title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Which platform is "best" for [Accurate] Rips? Help me choose between 3 options...

Which platform is "best" for [Accurate] Rips? Help me choose between 3 options...

(Forgive me if the Mac vs. PC thing has been covered already; I didn't see anything)

So I have a paid copy of 14.4, and I'm going to upgrade to 15 -- thanks for the great pricing Spoon! It's appreciated! -- but I'm wondering which is the best platform.

My choices:

1. My current set up: A Windows 7 desktop box, with 3 drives, one of which some program (dbpoweramp? EaC?) thinks is great for ripping. It's so old it's not even a DVD writer, just a reader. Anyway, I have that and 2 other drives to choose from.

2. An early 2011 Macbook Pro setup with an internal Superdrive (this is the last 15" model to have a superdrive, before the Retina models)

3. The same computer, (or a 2014 15" Retina Macbook Pro, actually, although I can't imagine this matters much) with an external USB Superdrive.

4* A Macbook with some other external USB drive that someone recommends as being awesome.

My intuition is that sticking with the Windows machine is probably "best" for accurate rips, etc. But before I pay for the upgrade, I just figured I'd ask. I don't use that machine for anything OTHER than ripping, so there might be value in never having to boot it again. =] But if Windows is preferred over the Mac, I'll stick with it.

SIDE NOTE: I paid a company to do my ripping for me, thinking that it made sense to just throw money at the problem. I regret the decision. The process was relatively painful, took forever, and the results were less than stellar. Luckily, they refunded my money, but it gives me an appreciation for the dbpoweramp product -- which is what the professionals use, of course -- and the ability to do this on my own.

Thank you, Spoon!

Administrator

Re: Which platform is "best" for [Accurate] Rips? Help me choose between 3 options.

I would stay with (1), as you have more drive choices on that machine.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Which platform is "best" for [Accurate] Rips? Help me choose between 3 options.

I agree with Spoon, as I've found for myself, the ability to use several different drives for both a speed increase and how they cope with copy protection is a great benefit.

I use Windows 7, but 1 advantage I've read about for Mac users, is dealing with discs with pre-emphasis. If you don't own any such discs, then this isn't an issue.

Oggy.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    1 advantage I've read about for Mac users, is dealing with discs with pre-emphasis.
    Is there any difference between dBpa for Windows and for Mac OS on this?

If not, I suspect the difference you have picked up, is between iTunes and Windows Media Player: WMP only supports (or at least it was so in some version) de-emphasis when playing CDs, not when ripping CDs.

My solution is to tag them, and apply de-emphasis on-the-fly through my media player (foobar2000).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    My solution is to tag them, and apply de-emphasis on-the-fly through my media player (foobar2000).
    Agreed, I have no problem with with pre-emphasis CDs on the Windows platform. Maybe Oggy would like to elaborate?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Agreed, I have no problem with with pre-emphasis CDs on the Windows platform. Maybe Oggy would like to elaborate?
    Sorry I didn't make myself at all clear here. No, I'm sure there is no real differences between dBpa in the two platforms and I wasn't talking iTunes or WMP. I know Porcus has offered me the Foobar solution before (many thanks!), but I was looking for an easy windows / dBpa (destructive!) de-emph curve. Not being able to get my head around SoX or really wanting to use iTunes, I'm still looking.

Whilst trying to find a solution (I use Win 7 dBpa) I read about a solution for Mac users which both detects pre-emphasis and applies de-emphasis.

I guess the percentage of discs with pre-emphasis is very small, so in reality this wouldn't sway a decision.

Hope this makes sense!

Oggy.