title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Too many instances?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buntobox
    • Oct 2013

Too many instances?

I've got a strange issue. My PC (WinXP SP3) is running FOUR instances of Asset, two attributed to my user account and two to the system account, as noted in the task manager. On my iPad, two Asset icons show up when I open the Naim app that's controlling my ND5 XS streamer. Occasionally the music just stops playing without warning, but if I go to the ND5 and press play, it restarts from the top of the track that was playing when it gave up. The Asset icons on the iPad also take about 25 seconds to appear after opening the Naim app even though another uPnP server which I don't use (Genie, bundled with my wireless router and which cannot be switched off) comes up immediately. It's not therefore a WiFi issue. The iPad also has the annoying habit of apparently losing contact with Asset during the playing of an album such that when I go to choose the next album to play the Asset icon is missing from the Naim app and can take up to 30 seconds or so to reappear during which time no selections can be made. This sometimes causes the music to stop playing, sometimes it doesn't. I set Asset to run on the local account as recommended but it sometimes switches with no input from me to the service account, at which point the music stops playing. I would like to hear from anyone that has this multiple instances/disappearing issue to find out how to deal with it. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Asset after a system reboot and it came up in exactly the same way, running four instances. It's driving me potty as it's becoming almost impossible to listen to a whole album without interruption.
    Last edited by Buntobox; 01-31-2016, 01:40 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Too many instances?

System account = run as service
    User account = local account.

Try changing the option where it is set to start up as the different one.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Buntobox
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
      System account = run as service
      User account = local account.

Try changing the option where it is set to start up as the different one.
      Thanks Spoon but I've tried that already. I doesn't seem to matter which account is in use, the problem of the music stopping still arises. I have discovered since posting this question that stopping three out of the four instances of Asset in the task manager seems to solve part of the problem of the music stopping when the account being used changes spontaneously, however, Asset still disappears from the iPad during the playing of albums and takes around 30 seconds to reappear and be usable.
      Also, why is the PC running four instances of Asset in the first place when there's only one user account on the machine?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I would recommend to uninstall Asset, reboot windows, then reinstall.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Buntobox
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
          I would recommend to uninstall Asset, reboot windows, then reinstall.
          Hi Spoon
          Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been in Switzerland for the last week. I have reinstalled as you suggested and it made no difference. I have also noticed that if I close all the instances of Asset except one, the other three will restart by themselves inside the next few minutes. I noticed on my Naim streamer that after playing an couple of tracks, a second instance of asset had appeared on its front panel. When I went to the PC to investigate, there were again two instances of Asset.exe running under my own account and another two under the system account. On the Asset control panel it switches to using the service account when this happens even though I pick the local account after I have stopped the three extra instances in the task manager.

Comment

• alk630
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jun 2014

This problem has now been reported on a few occasions by different users. When I experienced the same problem, it was almost impossible to determine what was causing the problem and how it could be replicated. Spoon's recommendation of a complete un-installation, followed by a reboot and re-installation did the trick, but there's obviously something going awry in the first place.

Comment

• Buntobox
              • Oct 2013

I've just uninstalled version 4.3 and installed 5.1 and the problem now seems to be worse. There are still four instances of Asset showing up in the task manager (two local account and two system account), despite the fact that in the version changes list the following is found for version 5; "Was possible to have multiple assets running after install". Er, IT STILL IS! There are also now two instances of Umedialibrary.exe showing up and to top it all the music just stops playing without warning several times in the course of one album. The cause of this is the assetuPnP service spontaneously turns itself off even though it's set to automatic (which it always has been).

I'm beginning to think it's time to bin Asset and look for another server. This is pants and I'm sick of it.

Comment

• Buntobox
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Buntobox
                I've just uninstalled version 4.3 and installed 5.1 and the problem now seems to be worse. There are still four instances of Asset showing up in the task manager (two local account and two system account), despite the fact that in the version changes list the following is found for version 5; "Was possible to have multiple assets running after install". Er, IT STILL IS! There are also now two instances of Umedialibrary.exe showing up and to top it all the music just stops playing without warning several times in the course of one album. The cause of this is the assetuPnP service spontaneously turns itself off even though it's set to automatic (which it always has been).

I'm beginning to think it's time to bin Asset and look for another server. This is pants and I'm sick of it.
                Get this. I've pulled out V5.1 and reinstalled V4.1. No multiple instances of Asset or UMediaLibraryand even though the AssetuPnP service is stopped, the music plays without incident (so far). We shall see. As is is, Asset V5.1 is in the bin.

Comment

• alk630
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jun 2014

Get this. I've pulled out V5.1 and reinstalled V4.1. No multiple instances of Asset or UMediaLibraryand even though the AssetuPnP service is stopped, the music plays without incident (so far). We shall see. As is is, Asset V5.1 is in the bin.
                  I understand your frustration Buntobox, this happened to me some time back. Once fixed, I could not replicate the problem and just put it down to a negative experience. I have since been running version 5.1 for six months without further incident and working flawlessly.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

I agree with alk630 and I got the exact same problem, which occurred when upgrading from Asset R4.3 to Asset R5.0. Sadly, Illustrate are not addressing this issue, but since I got it fixed, it has not re-occurred.

If you choose to install Asset R5.1 again and the problem still occurs, try launching Asset UPnP Configuration and set Asset Running Mode to Disabled and click OK. Then, run the task manager and end all instances of Asset-uPNP.exe and uMediaLibrary.exe tasks, if any exist.

Next, launch Asset UPnP Configuration again, setting Asset Running Mode to Local Account.

Finally, reboot you PC and check the Asset Running Mode in Asset UPnP Configuration and check the number of Asset-uPNP.exe tasks (should be 2) and uMediaLibrary.exe tasks (should be 1) are running.

Comment

• Buntobox
                      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by mville
                      I agree with alk630 and I got the exact same problem, which occurred when upgrading from Asset R4.3 to Asset R5.0. Sadly, Illustrate are not addressing this issue, but since I got it fixed, it has not re-occurred.

If you choose to install Asset R5.1 again and the problem still occurs, try launching Asset UPnP Configuration and set Asset Running Mode to Disabled and click OK. Then, run the task manager and end all instances of Asset-uPNP.exe and uMediaLibrary.exe tasks, if any exist.

Next, launch Asset UPnP Configuration again, setting Asset Running Mode to Local Account.

Finally, reboot you PC and check the Asset Running Mode in Asset UPnP Configuration and check the number of Asset-uPNP.exe tasks (should be 2) and uMediaLibrary.exe tasks (should be 1) are running.
                      I tried this out of desperation as I was being driven mad. It worked! The system has now been up and running now for six hours and hasn't put a foot wrong in that time so thanks for the help mville. If it was going to fail I think it would have done by now as it was dropping out every few minutes. Thanks again!

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

I tried this out of desperation as I was being driven mad. It worked! The system has now been up and running now for six hours and hasn't put a foot wrong in that time so thanks for the help mville. If it was going to fail I think it would have done by now as it was dropping out every few minutes. Thanks again!
                        Don't sound so surprised!!

Glad it is now working for you.

Comment

Working...

]]>