title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Popup Info error: "provides audio information for dbpoweramp"

Exclamation Popup Info error: "provides audio information for dbpoweramp"

This started up a few days ago. Unfortunately I don't know why but it's been a little frustrating as it's a quick-access feature I use often.

I started receiving error popups when starting Windows with the heading:

"provides audio information for dbpoweramp"

The error popup would appear 2 or 4 times. I then realised that the dBpoweramp popup info (when you hover mouse over audio files) was replaced with an error stating:

"Error: decoder appears to have frozen, corrupt audio file?"

and the 'Audio Properties' tab in the file properties (right-click on audio file > Properties) is now empty. The only field which is populated is the 'Original Size' field stating '0 bytes' regardless of which file I try it on. I know these errors are related to the 'Windows Explorer Integration' settings in dBpoweramp Configuration, but rather than simply turn the 'Enable Popup Info Tips' setting off, I want to know if this is going to be fixed properly at all? In my line of work viewing the audio file attributes is very useful and used every day.

Here's a screen shot showing the error:

dBpoweramp error.jpg

Any help regarding the dBpoweramp popup info issue would be awesome though, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mdr; 12-19-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Administrator

Re: Popup Info error: "provides audio information for dbpoweramp"

The popup info tip does not work for all file types? such as mp3, wave, flac?

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling?

Which security software do you have?

It gives error instead of file info for WAV, FLAC and MP3. I don't use other audio file types.

Uninstalling all dBpoweramp products, restarting computer, downloading and reinstalling new copy of dBpoweramp 15.3 Ref did not fix it. I still get same error "Error: Decoder appears to have frozen, corrupt audio file?"

Security: Windows Firewall Control (it's just an interface for Windows Firewall),
    Hitman Pro Alert (enabled).

Disabling autostart of Windows Firewall Control & Hitman Pro Alert during startup, error still appears on infotip and no info in 'Audio Properties' window.

I just uninstalled dB again, searched the registry and deleted every entry containing 'dbpoweramp' and 'spooninstall'. Rebooted computer. Installed clean copy of 15.3 Ref and immediately got the attached error messages:

errors.jpg

Here's the Windows Error Report data:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: GetPopupInfo.exe
    Application Version: 15.3.0.2
    Application Timestamp: 555c6b2b
    Fault Module Name: vorbis.acm
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.3.6
    Fault Module Timestamp: 50a51541
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000001f4f
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 3081
    Additional Information 1: 8eb5
    Additional Information 2: 8eb5a186024d65d81afec547bffe0b0d
    Additional Information 3: 649a
    Additional Information 4: 649aed600492e0195a8b34f6fb31c22e

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Administrator

vorbis.acm

That is a windows system driver for decoding ogg vorbis within wave files (they do not exist), uninstall it (it was not standard on Windows). Perhaps it came with a media player.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I just tried installing 15.2 Ref and immediately got same popupinfo crash error. It used to work fine so am wondering what has changed for it not to work.

The error also still occurs when Hitman Pro Alert is disabled (disbaled before reboot using mscofig).

There are also no Windows Firewall entries for either dBpoweramp or any elements of it blocking internet or network access.

I have two other OS with dBpoweramp Ref on them so i'll see if issue is happening on them too.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdr View Post
    I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I just tried installing 15.2 Ref and immediately got same popupinfo crash error. It used to work fine so am wondering what has changed for it not to work.
    Difficult to say and you seem to have ruled out anti-virus/security software.

Have a checked the Event Viewer for clues when the error occurs? Have you made any other changes to your system recently? Are any other errors occurring on your system?

Administrator

See my post (3 before this one).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    vorbis.acm

That is a windows system driver for decoding ogg vorbis within wave files (they do not exist), uninstall it (it was not standard on Windows). Perhaps it came with a media player.
    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Difficult to say and you seem to have ruled out anti-virus/security software.

Have a checked the Event Viewer for clues when the error occurs? Have you made any other changes to your system recently? Are any other errors occurring on your system?
    Thanks for your assistance

Prior to reading your advices I did a generic system search for 'vorbis.acm' and found 2 instances at the following locations:

C:\Windows\System32
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64

On reading your post Spoon I felt confident in breaking the file type association of both instances by adding .bak to both filenames so that they became 'vorbis.acm.bak'.

Mville, I then checked the Event Viewer and it indeed showed that the faulting vorbis.acm module was located at:

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32

Having broken the .acm file associations I then opened dBpoweramp Config dialogue and re-enabled 'Enable Pop-up Information Tips' and received no error

I opened the 'Audio Properties' tab in File Properties of a .flac file and all the file audio information is showing properly again :D

So, it's fixed!

Thanks so much for guiding me through to resolution, and thanks Spoon for your program. I've been using it for years, and will continue doing so for years more.
    Last edited by mdr; 12-19-2015 at 01:43 PM.

db capture.jpghi! first, thanks a lot for your software, i have been a fan since many years ago... i recently changed from a pc win7 to a laptop win10, and i started to get the same message as the other guy ""Error: decoder appears to have frozen, corrupt audio file?" and the I noticed, that VIDEO mp4 files were freezing upon selecting in explorer.. and I notice the dbpweramp pop up in those files.. but I just want db asocieated with mp3 files... i went to the configuration program and there is a mention for "exclusions" but for "property handler" whatever that means... how can i select which type of files are going to be usiung the pop up feature?? i really love that option, but i dont love the freezing of mp4... thanks in advance!

Administrator

Which version of dBpoweramp do you have?