title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp R16 Discussions

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MartinGr
    • May 2008

Re: dBpoweramp R16 Discussions

Originally posted by Dat Ei
    Hey MartinGr,
    AMG support will be discontinued: clickclack!

Isn't that a problem of the databse content, but not the dBpa version?

Dat Ei
    Oh, sorry. I thought I've read a long time ago, that AMG will be replaced by a database from the same distributor, with a different name. But I suppose I understood that wrong.

And of course: the composer problem is a problem of the database. Perfect Meta doesn't help here much, because only Discogs seems to provide this information (?). But if AMG isn't available anymore, I'll have to live with that.

Thanks,
    Martin

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

I finally got around to downloading the beta and have exercised it a little. I really like the clean look and use of appropriate color.

Now I realize that the update is only part way done, but there are two issues in R15 and earlier that are still there, both have caused me grief. I'm hoping they can be addressed in the final release:

If you enter or recover from the metadata source different genres or years for different tracks, all is well until you open the "review metadata from individual providers" page. At that point, the software, without warning, overwrites the genre and year tags for every track after track one with the data already entered for track one. This has screwed me up on numerous occasions when I've wanted to quickly correct something like the composer field on a bunch of tracks and have therefore opened the "review" page where it is easy to copy and paste stuff between tracks, only to discover that it has messed up my recently entered genre data. Please fix this.

The other issue, also involving the "review metadata from individual providers" page: If you make an entry in the Genre or Year boxes, and then move the cursor elsewhere on the screen, even clicking outside either box, those boxes don't loose the focus. If you then use the scroll wheel or the arrow keys to scroll down the screen, instead of scrolling the screen, it scrolls through the different presets for Genre or Year, messing up the data you just entered. The only way to move the focus is to actually click on one of the boxes that does not scroll, like one of the titles. I've had this happen literally hundreds of times, even though I well know how it behaves, as it is anti-intuitive. Can you please have those boxes loose the focus when the cursor isn't over them, or at least allow a click anywhere outside the box, like in a blank part of the screen, remove the focus. Please!!

Now, I'll be sorry to loose AMG. Much of my collection is Caribbean music, Soca and such. The stored metadata there is very sparse, and often AMG is the only provider who has metadata. I'll be experimenting to see how Discogs compares. The FreeDB data, if present, is often such a mess as to be useless, and completely lacks important fields, such as composer (I've looked at their raw database, there are very few tags in it). If there is a cost issue, it might work if there were a subscription system with the necessary handles in the ripper where individuals could subscribe to a different metadata provider and have it link to the ripper.

Comment

• schmidj
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2013

So I just did a little metadata experiment. I grabbed nine Soca/Calypso CD's, never ripped by me, all in the 10 to 15 year old range. Just pulled 9 in a row from a shelf, not specially selected. I looked to see who had metadata. 8 of the 9 were in AMG. One was in no database. One was in Discogs (and AMG) (and in Accuraterip). One was in FreeDB (and AMG) (and in Accuraterip). Two were in GD3 (and in AMG). None were in MusicBrainz. Given that I still have several thousand Caribbean CD's to rip, and only do it when I have spare time, this is a major issue to me. I do not relish the thought of entering manual metadata for three or more times as many CD's as I do now. Is there any solution?

Comment

• Dat Ei
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2014

Hey schmidj,

Originally posted by schmidj
          If you enter or recover from the metadata source different genres or years for different tracks, all is well until you open the "review metadata from individual providers" page. At that point, the software, without warning, overwrites the genre and year tags for every track after track one with the data already entered for track one. This has screwed me up on numerous occasions when I've wanted to quickly correct something like the composer field on a bunch of tracks and have therefore opened the "review" page where it is easy to copy and paste stuff between tracks, only to discover that it has messed up my recently entered genre data. Please fix this.
          I second that! Even if one quits the review dialog with escape, which means "cancel" / closing the dailog without any change in data in the windows style guide, the original data is lost.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

We cannot do anything about AMG, it goes off line in a matter of months. The replacement is not AMG, even though it is the same company, it is a totally different database and we are not going to implement it for R16.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• schmidj
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2013

That is unfortunate. Is there any way of getting or accessing a legacy copy of the old AMG database and continuing to use it, with, let us say DBPA 15? I wouldn't mind paying them their $12/year (or thereabouts) membership fee for access. Going from 90% metadata to 10% or 20% is an awful hit for me.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Their servers are being taken offline, no one can access it.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MTWolf
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2011

Spoon,

Minor issue R16 Beta 8. I now understand some of the problems with not being able to submit a new cd to Freedb. One cd I use as a test case shows the problem. It is not in any database, Perfect match review show no information, but it has CD-Text. The Submit To FREEDB is grayed out. I ran the cd through my Software and found that in fact there is a match in Freedb, but it is the wrong disc. So the lookup is getting an answer but not the right one. There is no indication of this, except the Grayed out submit button. The button should NOT be grayed out, and I should be able to submit the cd in a different category than the one returned (ROCK) since it is a JAZZ cd.

Test cd is Ron Davis: Pocket Symphronica (correct spelling) Rally Records REA-ED-5886 UPC 625712588624 No Data from other lookups, no data shown for FREEDB.

CDDB ID 930c430b MBID c2femhocun7oFxb99GBjmBAmA9E-
                  Freedb lookup http://freedb.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cd...opment&proto=5
                  MusicBrainz Freedb Lookup http://freedb.musicbrainz.org:80/~cd...opment&proto=5
                  MusicBrainz Lookup http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/discid/c...mA9E-?&fmt=xml

Thanks.

Comment

• MTWolf
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2011

Another two glitches, R16 Beta 8,

Trailing Spaces are not trimmed from CD-Text strings (artist,title,genre,album,etc).

The bug with CD-Text where the album artist is made the artist for only the first track still exists.

Block of example CD-TEXT data for cd that comes up as with album artist as artist for first track.
                    (PT - PACK TYPE; E - EXTENSION; TR - TRACK NUMBER; Sq - SEQUENCE; U - UNICODE; b -BLOCK NUMBER; CP - CHARACTER POSITION; CRC not shown)
                    PT E TR Sq U b CP TEXT
                    80 0 00 00 0 0 00 - 57 69 6C 6C 00 53 74 2E 20 41 70 6F
                    80 0 01 01 0 0 07 - 6C 6F 6E 69 61 00 4E 65 62 75 6C 61
                    80 0 02 02 0 0 06 - 00 42 65 61 63 68 65 64 00 53 61 6D
                    80 0 04 03 0 0 03 - 65 00 57 69 73 74 00 42 69 67 20 48
                    80 0 06 04 0 0 05 - 6F 6C 6C 6F 77 00 48 65 61 64 69 6E
                    80 0 07 05 0 0 06 - 67 20 48 6F 6D 65 00 53 6F 6D 65 77
                    80 0 08 06 0 0 05 - 61 79 00 53 65 65 2C 20 4B 6E 6F 77
                    80 0 09 07 0 0 09 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                    81 0 00 08 0 0 00 - 4A 75 6C 69 61 6E 6E 61 20 42 61 72
                    81 0 00 09 0 0 12 - 77 69 63 6B 20 00 09 00 09 00 09 00
                    81 0 04 10 0 0 00 - 09 00 09 00 09 00 09 00 09 00 09 00
                    8F 0 00 11 0 0 00 - 00 01 09 00 08 03 00 00 00 00 00 00
                    8F 0 01 12 0 0 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 0D 00 00 00
                    8F 0 02 13 0 0 00 - 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Comment

• Michael Sargent
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by MTWolf
                      Trailing Spaces are not trimmed from CD-Text strings (artist,title,genre,album,etc).
                      Can that be considered a general request: trim (start and end) all metadata (not just from CD-Text). I've gotten burned by that a number of times with metadata from various sources. Just generally trimming all metadata would be nice.

Thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Michael Sargent
                        Can that be considered a general request: trim (start and end) all metadata (not just from CD-Text). I've gotten burned by that a number of times with metadata from various sources. Just generally trimming all metadata would be nice.

Thanks,
                        Mike
                        Excellent suggestion.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by MTWolf
                          The bug with CD-Text where the album artist is made the artist for only the first track still exists.
                          Elaborate please on this. The Album Artist is only set for track 1?
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• linkman
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by schmidj
                            So I just did a little metadata experiment. I grabbed nine Soca/Calypso CD's, never ripped by me, all in the 10 to 15 year old range. Just pulled 9 in a row from a shelf, not specially selected. I looked to see who had metadata. 8 of the 9 were in AMG. One was in no database. One was in Discogs (and AMG) (and in Accuraterip). One was in FreeDB (and AMG) (and in Accuraterip). Two were in GD3 (and in AMG). None were in MusicBrainz. Given that I still have several thousand Caribbean CD's to rip, and only do it when I have spare time, this is a major issue to me. I do not relish the thought of entering manual metadata for three or more times as many CD's as I do now. Is there any solution?
                            Have you tried the missing ones with iTunes? I find that Gracenote has a very thorough catalog. I would hate to rip several thousand without a robotic changer though (QQ ripper with a supported changer could be your friend here).

Comment

• MTWolf
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
                              Elaborate please on this. The Album Artist is only set for track 1?
                              The CD-Text loads and leaves the Artist and Album Artist fields blank, Only the First Track has an Artist and sometimes the compilation flag is set (again I suspect the following).
                              I suspect it is caused by the TAB character not correctly being interpreted as DITTO (same as previous entry).

In the example dump I included you'll see that the Artist for track 1 is filled in and all subsequent tracks have a TAB character (0x09) for Artist. The Artist for Track 2 is a TAB and therefor should be filled with the artist from Track 1, Artist for Track 3 is a TAB so it should be filled with the Artist from Track 2, Repeat for all Tracks/Fields containing a TAB. TAB can be used in any of the fields to Ditto the data from the same field in the previous track Entry.

Also, were the bugs documented in the following ever addressed?

A Quick Note about why this is important, Broadcasters (RADIO,STREAM,TV) have to Report ISRC, UPC, Title, Artist, etc to the record companies for songs we play. The only source for ISRC is on the cd itself, and not all cd's are in the online databases (and the Freedb Submit menu item is still coming up grayed out when it

Thank You.

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

Genre was fixed in last update.

About the artist, you mention that refreshing populates the whole details correctly? if so then I do not think CD Ripper is at fault, as the code is self contained, it does not carry over from last time, we correctly work with tab to populate later items, it must be the CD drive which is missing the tab char on the first read...
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>