title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: VGP-XL1B repair question

VGP-XL1B repair question

Greetings,

Does anyone in the dbpoweramp community know whether there is a repair manual floating around out in the ether anywhere? I called Sony, and didn't get very far. I also posted on their community page.

Thanks.

- s.west

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: VGP-XL1B repair question

Quote Originally Posted by samuelkwest View Post
    Does anyone in the dbpoweramp community know whether there is a repair manual floating around out in the ether anywhere? I called Sony, and didn't get very far. I also posted on their community page.
    What is your issue?

I own one-and-a-half of these, and I have never seen a repair manual, but I have been able to switch parts from one of them to another even though I am not more than average handy. If it is misalignment: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...l*post10415037

It is based on a Powerfile C200 (I think it is the C200), although people who have obtained the Powerfile found themselves struggling to get it to work; but if you find any manual on that, it could possibly be helpful.

Turns out that it was misalignment. I finally figured out the Home location (marked with black paint on the carousel slot), and I could see that it was off by some small amount. It only made sense that there should be some sort of drive-capstan adjustment, so, after scratching my head for a bit, out popped an idea, and I was able to get it realigned.

I'll check the URL you posted, and see if I was on track with my adjustment (and maybe I can add to the post)... be right back ... Ok, I'm back. Thanks for that link because I think that I left out a step.

Even so, after my own adjustment process I was able to successfully load ~160 discs, rip them, and eject them with no failures of any kind.

Thanks, again.

- s.west

p.s. I really should open a new thread on this, but since I have your attention here, I'll go ahead and ask it.

I'm using an Escient product (a recent e-bay purchase, as an experiment), along with Escient's Fireball-PC software product, which presents an Escient-compatible media-server to the network.
    That software is working fine, with one exception: It won't deliver the Cover art to the Escient client. The audio content plays just fine, but the client doesn't seem to get the Cover art.
    Now, this is with the batch-ripped stuff. When I single-ripped an album, and output it to my PC's Music Library location, that album worked just fine, with respect to the Cover art.

So, I looked at the permissions/security on the to versions of my ripped output, and I found that, on the single-ripped entry, that was ripped to my Music Library, there was a different entry under 'Group or user names': WMPNetworkSvc.

Does that ring a bell with you? Is this a candidate explanation for why this software media server product (i.e., Fireball-PC), is unable to deliver the cover art? It's weird, because, as I say, the actual audio delivers just fine (and it, likewise, doesn't have this WMPNetworkSvc 'Group').

I'm just casting about for ideas as to why this isn't working... Thanks for reading.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by samuelkwest View Post
    since I have your attention here, I'll go ahead and ask it.

I'm using an Escient product [...] Does that ring a bell with you?
    Nope, never even heard of it.

I think Escient went bankrupt 5-6 years ago - bought by Denon and Denon killed it.