the tag of the file (in a smaller size, 300x300).

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Ian,

best way is to have the album art embeded within the music file. Second best is to have the album art within the folder of the music files.

Dat Ei
    Dat Ei,

Is there such a thing as a tagging Album Art? Could my "bulk" Album Art files in the single folder have been previously tagged so that somehow I could automatically get them to be embedded back into their associated flac or MP3 files which are presently in hundreds of folders?

Ian

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Dat Ei,

Is there such a thing as a tagging Album Art? Could my "bulk" Album Art files in the single folder have been previously tagged so that somehow I could automatically get them to be embedded back into their associated flac or MP3 files which are presently in hundreds of folders?

Ian
    Yes, album art can be embedded in file tag. dbpa can easily embed the art if if is in the same album directory. But in a separate directory as in your case I'm not sure it is possible. However, you might consider using illustrate's PerfectTunes product. One thing it is very good at is adding artwork to files/directories without art. It is also good at adding BETTER QUALITY artwork to tracks that already have artwork. Very powerful program!

EDIT: you mean is there a way that your album art has been itself tagged so that it can be matched with your albums? Generally no, but is your album art files named in any particular way (for example, the art file itself has the name of the album or artist?). Also, what program created this album art and put it in a separate directory? Perhaps if you open the files with that program (whatever it is), you can have it embed the art??? For example, itunes puts its artwork in a separate database from the files/directories. But one can use certain free and cheap ($5) programs to automatically take the itunes art and embed into the files themselves so other programs can use the art too.
    Last edited by garym; 02-24-2016 at 07:50 AM.

I have tried PerfectTunes to download artwork but I found that it offers too many unrelated images.

Many of my downloaded files were put into separate folders and only afterwards did I find hundreds of related artwork left behind en masse.

Somehow I had got it into my head that there could be a Windows parent folder holding artwork and that software (?) could find this and either move it to the flac/MP3 subfolder or that it could start an embedding process.

Sorry I'm a newbie as you have no doubt guessed.

Ian

I forgot to ask...Why does mp3tag offer to store Album Art in a "Cover Art Directory"
    Ian