title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: with SCSI Pass Through Read(D8) no AccurateRIP Data where found

with SCSI Pass Through Read(D8) no AccurateRIP Data where found

Hi,

I'm trying to use an older BlueRay Reader with Windows 10 for ripping my CDs. If I set the communication to "scsi pass through (SPT)" the drive is detected by AccurateRip with a keydisk, but every RIP fails. If I'm switching the communication to "SCSI Pass Through read(D8)" the (ultra)ripping works fine, but CDs and the drive wasn't detected by AccurateRip.

My setup:
    - Windows 10 Pro (fresh install)
    - UAC disabled by control panel and registry hack (enableLUA=0)
    - dbpoweramp 15.3
    - drive HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L (SATA)
    - firmware of the drive is the last version (1.3)

Is there a solution - maybe downgrade to Win7?

/Ralf

Administrator

Re: with SCSI Pass Through Read(D8) no AccurateRIP Data where found

The drive name changes? when choose a different method?

Hi Spoon,

thank you for your quick reply.

With SPT there are only errors and no track could be ripped. With SPT(D8) there are no ripping errors, but the drive is unknown at AccurateRip. Are the reasons for SPT failures caused in Win10?

/Ralf

Hi Spoon,

the drive name wasn't changed. It's allways: "HL-DT-ST - BDDVDRW GGC-H20L". I tried the following settings:

- communication to SPT and clear AccurateRIP detection: the drive is detected by AccurateRip, but ripping of two KeyDisks slows down and finally fails for each track.
    - switching communication to SPT(D8) and clear AccurateRIP detection, reboot the computer: the drive wasn't detected by AccurateRip, but the UltraSecure Ripping (2 passes) works fine and fast.
    - switching communication to SPT and clear AccurateRIP detection, reboot the computer: the drive is detected by AccurateRip, then switching communication to SPT(D8) without clearing AccurateRIP and reopen dbPoweramp, ripping works, but there are no AccurateRIP informations.

Final I do a test with an external USB Plextor drive: It works fine and fast with SPT and AccurateRIP.

What are the differences in communication between SPT and SPT(D8)? Do you have an idea? Is there a config file to copy the SPT information to SPT(D8) manual?

Kind regards,

Ralf

Administrator

SPT and SPT 8 are just the SCSI calls to the drive, the program should see the drive as exactly the same, no different configuration files, as the drive name is the same.

Some feedback for future troubleshooting. I was having a very similar problem as this post with my drive being a Nimbie N21 (USB 3.0):

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf_s View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to use an older BlueRay Reader with Windows 10 for ripping my CDs. If I set the communication to "scsi pass through (SPT)" the drive is detected by AccurateRip with a keydisk, but every RIP fails. If I'm switching the communication to "SCSI Pass Through read(D8)" the (ultra)ripping works fine, but CDs and the drive wasn't detected by AccurateRip.

My setup:
    - Windows 10 Pro (fresh install)
    - UAC disabled by control panel and registry hack (enableLUA=0)
    - dbpoweramp 15.3
    - drive HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L (SATA)
    - firmware of the drive is the last version (1.3)

Is there a solution - maybe downgrade to Win7?

/Ralf
    The problem was irregular, random CD failures that never got worse or better, regardless which CD I was using. I had tried everything I could that made sense, including changing drive speed, manual loading, and a ton of other settings. The PC internal DVD drive worked great and set up fine. I found that I could wrap an EMI core around the Nimbie power supply cord and it would get much better, but still not great. Certainly not good enough to let loose with the Nimbie to start batch coping my 2400+ cd collection. The odd part was finding that I could manually get a good rip of an entire CD without problems if I chose SPT (D8), but that would not work right with the Nimbie operating in batch mode (why?).

To make this short, what I found was moving the USB cable to a regular USB 2.0 port stopped all of the problems, and not really much change in speed. The USB 3.0 ports on this computer are on a Renasas controller IC, and I'm not sure if this is purely hardware, USB 3.0 driver related, Nimbie driver related, or a mix. But the Nimbie is working at 100% now.

This all working now, so off to mass rip I go. If you get another user with similar problems on a USB 3.0 port, have them to try moving the autoloader to a USB 2.0 port.

- Charles
    Last edited by chasnc; 04-13-2018 at 05:19 PM.