title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Flac uncompressed" not correctly working with HDCD conversions (24/44.1)

"Flac uncompressed" not correctly working with HDCD conversions (24/44.1)

Hi,

Iīve got the following problem: When decoding a file using the HDCD-plugin (regardless of +6dB or not) to "FLAC uncompressed" some sort of compression is still applied, resulting in a file that is about a third smaller than a "real" uncompressed one. When trying to convert this file again manually (to "FLAC uncompressed) nothing changes, same "compressed" file size.

I assume since 4 of the 24 bits are not actually used in the described case, the FLAC converter always compresses the resulting zeros? Every other sort of file is working fine BTW, 0% compression all the way. Iīve found nothing in the FLAC decoder settings to change, any clue or advice would be great and much appreciated

Thanks for your help,
    Oliver
    Last edited by -ol-; 02-10-2016 at 09:57 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Flac uncompressed" not correctly working with HDCD conversions (24/44.1)

See this recent thread, specifically post no. 6.

Thanks a lot mville, I didnīt see that one.

Strictly speaking I would consider that behavior a (admittedly minor) bug, isnīt it? Uncompressed should really be uncompressed under all (!) circumstances. And please: No debate on audible differences of Flac vs. Wav...

I now solved the problem by converting to .wav, the tags are correctly recognized in LMS.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey -ol-,

Quote Originally Posted by -ol- View Post
    And please: No debate on audible differences of Flac vs. Wav...
    promised, no debate about that. But give me an idea, why you insist on uncompressed flac?

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    promised, no debate about that. But give me an idea, why you insist on uncompressed flac? Dat Ei
    Hey Dat Ei... because I want to store uncompressed audio-files with maximum tag compatibility. To my knowledge at the moment that means "Flac uncompressed", doesnīt it?

dBpoweramp Guru

I want to store uncompressed audio-files with maximum tag compatibility. To my knowledge at the moment that means "Flac uncompressed", doesnīt it?
    Unless there is something about uncompressed flacs that I do not know, you get the same tag compatibility, regardless of the compression level used.

Perhaps you are getting confused between audio level compression and data compression?
    Last edited by mville; 02-10-2016 at 02:54 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Perhaps you are getting confused between audio level compression and data compression?
    That's my suspicion too. That's why I've asked.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Unless there is something about uncompressed flacs that I do not know, you get the same tag compatibility, regardless of the compression level used.

Actually I donīt know why you are trying to give me an unasked-for lecture?

I am well aware of the fact that all kinds of .flac (uncompressed or compressed 0-8) are taggable in the same way and also that they are all in the end bit-perfect (=losless, regardless of the used compression rate). For reasons I wonīt discuss here I wish to keep an uncompressed (!) .flac... this always works flawlessly using dbpoweramp apart from the one special described case. Itīs not the end of the world, I just wanted to point that out. Thanks to the link you provided it became clear that I am not the first one to observe the described behavior.

Not much more to say in my eyes, actually...
    Last edited by -ol-; 02-12-2016 at 03:25 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Actually I donīt know why you are trying to give me an unasked-for lecture?

I am well aware of the fact that all kinds of .flac (uncompressed or compressed 0-8) are taggable in the same way and also that they are all in the end bit-perfect (=losless, regardless of the used compression rate). For reasons I wonīt discuss here I wish to keep an uncompressed (!) .flac... this always works flawlessly using dbpoweramp apart from the one special described case. Itīs not the end of the world, I just wanted to point that out. Thanks to the link you provided it became clear that I am not the first one to observe the described behavior.

Not much more to say in my eyes, actually...
    Sorry, no lecture here. I was just responding to YOUR statement about uncompressed flac files and maximum tag compatibility, which I found confusing and I am still confused about. This is a forum where I was trying to help you and where you could hopefully help me to understand that statement.

FWIW, IMO, if you want maximum tag compatibility, I suggest you don't convert to wav.
    Last edited by mville; 02-12-2016 at 05:37 AM.