title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asset 4.6 for OS X not fully functional

Asset 4.6 for OS X not fully functional

I just installed 4.6 as an update to 4.5 on my Mac Mini (OS X 10.11.1) and although everything 'appeared' precisely as has been the case for the last year or so (which is to say, functioning flawlessly) under that rosy facade of promised improvement, bugs were busy cookin' up some kind a buggery !!

In fact other than all of my assigned views appearing intact, the only selections which would allow me to actually play music were that of: Album Artist/Album and Playlists/Recent Albums.
    Selecting ANY other views such as Genre, Style etc... only presented me with the message 'DIRECTORY EMPTY !'

As I don't particularly care for bugs, particular arriving in the form of a so called 'update', I ventured into my Time Capsule and retrieved the prior 4.5 version, quit the crippled 4.6 and started 4.5... et voila, everything is once again back to normal functionality :-)

Might I suggest that the chief bug inspector don his gas mask and promptly direct his fumigatory skills in the direction of 4.6.

Super Moderator

Re: Asset 4.6 for OS X not fully functional

Thanks for the report.
    Sorry to hear that it is not working for you.

Asset R4.6 codebase was in testing for months before the release and nothing was changed recently, last minute fixes were for more crash cases of the OSX configuration dialog only, so whatever it is, it's somehow specific to your configuration.

What application are you using to browse your Asset library? 'DIRECTORY EMTPY !' is not a message that Asset generates.

I use a Moon MiND 180 renderer with their associated MiND app.
    I've been running the MiND app, which itself has seen numerous updates over the last couple of years, alongside Asset 4.4 & 4.5, the very first time such a message appeared was immediately after installing 4.6.
    Rebooting both 4.6 and the MiND app as well as trying refreshes of directories and caches proved to be of no avail, whereas reverting to Asset 4.5 immediately restored complete functionality.....

Super Moderator

Thanks for your report.

I am unable to test the MiND app as it will not let me browse anything without MiND hardware present on my local network - if you know a way around this, please do tell.

It would be helpful if you could try another UPnP browser - such as Linn Kinsky ( iTunes store ) to browse Asset R4.6 library and report if it works for you, then we know whether Asset is broken in general on your setup or is just having trouble communicating with the MiND app.

( Tested Linn Kinsky just now, it does let me browse without Linn hardware present on the net )

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for your report.

I am unable to test the MiND app as it will not let me browse anything without MiND hardware present on my local network - if you know a way around this, please do tell.

It would be helpful if you could try another UPnP browser - such as Linn Kinsky ( iTunes store ) to browse Asset R4.6 library and report if it works for you, then we know whether Asset is broken in general on your setup or is just having trouble communicating with the MiND app.

( Tested Linn Kinsky just now, it does let me browse without Linn hardware present on the net )
    Hi Peter, I haven't actually tried the MiND app without the hardware connected but I just tried Kinsky and also Creation 5 (which is also a free download from the app store...) both work fine with 4.5, but when running 4.6 both find all the top directories as does the MiND app, but neither are able to actually retrieve any content to playback, so it strongly suggests that the issue is not isolated to the MiND app but is due to an aspect of the code in 4.6.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the details. We're definitely dealing with a bug in Asset here.

I would like you to send me an archive of your Asset's configuration and library data.
    In the terminal, run the following:
    cd ~/Library/dBpoweramp/ && tar czf ~/Desktop/AssetConfig.tgz .
    This will produce a file named "AssetConfig.tgz" on your desktop; please email it to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis; I should then be able to recreate and analyze what you're experiencing.

Thanks again.

Peter, I responded yesterday but my message was quarantined or something ?
    So I'll try again...
    I ran 4.6 with both Kinsky and Creation 5 (which is another UPnP browser available as a free download from the app store)... both suffer the same crippled funtionality as the MiND app, and conversely ALL function fully as expected with 4.5, which strongly suggests that there are issues with the 4.6 code, when running OS X 10.11.1 at least.

Super Moderator

Your yesterday's post seems visible to me? I responded to it...
    Anyway, if that's not too much of trouble, please send me a snapshot of your Asset configuration & library state, as instructed in my previous post.

Aha... weird browser behaviour there... I refreshed the page but it didn't 'actually' refresh until after I logged back in just now... !
    Anyway I'm presently uploading the file using Mail Drop as it's too large to email you, in fact the compressed file is a whopping 608.4 MB ??!?!?!

Btw: I'm uploading the log from 4.5 which is currently running (and it's informing me that it's going to take 3 hours... ), so do you want the log from 4.5 or should I run 4.6 and dump that log (pun intended ;-)

Super Moderator

Thanks for uploading, this will be most interesting when I get it.

Please keep uploading the file you started uploading. It should make no significant difference which version was last used before the configuration dump was taken as they both store configuration data in the same folder, and even if 4.5 was last used the bug should recur upon launching 4.6 with the same configuration & library.

Upload complete, please let me know if you have any issues retrieving the file as I've not previously used the Apple Mail Drop service before, I'm guessing that it automatically adds a cloud based download link once the recipients address has been validated.
    I'd also be interested to know if or what you find in relation to the issue I experienced with 4.6...

Super Moderator

Thanks for the file.

Unfortunately it seems to have either failed to compress or transfer entirely - due to nearly 1GB of album art cache - this alone is a separate bug report but I don't think it's to blame for what you're experiencing, either way it will be looked into, cache should not grow this huge.

Please check your mailbox for further instructions to produce a smaller configuration dump archive without the oversized file causing trouble.

Thanks agian.

Administrator

How many audio tracks do you have in your Collection?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Unfortunately it seems to have either failed to compress or transfer entirely - due to nearly 1GB of album art cache - this alone is a separate bug report but I don't think it's to blame for what you're experiencing, either way it will be looked into, cache should not grow this huge.
    I'm running Asset R5.2beta, Library Contains 93868 Tracks, 2928 Albums. ArtStorev5.bin is 1.17GB. Are you saying this is a indicative of a problem?