title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asset performance with custom tags

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Asset performance with custom tags

Hi, I can think of loads of custom FLAC tags I want to index in Asset and need some advice.

Does adding and indexing many custom tags (with single values only) affect the performance of Asset? Is 5 or 10 or 25 custom tags too much in a collection of 5000 albums and running Asset on a 8 year old core2duo?

2. Same as above but with multiple values in the custom tags. Is this when performance really begins to decrease?

If I don't index the custom tags (i.e. they are present in the FLAC metadata but not used), how much are they still affecting the performance of Asset? Does Asset read the tags even if they aren't indexed?

Administrator

Re: Asset performance with custom tags

On this system it will be fine adding the fields you require (for single or multiple).

Tags which are not in the database have zero hit on performance.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for the super fast reply! Just so I'll get the grip on the performance, I want to ask this also:

Let's say that I will get 10,000 albums and indexing 50 custom tags which all have 4 multiple values and using the same computer. Still not a problem?

If I exchange the old computer with a brand new NAS drive, how do you think that the NAS would handle the scenarios in questions 1, 2 and 4 respectively?

Administrator

4. No
    5. No, NAS normally have ARM CPU which are not a patch on Intel CPUs on a desktop (think of phone cpu vs desktop cpu)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

5. I'm confused. Do you actually say that I can install Asset on a NAS drive (=no desktop/laptop involved), put 10,000 albums on it and index 50 custom tags which all have 4 multiple values and not experience any lag or slow menu browsing?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    5. I'm confused. Do you actually say that I can install Asset on a NAS drive (=no desktop/laptop involved), put 10,000 albums on it and index 50 custom tags which all have 4 multiple values and not experience any lag or slow menu browsing?
    I think Spoon is saying the opposite (the NAS will be slow because it has less powerful CPU). Then again, there are NAS units that have multicore fast chips with lots of RAM, so a NAS is not *necessarily* slow.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You're probably right. It's that Spoon answers "No, ..." that puzzles me. "Not as good" I would have understood.

So, still a little confused actually...

Plus I really do want to know if I can assume that a NAS can handle scenario 1 OK, scenario 2 with a struggle but probably have severe problems with scenario 4? The answer to this may affect my tagging, since I might want to go the NAS route in the near future.
    Last edited by evasv; 01-15-2016 at 12:55 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    I really do want to know if I can assume that a NAS can handle scenario 1 OK, scenario 2 with a struggle but probably have severe problems with scenario 4? The answer to this may affect my tagging, since I might want to go the NAS route in the near future.
    I understand Spoon's comment to mean you would need a NAS with desktop specification/resources (CPU/RAM), to give you the performance you desire.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes, he probably meant that. But in all scenarios I described? I'm not entirely sure.

I can see now that my question *5 is easy to misinterpret if you miss the word "how". I wanted to know the performance differences between the scenarios 1, 2 & 4. But if a "normal" NAS won't suffice in any of these cases then the answer has been given by Spoon.

It's just that I find it odd if a NAS couldn't handle 5 single-valued custom tags as described in scenario 1.

Spoon, I really need a clarification if a "normal" NAS is useless as soon as you add custom tags?

Administrator

Ok I miss read, I read as 10K albums with custom tags, and an arm cpu would not cut it, 1K albums with custom tags is probably ok.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well 5,000 albums with 5 custom tags was my "lightest" example above... But I conclude from your numbers that this is too much also.

To double the albums
    To double the custom tags
    Go from single to double tag value

Which of these has the biggest and 2nd biggest impact on performance?

Administrator

Impact is probably the same for all 3

Hello everyone, I do not know if I'm on the right about being new to this forum. I use Asset Upnp from a Qnap Nas Hs 251+. My question: can someone there what is the right setting for the server correctly my class opera albums. example: Wagner-Parsifal - 4 CD Karajan. Asset Class Disc 1 Disc 2 etc. I like to have my opera in one allbum and not as 4 CD 8 Parsifal, Ring 6, 10 Tosca, etc ... the navigation is very complicated. thank you in advance for your answers and a big hello from France.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by philou34 View Post
    Hello everyone, I do not know if I'm on the right about being new to this forum. I use Asset Upnp from a Qnap Nas Hs 251+. My question: can someone there what is the right setting for the server correctly my class opera albums. example: Wagner-Parsifal - 4 CD Karajan. Asset Class Disc 1 Disc 2 etc. I like to have my opera in one allbum and not as 4 CD 8 Parsifal, Ring 6, 10 Tosca, etc ... the navigation is very complicated. thank you in advance for your answers and a big hello from France.
    I think it will be better to start a new thread with your question (and use an informative subject line). You've asked on a thread that has nothing to do with your question. You'll get more answers with a new thread.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

One last tag/performance question:

Do all of the albums need to be indexed by Asset when you add a custom tag for just a few albums (= the "unknown" ones take up index space too)?

In other words - if I index a custom tag in Asset and add it to 25% of my albums, will it have the same impact on performance as if I tag all 100% with that same tag?