title
Products            Purchase            Codec Central            Forum & Support            Professional            About

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016: PX-230A computation

I wanted to post. It's Christmas Eve, and for myself for Christmas , I picked up a Lite-On iHAS124-03 W revision WU, and an Vantec enclosure. Got everything together and connected to my Win XP rip PC, in like 15 min. The drive is a lot quieter than the 2 Plextor PX-W4824TU's that have been my workhorses over the last 5 or so years. That Plextor is not the 230, but prices are rising even for that one. The Lite-On/Vantec combo cost less than $60. Have always been nervous about not being able to get Plextors as they get older and pricier, so I should be really set for the foreseeable future now. :-D

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016: PX-230A computation

Hello,

I want to get a good drive for ripping my old CDs into FLACs. I'm new to the issue. My current rig doesn't have any drive at all because I think it's useless besides anything but ripping audio. So I didn't get any random drive while builing my PC. Now I want one with good accuracy. I live outside North America/EU so my options are much more limited in terms of what I can find over here. I found a model called Pioneer BDR-209EBK brand new for about 53USD. Is this a good model? Does anyone have this and can say anything about its accuracy? Thank you.

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016: C2 capability

Sorry but I still confused :(

Please really please anyone can JUST give a link to buy the best one? ebay, amazon link? Totally lost with too links, too variations...

I'm a mac computer user with a macbook pro and want rip my cds with XLD. I need buy a external drive and buy an enclosure, by the way what's the best enclosure to buy USB 3 or something?

thanks!!!
    Last edited by Spoon; 02-02-2017 at 04:21 AM.

Hi. Could anyone please recommend an accurate drive for ripping CDs? My Windows machine is nearly ten years old and seems wobbly. I have an iMac, too, but I have noticed that ripping with an external SuperDrive often takes many times longer than ripping with my ancient Windows computer, so I wonder whether there is something wrong with it. I also have an external Blu-Ray reader/writer for the Mac.

I suppose I could replace the Windows computer, but what DVD drive or CD drive (if someone still makes those) should I buy for it? I get the sense that the obsolete drives rip most accurately, but does no one currently make a drive that can accurately extract the zeros and ones from an audio CD?

Thanks for any help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLA View Post
    Hi. Could anyone please recommend an accurate drive for ripping CDs? My Windows machine is nearly ten years old and seems wobbly. I have an iMac, too, but I have noticed that ripping with an external SuperDrive often takes many times longer than ripping with my ancient Windows computer, so I wonder whether there is something wrong with it. I also have an external Blu-Ray reader/writer for the Mac.

I suppose I could replace the Windows computer, but what DVD drive or CD drive (if someone still makes those) should I buy for it? I get the sense that the obsolete drives rip most accurately, but does no one currently make a drive that can accurately extract the zeros and ones from an audio CD?

Thanks for any help.
    A couple of friends are getting good results from the Lite-On iHAS 124-14. Still seem to be readily available from a well known auction site!

I have a HP Envy laptop running win 7 with no cd drive. These are the items I am looking at to rip my cd's. EAC to rip said CD's.

https://www.amazon.com/Lite-Internal...00ERJXTE4?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-53...+3.0+enclosure

Are these the only items I need to get started? I'm not a audiophile or anything. I just like clean music. I can tell a difference between FLAC and itunes garbage. I also will not be buying FLAC from Tidal (overpriced).

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    I have a HP Envy laptop running win 7 with no cd drive. These are the items I am looking at to rip my cd's. EAC to rip said CD's.

Are these the only items I need to get started? I'm not a audiophile or anything. I just like clean music. I can tell a difference between FLAC and itunes garbage. I also will not be buying FLAC from Tidal (overpriced).

I don't see a edit button.

I need to mention that I have a Macbook Pro 2015. Can I convert FLAC TO ALAC without losing quality? Or could I use that setup mentioned above on osx?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post

Yes, that is all you need. The Vantec appears to be a very well designed, neat solution.

now I need extract blu ray movies to mkv and music cds too, so the idea of just ONE drive to do all works sounds great, so I go to the SECOND on the list:
    Drive: PIONEER - BD-RW BDR-S08
    anyone know how identify that model to buy it? any ready to use external? https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...omputer+Drives
    I'm on mac.

Double question:
    - In general, is it better to use an ATAPI drive over a SATA? Or it depends on the models?
    - (same question about a specific model) Is it better to use Plextor PX760SA (SATA) or PX760A (ATAPI)
    Thank you.

Is there a list of the most accurate/secure outboard USB drives in 2017/2018 somewhere, or can anybody make any recommendations?

I'm currently using two LG GP65NB60 with my MacBook Pro, and they've been doing a decent job so far, but I've had some trouble getting secure rips lately and I'm looking for a good backup USB drive for problem discs.

Thanks!