title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asset rendered completely useless

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Asset rendered completely useless

I don't get it. A quick search shows this to be a huge problem and for 2 months now I have not been able to use Asset because it will no longer see my NAS drive.

Windows 10 and 7 both were unable to see my NAS drive. I cannot map a network drive without using the software that came with my Synology DS213... but even though it can map it (only one of the drives at a time and I want to map 2), Asset still cannot see that particular drive.

I've tried several fixes, none worked. I'M TICKED RIGHT OFF!! PLEASE HELP!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Asset rendered completely useless

If you are having an issue with Windows not able to access your Synology DS213 NAS drive, have you tried contacting Microsoft and/or Synology tech support?

Once Windows has access to a network drive, then Asset is able to access it.

Administrator

If windows cannot access the NAS with normal file shares, then Asset cannot access either, log into the nas and enable network sharing.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If windows cannot access the NAS with normal file shares, then Asset cannot access either, log into the nas and enable network sharing.
    If it were only that simple. Yes, I had done that. I have tried contacting MS but got only basic responses.."Just enable ..blah, blah, blah" which of course are already enabled.

Synology says it's a MS issue, MS says it's a NAS issue, Asset says it's another issue. Again, I see it heavily complained about in forums every direction, so I know it's not uncommon. It just stopped one day after some updates, but of course I didn't notice it right away and more updates because every software seems to update regularly so there is no "just restore back to when it worked correctly".

Apart from "How do I fix it?"... I want to know Why do I have to fix it? I went as far as to update to Win 10 with mostly new hardware = equals a basically new computer.... with still the same issue. It's bad enough when free software does not work but even more frustrating that I cannot utilize software that I paid for.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balderick View Post
    Synology says it's a MS issue, MS says it's a NAS issue, Asset says it's another issue.
    Sadly, software companies blaming other software companies is not uncommon and I understand your frustration.

However, if Windows is not able to access your Synology DS213 NAS drive, how is this an issue with Asset UPnP? Asset is a UPnP/DLNA compatible audio server software not an operating system.

Complaining here in these forums is a bit like buying a car from Mercedes and complaining to Renault, when it breaks down.

... furthermore, if I had purchased a Network-attached storage device that was not accessible on the network, I would be wanting the manufacturer to provide either a fix/resolution or a refund, as it is the NAS device that is rendered useless.
    Last edited by mville; 10-18-2015 at 01:02 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Actually, Complaining here in the end-user area often gets results with replies from folks who have had the same issue and found a reasonable fix. Conversely, I never actually blamed Asset, I simply stated that it's no longer working and rendered useless. Software developers rarely seem to address the issues and therefore we must rely on each other for answers, fixes and work-arounds.

I have similar posts into Microsoft, Synology, CyberTechHelp, Kaspersky and Computer Audiophile. (Every one of which has similar posts from others having the same or similar issue). All I want is for this to work, which it did at one time. Some update somewhere shafted the process.

I don't think I'm asking too much.

dBpoweramp Guru

Actually, Complaining here in the end-user area often gets results with replies from folks who have had the same issue and found a reasonable fix. Conversely, I never actually blamed Asset, I simply stated that it's no longer working and rendered useless. Software developers rarely seem to address the issues and therefore we must rely on each other for answers, fixes and work-arounds.

I have similar posts into Microsoft, Synology, CyberTechHelp, Kaspersky and Computer Audiophile. (Every one of which has similar posts from others having the same or similar issue). All I want is for this to work, which it did at one time. Some update somewhere shafted the process.

I don't think I'm asking too much.
    Sorry, I have misinterpreted what you said in your post no. 1. I was definitely trying to help you, but I guess I was not clear what you were asking.

I do agree that by posting here, you may get a reply with a solution to your network issue.
    Last edited by mville; 10-18-2015 at 10:17 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Here is a screenshot of what I find perplexing. On one hand, Explorer shows the mapped folder "X" (in [COLOR="*FF0000"]RED[/COLOR]) that I want as a library, but Asset does not see it when I request that folder to be used. The NAS does show up as a media device (in [COLOR="*FF8C00"]ORANGE[/COLOR]) for some reason, but Asset cannot see that either. Sometimes I can get Asset to see the folder "X" I want but when I hit OKAY.... it's not there! Aaaaaarrrrgh.
    Asset Folders.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Here is a screenshot of what I find perplexing. On one hand, Explorer shows the mapped folder "X" (in [COLOR="*FF0000"]RED[/COLOR]) that I want as a library, but Asset does not see it when I request that folder to be used. The NAS does show up as a media device (in [COLOR="*FF8C00"]ORANGE[/COLOR]) for some reason, but Asset cannot see that either. Sometimes I can get Asset to see the folder "X" I want but when I hit OKAY.... it's not there! Aaaaaarrrrgh.
    Asset Folders.jpg
    Can you access files on the X Drive in the Windows File Explorer i.e. open the X Drive, navigate to files and open them?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Can you access files on the X Drive in the Windows File Explorer i.e. open the X Drive, navigate to files and open them?
    Yes. This is why I feel Asset has something to do with the issue.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes. This is why I feel Asset has something to do with the issue.
    If you can access files on a mapped drive in windows file explorer, then I'd expect Asset to also have access, so it may well be a problem with Asset. Spoon will have to comment on this.

Which version of Asset is installed?

... further testing: I am using Asset 5.2beta and have just mapped a drive on my network. Asset sees and connects to the mapped drive no problem at all, so you may have a problem with your setup. I am just not sure what the problem might be though.
    Last edited by mville; 10-31-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: additional testing and info

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Which version of Asset is installed?
    5.1 for Windows

Administrator

The issue is, Asset Configuration runs as elevated (which is needed to install services, etc), however this elevated account does not have the mapped network drives.

I can think of no easy work around currently except to rewrite the configuration program to only elevate when needed at the end.

Run Asset Configuration, then select the option 'Configuration Folder: Open in Windows explorer', then open the file 'MediaFoldersWatch', manually add the drive into it, then rescan. Note Asset needs to be running from the local account, not service to access that mapped drive.

I have had a very similar set of problems which incidentally led me to ditch iTunes, a decision I should have taken years ago; I am now about half-way through rebuilding my library using Media Monkey. Anyway, re mapped drives and Windows 10 (which has made the simplest network setup almost unfathomably difficult to use) you have to put in the IP address followed by the name of the share. Then Asset can find your data (and Windows' own File Explorer can too, although if you're like me, one Windows 10 PC will show your Diskstation as a networked device while another one in the same room cannot see it at all).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BenFE View Post
    ....you have to put in the IP address followed by the name of the share.
    I tried something like that without success. Maybe if you don't mind posting an example of the EXACT syntax you used?

Thanks.