title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: All WMA Rip/Conversion Attempts = clEncoder::BeginConversion

All WMA Rip/Conversion Attempts = clEncoder::BeginConversion

For starters, I am in the Windows 10 Insider program and this *might* be the cause since I get "fast track" (more or less beta) updates of the operating system from time to time.

I have had this problem on both of these builds:

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview / Version 1511 (10.0.14251) / Build 14251.rs1_release.160124-1059

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview / Version 1511 (10.0.14257) / Build 14257.rs1_release.160131-1800

Every attempt to rip to WMA or convert from any format to WAM results in clEncoder::BeginConversion. Full error:

Error ripping to Windows Media Audio 10, 'Track 1' to 'C:\Users\X\Music\la la la\Something Here - 01 - Real.wma'
    Error Starting WMA Writing (unknown reason). [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    I'm running (I think) the newest version of dbPowerAmp (15.03) and the newest WMA codec from Codec Central.

Aside from leaving the Windows Insider fast track... are there any other suggestions, solutions or workarounds?

I will keep looking but I couldn't find anything in the forums specific to Window 10 or Insider builds.

Thank you!!

Administrator

Re: All WMA Rip/Conversion Attempts = clEncoder::BeginConversion

I not think there is anything we can do on our side as the wma codec has not been changed in 8 years, and we have never seen this error before. It is possible that WMA is broken on your system, you would need to check with another 3rd party conversion program which uses the wma system. (not Windows Media Player, or ffmpeg as they use their own).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hm...this is interesting.

I am having the same problem, also running Windows 10, enrolled into the Windows Insider program.

Administrator

Report to Microsoft please, it sounds like they have broken the codec.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Will be more than happy to, i'm guessing the might ask for specifics on what you're hooking into in order to do the encoding, so you have any info you can share...or i can message you if they (ever) get back to me.

Administrator

We use the Windows Media Format 11 SDK .

I tested a CD rip on a stable Windows 10 machine and WMA worked perfectly. The same CD on my Windows 10 Insider 14257 failed. This problem also affects Windows Media Player... nothing seems to be able to rip to WMA in build 14257 (or the previous 14251) - but all other formats are fine. I posted info to Windows Feedback: Windows-Feedback:?contextid=156&feedbackid=fc765b79-d467-4b9a-a4f9-a2365790be70&form=1&src=2

Thanks for your help!!!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Seems to be working again in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14271