title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Volume Normalize inconsistencies (Mac version)

Re: problems after converting - Volume Normalization- of mp3 songs (iMac)

The bit rate was Variable.

If I increase the bitrate of the file will be bigger? Will I get a better quality?

A lot of the songs are recorded too laud, i will make play lists and when the volumes are not on the same level ist's not useful.

My player (Marantz NA11-S1) doesn't read tags!

I think data transfer between the iMac and the server (very high transfer rate over the ethernet cable) cause of many mistakes! Can this be the cause and what can we do about it?

dBpoweramp Guru

yes, moving up to something like -V2 will be better quality and larger file. -V8 is pretty low bitrate low quality mp3 file.

If you are converting mp3 to mp3 (lossy to lossy, which is not a great idea), I'd convert to LAME -V0 (high quality). And I'd simply add the DSP for volume normalize. But I'd also, change my naming string to give these correct file names and put them in correct folder. Do you know how to use the dynamic naming function?

edit: it is highly unlikely that mistakes are due to transfer from imac to server over ethernet (or wifi). I think your problem is in naming the new files. (I also think the quality problem is in creating low quality -V8 mp3 files!)
    Last edited by garym; 12-15-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Can you please explain about the dynamic naming function?

thx

dBpoweramp Guru

On the conversion screen, in "output location" tick the "dynamic naming" option. Then give it the tag info that you want to use in naming. For example,

[track]-[title]-[artist]

would name a file like:
    01-Something-The Beatles.mp3

Or you could use
    [artist]\[track]-[title]

and this would create a subdirectory for the artist and put the tracks underneath, like

The Beatles\01-Something

Better yet would be:

[artist]\[album]\[track]-[title]

This would create an artist subdirectory and an album subdirectory under this:

The Beatles\Abbey Road\01-Something.mp3

And in all these examples, the directory in the space just above dynamic naming will be the "parent" directory. In your case this would be "AAA Copy D SMALLE" (not sure you really mean to have the "a" after SMALLE\.

And all this assumes that your files have tags that contain ALBUM, ARTIST, TRACK, TITLE.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    [...]
    I've converted many thousands of files from FLAC albums to mp3 versions, using various DSPs, and all has worked perfectly. So it is not a bug in the program.
    Please note, this is the Mac version of dbPoweramp we are discussing.

So is it the Mac version you are referring to here?
    If it's not then it's not relevant. The other discussion was destroyed by numerous missunderstandings in this matter.

dBpoweramp Guru

I use the windows version. But PhS is slowly learning how this program works and most (all?) of his issues are in a few misunderstandings about the workings of the program and not the Windows vs Mac issue. PhS's issue is not that there is no "volume normalization" utility Codec in the Mac version (I recall that was your issue). His issue is a more basic problem with the use of the converter program in general.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I use the windows version. But PhS is slowly learning how this program works and most (all?) of his issues are in a few misunderstandings about the workings of the program and not the Windows vs Mac issue. PhS's issue is not that there is no "volume normalization" utility Codec in the Mac version (I recall that was your issue). His issue is a more basic problem with the use of the converter program in general.
    I don't agree completely.
    Some of the issues he describes in his first post is very similar to what I had.
    Namely this: "different songs have an unstable noise, others were not transferred correctly"

If this is indeed the case, and he is on Mac, then this confirms my findings.

It might be a better idea to move the discussion about tags and mp3 encoding settings to another thread so we don't lose sight of what could very well be a possible bug when the code from dbPoweramp was migrated to Mac.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oortone View Post
    I don't agree completely.
    Some of the issues he describes in his first post is very similar to what I had.
    Namely this: "different songs have an unstable noise, others were not transferred correctly"

If this is indeed the case, and he is on Mac, then this confirms my findings.

It might be a better idea to move the discussion about tags and mp3 encoding settings to another thread so we don't lose sight of what could very well be a possible bug when the code from dbPoweramp was migrated to Mac.
    You could be right, but its hard to tell because his issues are confounded with making new mp3 files with ~80kbps bit rate (which would sound pretty bad) and with a lack of understanding of the file naming protocol. It would be best to separate the issues. And thanks for chiming in, because it seems I was the only one helping with this issue and I'm not entirely following his posts. I suspect that we have a bit of a language divide and some things are lost in translation as they say...

Hallo Garym,

sorry for my late replay
    For clarity, the mistakes I had also at higher bit rate conversions!, I set bitrate lower because I thought it would be better (which according to the conversation was been wrong)
    As a test for me, I convert now the files completely on my mac and not through the server.
    It will take a few days before i can give FB

Regards,

After conversion again I find mistakes, for example,

Before: Al Jarreau - Breakin' Away - 01 - Closer To Your Love.mp3 3,9MB
    After volume convertion: Al Jarreau - Breakin' Away - 01 - Closer To Your Love.mp3 376KB
    Here the song was not fully transferred

other error:
    Al Jarreau - Breakin' Away - 04 - Easy.mp3 5,8MB
    Al Jarreau - Breakin' Away - 05 - Our Love.mp3 5,8MB
    The second song is incorrect, here the last song was written again!

Amy Macdonald - A Curious Thing - 05 - An Ordinary Life.Mp3 5,6MB
    Amy Macdonald - A Curious Thing - 06 - Give It All Up.Mp3 5,6MB

same error, second song is also An Ordinary Life
    extra error: volume is unstable in the song!!

=> no improvement!

Administrator

This suggests that there is a fundamental writing issue, rather than a replaygain issue. If you converted without the replaygain the issue might happen also.

Hi Spoon,

Writing a mac file to another makes mistakes?
    I would therefore not have this with other software such as word, excel, ..?
    I spot any errors stuck there!

Administrator

Try converting to a new location so it does not overwrite the existing location.

I've done your proposal to save the converted files to a new location.
    The problem with the wrong writing songs (same songs among themselves, but under a different song name) remained!

Referencing copy errors caused by imac I really can not accept, I have edited denoting congestion, moved, copied, ...

What goes wrong?

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm out of ideas. There is something odd going on, as this is not normal behavior of dbpa software.