title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Volume Normalize inconsistencies (Mac version)

Some Volume Normalize inconsistencies (Mac version)

While evalutating the Volume Normalization of the Mac version of dbPa I found some inconsistencies.

The errors are generally not repeatable. That is, when I code the exact same source files once more, using exactly the same parameters in dbPa I don't necessarily get the same errors on the same output files.

Has anyone else seen inconsistent problems like these?
    1. Some low volume files (below -20 LUFS) are not normalized correctly, generally too low.
    2. Fullscale files are not normalized correctly, mostly too loud or content damaged.
    3. Coding to or from AAC seems to increase number of errors.
    4. Random other files from time to time missing target loudness or are damaged.

Number 1 is repeatable.

I used a test file (same audio content), with various loudness levels and various file formats (wav, flac, aac, mp3) and I processed many files at the same time mixing formats and loudness in the same pass. I tried both Replay Gain and LUFS (-23) as target. Similar results.

If I used an additional DSP (Volume Normalize Gain, to be able to use -18 LUFS as target) I also got read errors from "rendered file" resulting in an unplayable file from time to time.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific than this but since the errors are not reproduceable it's hard to track the exact problem. But if anyone else get similar results it might be of interest anyway.

I also tried another Level Normalisation program on Mac (which also processes the actual audio in the files) and these did not show any inconsistencies so I don't think there was a general problem with my source material (rendered by Logic Studio 9).

I use dbPa on Mac OS 10.8.5
    Last edited by Oortone; 12-02-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Administrator

Re: Some Volume Normalize inconsistencies (Mac version)

You were using 1 DSP effect only 'Volume Normalize'?

Mainly, yes.
    In one case I used two "Volume Normalize", that's when I got two files that weren't even readable by players.

But the others were with one Volume Normalize only.

Administrator

>Fullscale files are not normalized correctly, mostly too loud or content damaged

Explain what you mean by Content damaged please.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >Fullscale files are not normalized correctly, mostly too loud or content damaged

Explain what you mean by Content damaged please.
    Strange things happening with the sound.
    If you are interested I can send you source and result files.
    Please let me know where by PM in that case.
    Don't feel obliged to follow up on this since I'm only evaluating the demo of the software.

Administrator

Please upload the files to dropbox, then send me a link by Personal Message on this forum, the files will be too big to email.

OK, might take a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Oortone View Post
    OK, might take a day or two.
    Done.

I have too many inconsistencies after converting to "normalize volume"
    1) volume normalize MP3 to MP3 is totally unstable and therefore not usable! different songs have an unstable noise, others were not transferred correctly. Slower conversion brought no improvement.
    2) attempt to normalize in mp3 => Flac volume normalize, however, clearly more stable many songs incorrect. (wrong song written under the title, ...). here too the conversion is bad employable!
    my setup:
    IMAC PC, ethernet connection to your modem, connection to server Synlogy DS415play with Ethernet cable. songs are saved on the Synology.

regards,

Philippe

problems after converting - Volume Normalization- of mp3 songs (iMac)

1) volume normalize from MP3 to MP3 songs is totally unstable and therefore not usable! different songs have within the song an unstable volume , others (many) were not transferred correctly. Slower conversion speed brought no improvement.
    I also note that the files after conversion have become significantly less?
    2) other attempt to normalize volume from mp3 => Flac (makes little sense but ...), however, volume normalize is clearly better but many songs are incorrect transferred. (wrong song written under the title, first song also written in the second title!, ... ). also here too many errors therefore is the transfer is badly employable!

my setup:
    My IMAC PC with dBpoweramp is connected to the modem by ethernet,
    Synology DS415play (used only for music server) is also connected over an ethernet cable to the modem. All songs are saved on the Synology.

What is wrong?

regards,

Philippe

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: problems after converting - Volume Normalization- of mp3 songs (iMac)

Quote Originally Posted by PhS View Post
    1) volume normalize from MP3 to MP3 songs is totally unstable and therefore not usable! different songs have within the song an unstable volume , others (many) were not transferred correctly. Slower conversion speed brought no improvement.
    I also note that the files after conversion have become significantly less?
    2) other attempt to normalize volume from mp3 => Flac (makes little sense but ...), however, volume normalize is clearly better but many songs are incorrect transferred. (wrong song written under the title, first song also written in the second title!, ... ). also here too many errors therefore is the transfer is badly employable!

my setup:
    My IMAC PC with dBpoweramp is connected to the modem by ethernet,
    Synology DS415play (used only for music server) is also connected over an ethernet cable to the modem. All songs are saved on the Synology.

What is wrong?

regards,

Philippe
    volume normalize has nothing to do with transfering other tags (song name, album, etc.). You must be doing something else wrong in your process if the metadata is becoming incorrect your files.

Thanks for your replay, but I just have Volume normalize as DSP in this process!

Also strange for me that after converting the mp3 file is substantially narrowed?

Philippe

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for your replay, but I just have Volume normalize as DSP in this process!

Also strange for me that after converting the mp3 file is substantially narrowed?

Philippe
    what do you mean by "narrowed". Also, even though you only have Volume Normalize as DSP, what do you have in your dynamic naming string for the converted files. This could effect naming and file location.

edit: I'm sure there is some sort of problem with your settings that is causing the issue. But I can't tell what you're actually doing and what settings your using. (maybe post some screen shots??). In any case, I can tell you that I've converted many thousands of files from FLAC albums to mp3 versions, using various DSPs, and all has worked perfectly. So it is not a bug in the program.
    Last edited by garym; 12-14-2015 at 01:57 PM.

With "narrowed" i mean that the mp3 file is 4,5MB before converting and he is after converting (still mp3) only 2,9MB.

screen shots: Schermafbeelding 2015-12-15 om 11.53.58.png

I have set the variable bit rate quality very low to avoid failures

I hope you can read the screenprint other I have to sent him in on other format

dBpoweramp Guru

With "narrowed" i mean that the mp3 file is 4,5MB before converting and he is after converting (still mp3) only 2,9MB.

screen shots: Schermafbeelding 2015-12-15 om 11.53.58.pngk

I have set the variable bit rate quality very low to avoid failures

I hope you can read the screenprint other I have to sent him in on other format
    what was the bitrate of the original MP3. V-8 is pretty low bitrate so of course should be smaller size. Why are you reencoding to MP3 just to volume normalize? Does your player support replaygain tags (or if Apple, soundcheck)