title
Products            Purchase            Codec Central            Forum & Support            Professional            About

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2016

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Time for a 2018 drive accuracy list?

Have you tried to repair the drive? Clean the lens (damp cloth with slightly soapy water or if necessary Isopropyl.) Go easy so as not to mess up the delicate suspension. Clean and lightly lubricate the rails the lens assembly rides on. Obviously, clean any dust or dirt elsewhere inside.

Many drives fail because of these simple mechanical issues.

Hi schmidj,

Thanks for the reply :-)

I have not. It appears not to be a mechanical failure. It will accept the disc and spin attempt to read but after ~90 sec to 2 minutes the orange light of death flashes without any data being sent to the OS. To be perfectly honest, just prior to failure I had unplugged the power supply and SATA leading in because I needed to clone a drive and did not have the time to buy an external drive enclosure. :-) doh! doh! doh! :-)
    Thanks again,
    Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Trainerwump View Post
    Greetings and Salutations,

One of my beloved drives finally failed this week :-(

Should I hold out hope for a 2018 drive list?

In the meantime the top 3 sellers on Amazon are

1 Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    2 Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Optical Drive IHAS124-14
    3 LG Internal 24x Super Multi with M-DISC Support DVD Burner (GH24NSC0B) Bundle with Nero 12 Essentials Burning Software + Cable Kit

Does anyone have any experience/feedback on any of these suspects?

Thanks,
    Trainer
    I had good luck with the LiteOn iHAS124-14 F. It is a fast and accurate drive. It is an OEM model, so no cables, manual, etc. Should cost $15- $20 new. But I don't know if all iHAS124-14 are F or not. There is for example an older iHAS124 W, that is accurate but much slower. You can see the various series and their firmwares at http://www.firmwarehq.com/Lite-On/drives.html You can try asking the seller what series it is or ask them for a picture of the label.

I didn't try any of the other drives.

HTH,

-- Ham

Thank you Ham,

I appreciate both the input on the LiteOn and the thought on checking into the firmware. Will do a little research from the URL you included.

Thanks again, you did help me
    Trainer