title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

New user here, question about secure ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russellc
    • Dec 2015

New user here, question about secure ripping

I just ripped a CD and all went fine until the final track, it showed errors and saye "re rip" and shows a number of frames 3000+. I noticed that slowly, this number is reducing. Is this the program correcting these frames? If so it looks like it will take a little while.

I ripped a Jimi Hendricks CD that did the same thing, but I just skipped it, then reburned it as a "burst" and it added and plays, sound quality on the recording is a little questionable anyway it is what it is type of thing.

Should I just wait this out, or what is the protocal here? Yup, I'm a beginner at this digital stuff!

Russellc
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: New user here, question about secure ripping

Originally posted by Russellc
    I just ripped a CD and all went fine until the final track, it showed errors and saye "re rip" and shows a number of frames 3000+. I noticed that slowly, this number is reducing. Is this the program correcting these frames? If so it looks like it will take a little while.

I ripped a Jimi Hendricks CD that did the same thing, but I just skipped it, then reburned it as a "burst" and it added and plays, sound quality on the recording is a little questionable anyway it is what it is type of thing.

Should I just wait this out, or what is the protocal here? Yup, I'm a beginner at this digital stuff!

Russellc
    yes, it is just retrying those 3000 frames, and unless it times out (based on maximum track ripping time you may have set in options) it will try. So you can let it try (happens to me and often I get a secure (warning) with a green "i" by letting it finish. The (warning) just lets you know that it eventually got a secure rip but it had to rerip frames. Sometimes if it is a lot of frames, I will cancel the rip and clean the disk with the same wipe cloth I use for my eye glasses. That sometimes solves things. Other times, I try and rip with a different drive. That often solves things too. But short answer, yes, this is normal for secure ripping.

Comment

• Russellc
      • Dec 2015

Thanks, I think I will let it run its course and see what happens. If it times out, I will try wiping it down with the eyeglass cloth. Failing that, I will just leave it out or do a burst rip for that track.

Thanks,

Russellc

Comment

• Russellc
        • Dec 2015

It was taking forever and doing the math would have been hours. I skipped track, and even though CD looks perfect, I cleaned it carefully and reripped the track. Frames down by 2/3s! I will let it run now....

Russellc

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

The "look" of a CD is only part of the story. I've had many brand new CDs, fresh from unwrapping, no marks on them, and first time in a drive was for me to rip, and still have errors or ripping problems. There can be manufacturing issues, or many times I simply find that some drives read CDs better than other drives. Keep in mind that actual CD Players (vs drives in a computer) were designed to interpolate small errors without the listener noticing. But of course these small errors would trigger reripping/warning/error on a ripping session with a secure ripper like dbpa.

Comment

• Russellc
            • Dec 2015

Perhaps I should buy a separate drive I could attach to my laptop by USB, or replace the drive in it, or both.

Are there any recommended drives?

Russellc

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Perhaps I should buy a separate drive I could attach to my laptop by USB, or replace the drive in it, or both.

Are there any recommended drives?

Russellc
              I'd go with a second drive you can attach via USB to lapop. I have no specific suggestions. All mine are random cheap drives.

Comment

• Russellc
                • Dec 2015

do they come as external, or stand alone, or are they mounted in a box like an external hardrive that has been removed from computer and placed in one?

Russellc

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

do they come as external, or stand alone, or are they mounted in a box like an external hardrive that has been removed from computer and placed in one?

Russellc
                  all the above is available. just search on amazon. Something like this will allow you to insert full size drive into a USB box.

Last edited by garym; 12-20-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Oggy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Russellc
                    As Gary said, all of the above are available and I guess how your set up is and how many discs you rip in one session may help decide your preference.

It is certainly worth using a 2nd, or 3rd external drives for several reasons. I use my sons laptop for ripping, and apart from the fact that the internal drive isn't the quickest, I didn't want to"kill" his drive by ripping 1000 + CDs. If you are ripping 30 CDs plus in one go, you will certainly quickly appreciate a drive that does it in half the time.

If I've got 1 or 2 discs to rip I use the internal drive. If it's more than 5, I'll use a slimline USB drive as it's noticeably faster and still quiet.

If I'm ripping large numbers in one go, or ripping a copy protected disc, I use an old Lite-On 5.25" drive (ide / pata not the newer sata) via a powered ide to USB adapter. This is a bit noisier, but flies through the discs in half the time and handles all the copy protected discs I've thrown at it. If I could have a computer or laptop set up all the time and wasn't concerned about noise, I would use this method all the time, and search for another one of these drives as a spare.

Everyone who has ripped 100s of discs will have their own favourite drive, but as you have found the most important objective, is to achieve Secure or AccurateRip.

Happy ripping and Christmas!

Oggy
                    Last edited by Oggy; 12-24-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• mrcd
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Feb 2012

Where I've almost never gone wrong with a re-rip is to rip that problem track all by it's lonesome. 90%+ of the time I get a secure even if 10 other's got an insecure. Of course I've got a good LG drive that has served me well.

Comment

Working...

]]>