title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ReplayGain did not add Track value to FLAC files

Question ReplayGain did not add Track value to FLAC files

I just used dba CD Ripper to rip ~200 CDs to FLAC & MP3 files (using Multi Encoder) following Spoon's Setup Guide. ReplayGain was configured with the Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization option per the Guide.

After ripping, when I look at the ID-Tag tab for the FLAC file properties (or look at the tags using the PerfectTUNES ID Tags app), I see there are only values for Replaygain_Album_Gain and Replaygain_Album_Peak but not Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak. I'm new to dba and ReplayGain, so I could be missing something simple. However, I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed with the Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization option selected it would have added values for Replay_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak.

I ask because I used the -V 4 option for the MP3 files during the original rip from disc, and I'm recreating the MP3 files using -V 2 (maybe -V 0) from the FLAC files. I was hoping to just use the ReplayGain values in the FLAC files from the original rip, which was when I found the FLAC files contained just the Album values instead of the Album and Track values.

Hope all that makes sense. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain did not add Track value to FLAC files

Was an iTunesNORM tag written also?

You have the Windows or OS X version of dBpoweramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Was an iTunesNORM tag written also?
    Yes. The FLAC files have an iTunNORM value.

You have the Windows or OS X version of dBpoweramp?
    Windows, Release 15.3.

Administrator

Try ripping 1 CD to just flac as the encoder, with replaygain set as you have.

Then try with multi encoder, each time checking for track gain tags.

Try ripping 1 CD to just flac as the encoder, with replaygain set as you have.

Then try with multi encoder, each time checking for track gain tags.
    Ripping one CD using FLAC as the encoder and ReplayGain DSP configured with the Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization option: there were only values for Replaygain_Album_Gain and Replaygain_Album_Peak, no values for Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak, for each FLAC file.

Ripping the same CD using Multi Encoder with FLAC & MP3(lame) and ReplayGain DSP configured with the Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization option, there were only values for Replaygain_Album_Gain and Replaygain_Album_Peak, no values for Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak, for each FLAC and MP3 file.

It appears ReplayGain track values are not being added to encoded files when ripping directly from CD.

dBpoweramp Guru

Are you using the windows version of dbpa? What version of Windows? (7, 8, 10?).
    Something is odd, as all my FLAC rips have track & album gain RG tags written in my rips (and most users are adding RG tags, so obviously this is not a general problem otherwise there would be 100s of posts on this). What program are you using to look at the tags after the fact? Can you open the FLAC file in another program (mp3tag for example) and see if it reports the track RG tag?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Are you using the windows version of dbpa? What version of Windows? (7, 8, 10?).
    Windows (see above). Version 7, SP1.

What program are you using to look at the tags after the fact?
    The ID-Tag tab in the file properties window in Windows Explorer and the PerfectTUNES ID Tags app (see first post).

Can you open the FLAC file in another program (mp3tag for example) and see if it reports the track RG tag?
    Mp3tag shows the same: values for Replaygain_Album_Gain and Replaygain_Album_Peak, but nothing for Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak.

Just to be clear, both FLAC and MP3 files have Replaygain_Album_Gain and Replaygain_Album_Peak tags with values, however neither have Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak tags (or values).

Administrator

As a test, set it to write just Track Gain (no album, no iTunes), what is written in this test?

Windows (see above). Version 7, SP1.

What program are you using to look at the tags after the fact?
    The ID-Tag tab in the file properties window in Windows Explorer and the PerfectTUNES ID Tags app (see first post).

Can you open the FLAC file in another program (mp3tag for example) and see if it reports the track RG tag?
    Mp3tag shows the same: values for Replaygain_Album_Gain and Replaygain_Album_Peak, but nothing for Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak.

Just to be clear, both FLAC and MP3 files have Replaygain_Album_Gain and Replaygain_Album_Peak tags with values, however neither have Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak tags (or values).

Where are you applying the ReplayGain DSP?

When using Multi Encoder and applying the DSP in the individual encoders, my rips have all four tags (album gain, album peak, track gain, track peak).

When using Multi Encoder and applying the DSP in the main/global area (where it should apply to all encoders), my rips have just two tags - album gain & album peak.

I'm ripping to FLAC & ALAC. Windows 10 64-bit, dbpa R15.3 64-bit.

As a test, set it to write just Track Gain (no album, no iTunes), what is written in this test?
    Ripping one CD using FLAC as the encoder and ReplayGain DSP configured with the Track Gain option: there were no Replaygain tags (or values) for each FLAC file.

Ripping the same CD using Multi Encoder with FLAC & MP3(lame) and ReplayGain DSP configured with the Track Gain option: there were no Replaygain tags (or values) for each FLAC and MP3 file.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
    Where are you applying the ReplayGain DSP?
    I configured it as described in Spoon's Setup Guide ( i.e., on the DSP tab in the main dBpoweramp window).

Okay, I did some additional testing.

When I selected either FLAC or mp3 (Lame) in the "Rip to" drop down list (in the lower left) and configured ReplayGain DSP with the Track Gain option, Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak tags and values were written to each file. (Progress!)

However, when I selected [Multi Encoder] in the "Rip to" drop down list, configured ReplayGain DSP with the Track Gain option, and added (1) FLAC or (2) mp3 (Lame) or (3) both FLAC or mp3 (Lame) in the "Encoder" tab, Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak tags (and values) were not written to each file. (My previous test writing just Track Gain to the FLAC files was configured this way.)

So, when ReplayGain DSP is configured with a track gain option, Replaygain_Track_Gain and Replaygain_Track_Peak tags (and values) are only added when a single encoder is selected from the "Rip To" drop down menu and never when [Multi Encoder] is selected.

Administrator

You are adding the ReplayGain effect to the DSP settings within the encoder settings page on Multi-Encoder? not on CD Rippers DSP Effect settings section.

You are adding the ReplayGain effect to the DSP settings within the encoder settings page on Multi-Encoder? not on CD Rippers DSP Effect settings section.
    The ReplayGain effect was added in the "DSP" tab at the bottom of the main dBpoweramp window (DSP1.png), not in the "DSP Effects / Actions:" field in the configuration window(s) of the encoder(s) (DSP2.png).