title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

Interesting. I just got rid of my Asus DRW-24B1ST drives, because their ability to read and accurately rip was noticeably inconsistent between one another. Scratched CDs were a true foil for them, too. But, here I'm reading 98.8345 % accuracy. May look into that Lite-On as a secondary drive for when my new Plextor PX-891SAF Plus has issues reading a disc. (It's been quirky, though ultimately more precise than the DRW-24B1STs so far)

Any chance for an update on this 2016 list?? It would be appreciated by at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by yourpalfranc View Post
    Any chance for an update on this 2016 list?? It would be appreciated by at least one.
    Make that two

Lightbulb Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

three !

As I rip a lot of discs : Submit AccurateRip Results !.png

(sorry, I don't know why the upload was disabled)

I'd like to upgrade the poor drive on my main rig (93.7714 % accuracy, bottom of the list)

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016: PX-230A computation

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post
    I wanted to post. It's Christmas Eve, and for myself for Christmas , I picked up a Lite-On iHAS124-03 W revision WU, and an Vantec enclosure. Got everything together and connected to my Win XP rip PC, in like 15 min. The drive is a lot quieter than the 2 Plextor PX-W4824TU's that have been my workhorses over the last 5 or so years. That Plextor is not the 230, but prices are rising even for that one. The Lite-On/Vantec combo cost less than $60. Have always been nervous about not being able to get Plextors as they get older and pricier, so I should be really set for the foreseeable future now. :-D
    Well, my Lite-On lasted less than 2.5 years. It's damaged 3 out of the last 10 or so CDs/DVDs I've ripped on it. Dug concentric circles into them for some reason. Not every disc, that's why it took 3 for me to figure out what was going on. Now trying to decide if I want to try another one (tempt fate?), or something different ... I've probably ripped 100 discs on it or more.

Re: Time for a 2018 drive accuracy list?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Have you tried to repair the drive? Clean the lens (damp cloth with slightly soapy water or if necessary Isopropyl.) Go easy so as not to mess up the delicate suspension. Clean and lightly lubricate the rails the lens assembly rides on. Obviously, clean any dust or dirt elsewhere inside.

Many drives fail because of these simple mechanical issues.
    I have tried it many times but didn't get any result.

I've spent quite a lot of time testing drives and listening to the results. Mains powerered drives work better as they have more juice to keep up with the data flow and pick up errors. The best drive on the market is the Melco D100. It's designed purely for ripping music and rips very slowly, with virtually no vibration reaching the laser. Don't take any notice of Accurip, it purely compares results to files others have ripped, with error corrected data from the drive. I've got dozens of files ripped using various drives and software. I can spot the files ripped with the Melco blind - more space, less hash and smearing, more life to the music. It's expensive, but you're not hearing what's on the disc without it or similar.

dBpoweramp Guru

With respect, this comment clearly does not understand the technical aspects of accuraterip or digital file extraction.

Administrator

ADIHEAD is a person who has spent $$$$ on a drive for ripping and needs to justify that his rip is better than a $20 drive, when in reality it is not (it is actually worse as it does not use AccurateRip).

AccurateRip works by reading the disc and comparing the result to other peoples rips 'on different drives'. If the resulting files match up, with a matching check-sum, this guarantees a perfect tip.

Instead he has a drive which relies solely on the internals of the drive to self detect errors, what he does not know is that c2 error detection mathematically is not perfect and will left through around 1% of errors undetected!!! Oh dear.

AccurateRip has ripped close to half a billion CDs, that is lots of statistical data to go off, we know which drives work well and which do not.

Firstly, I haven't spent any money on the ripping drive - it's a review sample from the manufacturer, which has now been returned. Secondly, ALL drives correct errors, caused by vibration,as well as dirt, scratches etc internally, hence the limited ineffectiveness of Accurip. Accurip only checks data file sizes etc, it doesn't check the 1's & 0's, which will vary depending on what error correction took place within the drive, before it reached the PC. I have posted to help others save the time I wasted, re-ripping 600CD's after I began to appreciate the effect of the transport. Mathmatics doesn't change the fact my entire family and every friend I've invited over, can hear the difference between the files ripped with an LG Drive, Buffalo mains powered Bluray Dive and the Melco D100. Hopefully users who are prepared to have a listen for themselves will do so before they rip their collections. Not sure why you say my drive doesn't use Accurip? It is fed into the PC and Accurip scans as usual.
    Last edited by ADIHEAD; 06-16-2019 at 03:00 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ADIHEAD View Post
    Accurip only checks data file sizes etc, it doesn't check the 1's & 0's
    Sorry, this is entirely incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Sorry, this is entirely incorrect.
    Please explain why 3 rips, which all pass as accurate all sound different?

dBpoweramp Guru

Please explain why 3 rips, which all pass as accurate all sound different?
    If the 3 files are identical (determined with comparing checksums) and there is no DSP effect added to one but not all files (e.g., REPLAYGAIN info in a TAG used by the player), then they should sound identical if played on same playback chain. This is not opinion. This is science and engineering.

dBpoweramp Guru

... I have posted to help others save the time I wasted, re-ripping 600CD's after I began to appreciate the effect of the transport. Mathmatics doesn't change the fact my entire family and every friend I've invited over, can hear the difference between the files ripped with an LG Drive, Buffalo mains powered Bluray Dive and the Melco D100. Hopefully users who are prepared to have a listen for themselves will do so before they rip their collections...
    ... and I too am posting a reply to this post to help others by advising them not to be taken in by the information provided as it is utter nonsense. Unless you are prepared to really understand digital audio, please refrain from posting such misleading rubbish.

I see this forum is for people who refuse to actually listen! There is science to this! All CD rippers use error correction, if this takes place then you get 'guessed' data from the circuit in the drive. This is why we can hear a difference between drives. Accuraterip cannon correct these errors, as everyone else's uploaded files are full of these errors. Download a FLAC or WAV from Qobuz, or 7 Digital etc, in 16/44. Then rip same file on a cheap computer drive. You'll hear the difference.