title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"Flac uncompressed" not correctly working with HDCD conversions (24/44.1)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -ol-
    • Mar 2015

"Flac uncompressed" not correctly working with HDCD conversions (24/44.1)

Hi,

I´ve got the following problem: When decoding a file using the HDCD-plugin (regardless of +6dB or not) to "FLAC uncompressed" some sort of compression is still applied, resulting in a file that is about a third smaller than a "real" uncompressed one. When trying to convert this file again manually (to "FLAC uncompressed) nothing changes, same "compressed" file size.

I assume since 4 of the 24 bits are not actually used in the described case, the FLAC converter always compresses the resulting zeros? Every other sort of file is working fine BTW, 0% compression all the way. I´ve found nothing in the FLAC decoder settings to change, any clue or advice would be great and much appreciated

Thanks for your help,
    Oliver
    Last edited by -ol-; 02-10-2016, 03:57 PM.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: "Flac uncompressed" not correctly working with HDCD conversions (24/44.1)

See this recent thread, specifically post no. 6.

Comment

• -ol-
      • Mar 2015

Thanks a lot mville, I didn´t see that one.

Strictly speaking I would consider that behavior a (admittedly minor) bug, isn´t it? Uncompressed should really be uncompressed under all (!) circumstances. And please: No debate on audible differences of Flac vs. Wav...

I now solved the problem by converting to .wav, the tags are correctly recognized in LMS.

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

Hey -ol-,

Originally posted by -ol-
        And please: No debate on audible differences of Flac vs. Wav...
        promised, no debate about that. But give me an idea, why you insist on uncompressed flac?

Dat Ei

Comment

• -ol-
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dat Ei
          promised, no debate about that. But give me an idea, why you insist on uncompressed flac? Dat Ei
          Hey Dat Ei... because I want to store uncompressed audio-files with maximum tag compatibility. To my knowledge at the moment that means "Flac uncompressed", doesn´t it?

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

I want to store uncompressed audio-files with maximum tag compatibility. To my knowledge at the moment that means "Flac uncompressed", doesn´t it?
            Unless there is something about uncompressed flacs that I do not know, you get the same tag compatibility, regardless of the compression level used.

Perhaps you are getting confused between audio level compression and data compression?
            Last edited by mville; 02-10-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Dat Ei
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by mville
              Perhaps you are getting confused between audio level compression and data compression?
              That's my suspicion too. That's why I've asked.

Dat Ei

Comment

• -ol-
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mville
                Unless there is something about uncompressed flacs that I do not know, you get the same tag compatibility, regardless of the compression level used.

Actually I don´t know why you are trying to give me an unasked-for lecture?

I am well aware of the fact that all kinds of .flac (uncompressed or compressed 0-8) are taggable in the same way and also that they are all in the end bit-perfect (=losless, regardless of the used compression rate). For reasons I won´t discuss here I wish to keep an uncompressed (!) .flac... this always works flawlessly using dbpoweramp apart from the one special described case. It´s not the end of the world, I just wanted to point that out. Thanks to the link you provided it became clear that I am not the first one to observe the described behavior.

Not much more to say in my eyes, actually...
                Last edited by -ol-; 02-12-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

Actually I don´t know why you are trying to give me an unasked-for lecture?

I am well aware of the fact that all kinds of .flac (uncompressed or compressed 0-8) are taggable in the same way and also that they are all in the end bit-perfect (=losless, regardless of the used compression rate). For reasons I won´t discuss here I wish to keep an uncompressed (!) .flac... this always works flawlessly using dbpoweramp apart from the one special described case. It´s not the end of the world, I just wanted to point that out. Thanks to the link you provided it became clear that I am not the first one to observe the described behavior.

Not much more to say in my eyes, actually...
                  Sorry, no lecture here. I was just responding to YOUR statement about uncompressed flac files and maximum tag compatibility, which I found confusing and I am still confused about. This is a forum where I was trying to help you and where you could hopefully help me to understand that statement.

FWIW, IMO, if you want maximum tag compatibility, I suggest you don't convert to wav.
                  Last edited by mville; 02-12-2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>