title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Time for a 2018 drive accuracy list?

Hey ADIHEAD,

Quote Originally Posted by ADIHEAD View Post
    I see this forum is for people who refuse to actually listen! There is science to this! All CD rippers use error correction, if this takes place then you get 'guessed' data from the circuit in the drive.
    you refuse to accept the way accuraterip works and to understand what a MD5 checksum is. If two files are identical bit by bit, it does not matter where those bits came from - these two files will sound identical as long as you use the same hifi equipment.

CD Ripper reads out the data of a Audio CD. This is different to the way an Audio CD is handled, if you play it on a audio cd player. Like Spoon said, if a digital read out of the data would be as problematic as you said, then we would have no chance to install any software from a CD or to read other document types (like word dorcuments) without errors.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

All CD rippers use error correction, if this takes place then you get 'guessed' data from the circuit in the drive.
    If error correction has been performed by 2 different drives and 2 different CD's and the checksums match, then the error correction has been accurately performed and thus you have an accurate rip.

dBpoweramp Guru

This is why we can hear a difference between drives. Accuraterip cannon correct these errors, as everyone else's uploaded files are full of these errors.
    Think a bit about what you are asserting here. The above statement means that if I have a rip with an AR match of say, 30, then 30 other people, using 30 different physical CDs, on 30 different computers/drives managed to produce the EXACT SAME ERRORS that were corrected in the EXACT SAME WAY by the CD drive. The odds of this have to be in the trillions to one range.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    ADIHEAD is a person who has spent $$$$ on a drive for ripping and needs to justify that his rip is better than a $20 drive, when in reality it is not (it is actually worse as it does not use AccurateRip).

AccurateRip works by reading the disc and comparing the result to other peoples rips 'on different drives'. If the resulting files match up, with a matching check-sum, this guarantees a perfect tip.

Instead he has a drive which relies solely on the internals of the drive to self detect errors, what he does not know is that c2 error detection mathematically is not perfect and will left through around 1% of errors undetected!!! Oh dear.

AccurateRip has ripped close to half a billion CDs, that is lots of statistical data to go off, we know which drives work well and which do not.
    Hello, just found this thread on google when I was searching for the best drive, I want to make a backup of my ps1 and ps2 collection and burn it to a verbatim azo disc at the max speed possible (which is supposed to be the best burn quality?) , since I'm from Europe I can't get that Asus DRW-24B1ST drive, my only choices are ASUS DRW-24D5MT, ASUS DRW-24F1ST, LG GH24NS, Lite On IHAS124 (don't know which revision it is), they are all the same price more or less, which one do you recommend? I'm more inclined to the Lite On.
    Last edited by Samekas; 06-22-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added info

Administrator

This list is for audio reading capabilities, data cd reading (of which a playstation disc is) will be different.

This list is for audio reading capabilities, data cd reading (of which a playstation disc is) will be different.
    I see but still, which one do you recommend then for a audio rip?

Administrator

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016: C2 capability

Any on the top list would be more than good enough.

Any on the top list would be more than good enough.
    Yeah, like I don't know that... Thanks for your "help", I guess I need to purchase that garbage software you sell first. Maybe back in 200X you would sell this garbage but these days there is so many stuff better and free.
    Last edited by Samekas; 06-22-2019 at 04:51 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Samekas View Post
    Yeah, like I don't know that... Thanks for your "help", I guess I need to purchase that garbage software you sell first. Maybe back in 200X you would sell this garbage but these days there is so many stuff better and free.
    Perhaps you clearly don't understand the value of AccurateRip. With AR, almost any drive will work. And I've seen Spoon give the exact same advice to others he just gave to you. To paraphrase: It really doesn't matter what drive you use as long as it is one of the generally acceptable drives and not one of the known bad drives. I use several drives, most of them cheap, throwaways. And I can get AR verified rips from all of them. The old days of concern over having a few very specific drives for getting good audio rips are long past.

Administrator

What an angry response...there is nothing forcing you to purchase our software, as we allow other rippers, even free ones to use AccurateRip.
    Last edited by Spoon; 06-23-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

Quick question regarding this list of accurate drives.

I have started my journey towards digitizing my CD collection, and I've been using XLD but I'm not 100% which are the right settings for the best possible FLAC file I can get.
    I'm planning on getting the FiiO Q5s when it comes out and just enjoy my collection.

I have a Mac Pro and I have a Samsung external drive that is not fancy at all but it seems to be doing the job. It's listed as TSSTcorp CDDVDW SE-218CB which is not at the top of the list, or in the list at all, but XLD says the hardware is good for CD Paranoia, not for XLD Secure Ripper. I'm fine buying another one.

So far, Amazon lists the * 1 on the list (ATAPI- iHAS124) for $20 https://tinyurl.com/y63o6h4t

But there's a newer version (ATAPI- IHAS324-17) for under the same money: https://tinyurl.com/y44tfb8z I have no way of checking if this is better

There's this case from OWC https://tinyurl.com/y4x69zso

Any ideas? I can stick to the *1 listed with the OWC case, but how about the settings for XLD? should I use another ripper?

Thank you!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

Virtually any CD drive will work fine (that's the entire point of AccurateRip).** Regarding XLD settings, you should ask on an XLD forum. dBpoweramp (this forum's product) does have a Mac version.

**EDIT: It is probably more important to have 2 or 3 different CD drives. I have CDs that won't rip accurately on one drive but will on another.
    Last edited by garym; 06-30-2019 at 05:19 PM.