title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Track number w/wo track count not working with FLAC

Track number w/wo track count not working with FLAC

Hi, been using CD Ripper for a while now but have recently switched from ripping MP3s to FLACs. I'm noticing that even though the metadata options "Track number without track count" and "Disc number without disc count" remain unchecked, the FLACs being ripped do not have the total track number or disc number included. This information seems to be there as expected when MP3s are created, just not with FLACs. I can go in later with another program like Mp3tag and edit them so I don't believe it's a limitation of the format. I'm wondering if this is a bug in CD Ripper or by design. Anyone care to comment, thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Track number w/wo track count not working with FLAC

In MP3Tag, right-click on a flac and select Extended Tags... In the Extended Tags window you should see all tags listed.

Please can you confirm that DISCNUMBER, DISCTOTAL, TRACKNUMBER and TRACKTOTAL are not in the list?

These 4 tags may be named differently, depending on any mapping you have used in dBpoweramp Configuration and/or MP3Tag. For vorbis comments I have TRACKNUMBER mapped to TRACK in MP3Tag and I use the default mappings for FLAC ID Tagging in dBpoweramp Configuration.
    Last edited by mville; 02-14-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: reference to mapping

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In MP3Tag, right-click on a flac and select Extended Tags... In the Extended Tags window you should see all tags listed.

Please can you confirm that DISCNUMBER, DISCTOTAL, TRACKNUMBER and TRACKTOTAL are not in the list?

These 4 tags may be named differently, depending on any mapping you have used in dBpoweramp Configuration and/or MP3Tag. For vorbis comments I have TRACKNUMBER mapped to TRACK in MP3Tag and I use the default mappings for FLAC ID Tagging in dBpoweramp Configuration.
    I'm not following you here. Are you talking about a *.flac file that was created, or something within the CD Ripper? I don't see anything with any "Extended Tags" options.

...Guess I need to read the ENTIRE post....back after looking into this....
    Last edited by GumbyDammit223; 02-14-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Ok...looking at a FLAC file with MP3Tag, DISCNUMBER, DISCTOTAL, TRACKNUMBER and TRACKTOTAL are in the Extended Tags list, yet the files still show as xx instead of xx/yy. I have not changed anything from the default mapping in either CD Ripper or MP3Tag. If I do go into MP3Tag and try to change how the fields are shown, I really don't see any options to make subtle changes like this, only gross ones for example changing the "Track" column to display the artist name, or something equally foolish. Also, if I mouseover a FLAC file in windoze exploder, the dBpoweramp window comes up and there it correctly shows the track number as xx/yy.

Like I said in my initial post, I can rip the same song as an MP3 and a FLAC without changing anything else, and track/disc information for the MP3 is in the xx/yy format. I also don't see any way to change it to anything but what is logical (in my mind anyway). Were it not for the fact I can go into MP3Tag and edit the information in the FLAC files to make it look the way I want, I would have thought it was some sort of limitation in MP3Tag. Since I can to this, I have to point my finger at dBpoweramp. Hence my confusion.

dBpoweramp Guru

It appears the tags are being written correctly by dBpoweramp. I am not sure why you think that there is a problem with dBpoweramp.

The tagging standards used in mp3 and flac are different (ID3 for mp3 and Vorbis Comments for flac) and this difference has confused many end users, so you are not alone there.

If you want to see flac track and disc tags in MP3Tag, the same way you see mp3 track and disc tags, you can either create new columns containing the tags with the formatting you desire e.g. xx/yy OR map the flac (vorbis comments) tags to the same tag names used by mp3 (ID3).

dBpoweramp Guru

It appears the tags are being written correctly by dBpoweramp. I am not sure why you think that there is a problem with dBpoweramp.

The tagging standards used in mp3 and flac are different (ID3 for mp3 and Vorbis Comments for flac) and this difference has confused many end users, so you are not alone there.

If you want to see flac track and disc tags in MP3Tag, the same way you see mp3 track and disc tags, you can either create new columns containing the tags with the formatting you desire e.g. xx/yy OR map the flac (vorbis comments) tags to the same tag names used by mp3 (ID3).
    Agree. dbpa and mp3tag are working properly. If you want mp3tag to display the xx/xx info:
    1. right click on column headings
    2. create custom columns
    3. Give it a name like "Track/Total"
    4. in the value, enter: %track%/%tracktotal%

dBpoweramp Guru

FYI, here is how I see the same album, flac and mp3 in my MP3Tag: