title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016: C2 capability

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLA View Post
    Hi. Could anyone please recommend an accurate drive for ripping CDs? My Windows machine is nearly ten years old and seems wobbly. I have an iMac, too, but I have noticed that ripping with an external SuperDrive often takes many times longer than ripping with my ancient Windows computer, so I wonder whether there is something wrong with it. I also have an external Blu-Ray reader/writer for the Mac.

I suppose I could replace the Windows computer, but what DVD drive or CD drive (if someone still makes those) should I buy for it? I get the sense that the obsolete drives rip most accurately, but does no one currently make a drive that can accurately extract the zeros and ones from an audio CD?

Thanks for any help.
    A couple of friends are getting good results from the Lite-On iHAS 124-14. Still seem to be readily available from a well known auction site!

I have a HP Envy laptop running win 7 with no cd drive. These are the items I am looking at to rip my cd's. EAC to rip said CD's.

https://www.amazon.com/Lite-Internal...00ERJXTE4?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-53...+3.0+enclosure

Are these the only items I need to get started? I'm not a audiophile or anything. I just like clean music. I can tell a difference between FLAC and itunes garbage. I also will not be buying FLAC from Tidal (overpriced).

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    I have a HP Envy laptop running win 7 with no cd drive. These are the items I am looking at to rip my cd's. EAC to rip said CD's.

Are these the only items I need to get started? I'm not a audiophile or anything. I just like clean music. I can tell a difference between FLAC and itunes garbage. I also will not be buying FLAC from Tidal (overpriced).

I don't see a edit button.

I need to mention that I have a Macbook Pro 2015. Can I convert FLAC TO ALAC without losing quality? Or could I use that setup mentioned above on osx?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post

Yes, that is all you need. The Vantec appears to be a very well designed, neat solution.

Double question:
    - In general, is it better to use an ATAPI drive over a SATA? Or it depends on the models?
    - (same question about a specific model) Is it better to use Plextor PX760SA (SATA) or PX760A (ATAPI)
    Thank you.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Is there a list of the most accurate/secure outboard USB drives in 2017/2018 somewhere, or can anybody make any recommendations?

I'm currently using two LG GP65NB60 with my MacBook Pro, and they've been doing a decent job so far, but I've had some trouble getting secure rips lately and I'm looking for a good backup USB drive for problem discs.

Thanks!

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016: PX-230A computation

Quote Originally Posted by HamLet View Post
    I am unclear about the accuracy computation: The Accuracy List 2016 says
    Drive: PLEXTOR - CD-R PX-230A (131 users): Submissions: 6957 accurate, 118 inaccurate, 98.3322 % accuracy
    The 2014 list says
    Drive: PLEXTOR - CD-R PX-230A (126 users): Submissions: 6591 accurate, 56 inaccurate, 99.1575 % accuracy
    So if (big if) my understanding is correct in the last two years there are 5 new users of PX-230A but among the 131 (new and old) 230A users they submitted 6957-6591 = 366 new rips of which 118-56 = 62 were inaccurate! Now that seems bonkers, since it implies an accuracy of barely 83% on the new rips!!! What's going on?

BTW, the PX230A is still my favorite together with liteon ATAPI iHBS212. These are the fastest and most accurate drives I have (among a dozen or so). I have both a iHAS124 F and W, I like the F better than W, but the Bluray iHBS212 is usually the best. My standard workflow is to do 1 Pass on the PX230A or iHBS212 This results in an accurate rip in 90% of the cases in about 2 minutes. If not, polish the disk and try again in secure mode. If not start trying other drives.

Thanks! -- Ham
    I was digging around to find help with my Nimbie setup and saw this post. A quick comment:

As the population of a certain model drive ages, the aging effects of wearout will begin to show up. This is especially true of mechanical based systems, i.e., a spinning optic drive. The old PX230A Plextor drives are getting long in the tooth, so I would be expecting things like bearing wear, spring weakening, dust and dirt on the optics, etc. to start to have a significant effect on the rip quality. Unfortunately, all drives will go down this slippery slope, but that is why AccurateRip helps. Drives that start out at the top of the list will slowly move down the list over time, and then quicker when the manufacturer stops making them.

Another point to make is the difference in the top of the list versus the bottom. If I average the performance of the last 4 bottom drives and compare to the average of the top 4 drives, the difference is about 0.5%. You would think this is not significant, except this means 1 out of 200 **songs**, if I understand the chart data correctly. So if you rip 50 CDs with about 10 songs per CD = 500 songs, you are likely to get 2-3 bad song rips per 50 CD stack. Not bad, but it does increase the number of corrective rips.

Optical drives are like most things - they are going to get worse as they get older. I don't believe buying an old worn out high performance drive on Ebay is not going to get you much better results than a new nearly identical performance drive. Would you buy a hard drive from Ebay?

- Charles

Wink Time for a 2018 drive accuracy list?

Hey Spoon:

Following the success of the 2014 and 2016 lists, I think it's time for a 2018 version! Many thanks, -- Ham

Re: Time for a 2018 drive accuracy list?

yes that would be great. I am currently looking for a drive - and everyone i tried so far is not available. So as i was just happy to have found such a list - im now disappointed cause it is kinda useless for me if no drive from the list can be bought.

I only found an IHAS124-14 and 04 - but no w (if i read this thread right this would be IHAS124-03).

Also: as i currently only use a small mini-itx with linux/ubuntu with no space for a drive i bought a usb-Sata Adapter (from inateck). Using this is no problem is it??

Greetings and Salutations,

One of my beloved drives finally failed this week :-(

Should I hold out hope for a 2018 drive list?

In the meantime the top 3 sellers on Amazon are

1 Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    2 Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Optical Drive IHAS124-14
    3 LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support DVD Burner (GH24NSC0B) Bundle with Nero 12 Essentials Burning Software + Cable Kit

Does anyone have any experience/feedback on any of these suspects?

Thanks,
    Trainer

dBpoweramp Guru

Have you tried to repair the drive? Clean the lens (damp cloth with slightly soapy water or if necessary Isopropyl.) Go easy so as not to mess up the delicate suspension. Clean and lightly lubricate the rails the lens assembly rides on. Obviously, clean any dust or dirt elsewhere inside.

Many drives fail because of these simple mechanical issues.

Hi schmidj,

Thanks for the reply :-)

I have not. It appears not to be a mechanical failure. It will accept the disc and spin attempt to read but after ~90 sec to 2 minutes the orange light of death flashes without any data being sent to the OS. To be perfectly honest, just prior to failure I had unplugged the power supply and SATA leading in because I needed to clone a drive and did not have the time to buy an external drive enclosure. :-) doh! doh! doh! :-)
    Thanks again,
    Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Trainerwump View Post
    Greetings and Salutations,

One of my beloved drives finally failed this week :-(

Should I hold out hope for a 2018 drive list?

In the meantime the top 3 sellers on Amazon are

1 Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    2 Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Optical Drive IHAS124-14
    3 LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support DVD Burner (GH24NSC0B) Bundle with Nero 12 Essentials Burning Software + Cable Kit

Does anyone have any experience/feedback on any of these suspects?

Thanks,
    Trainer
    I had good luck with the LiteOn iHAS124-14 F. It is a fast and accurate drive. It is an OEM model, so no cables, manual, etc. Should cost $15- $20 new. But I don't know if all iHAS124-14 are F or not. There is for example an older iHAS124 W, that is accurate but much slower. You can see the various series and their firmwares at http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/drives.html You can try asking the seller what series it is or ask them for a picture of the label.

I didn't try any of the other drives.

HTH,

-- Ham

Thank you Ham,

I appreciate both the input on the LiteOn and the thought on checking into the firmware. Will do a little research from the URL you included.

Thanks again, you did help me
    Trainer

I vote for an updated list! Even more so a real time list that updates semi frequently.