title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Filter files to batch convert using date fields?

Filter files to batch convert using date fields?

I store my CD collection in FLAC files, then batch convert them to MP3 files for various portable players, etc.

Every time I add some new CDs, I run Batch Converter and manually find and select the new folders. Is there anyway I can tell it to only pick out the new folders/files based on modified or created date fields?

Thanks,

Marc

Administrator

Re: Filter files to batch convert using date fields?

You can select all the files with one click, then when dBpoweramp asks to overwrite the existing, select 'No to All' and only new files are converted.

I tried this method once, but found out that if the file name convention had changed at any point along the years (which it had) then the target directories ended up with multiple copies of the same song with different names. I used PerfectTunes to help clean up, but since it worked on a file basis and not an album basis, it was about as fast to do it by hand.

Administrator

In this instance, you are best removing all the mp3 files, then reconverting fresh once.

I do that periodically, but I add music often and don't want to spend 14+ hours converting the whole library when only a minute or two is needed.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey manowell,

Quote Originally Posted by manowell View Post
    I do that periodically, but I add music often and don't want to spend 14+ hours converting the whole library when only a minute or two is needed.
    in my opinion the missing possibility to filter the batch process using date fields or to have a real sync mechanism (i.e. only convert if source is newer than destination), is one of the biggest issues of dBpa. Those possibilities could cover the performance problems, which batch convert has with big file collections.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    in my opinion the missing possibility to filter the batch process using date fields or to have a real sync mechanism (i.e. only convert if source is newer than destination), is one of the biggest issues of dBpa. Those possibilities could cover the performance problems, which batch convert has with big file collections.
    The problem with relying purely on modification date is that not all softwares update the modification date when editing files.

It would require a much more sophisticated approach, like that which is implemented in professional backup software.

But, I agree and a move in this direction is a good idea.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey mville,

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    The problem with relying purely on modification date is that not all softwares update the modification date when editing files.
    I agree with you. But within the dBpa tool world, it should be possible, that all tools update the modification date when editing files.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    But, I agree and a move in this direction is a good idea.
    We have discussed those problems already, i.e. the disproportionate time consumption before the conversion starts.

Dat Ei