title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Moving ripped music file from Mac to My Passport external drive

Moving ripped music file from Mac to My Passport external drive

My FLAC music library I ripped on a Win O/S notebook with dBPoweramp resides on WD My Passport Ultra drive (which is not for Mac specific per se, just a regular My Passport Ultra USB drive). JRiver 20x for Mac plays these FLAC files just fine (with all tags, cover art, etc.) off the My Passport Ultra, however when I rip CD's with dBPoweramp on my Mac, I am unable to move those FLAC files from the Macbook Pro (El Capitan) to > My Passport. What I am I overlooking? Should I just rerip CD's with dBPoweramp on my old Win 7 notebook and drag the files over to the > WD My Passport Ultra USB drive and forget using dBPoweramp with Mac altogether? Would like to abandon Win O/S platform and just use Mac, but can't find a workaround. Thank you.
    Last edited by geoffrey; 10-31-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Administrator

Re: Moving ripped music file from Mac to My Passport external drive

What happens when you try to move the files? there is nothing special about music files, they could be a word document, or jpeg image, they are just files.

The Mac file icon shows an "X" and will not drag over to My Passport USB drive(s).

Administrator

This is in finder?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Think that your WD disk is formatted with NTFS, which OS X is able to read, but unable to write to.

There are some possibilities to overcome this problem:
    - buy additional software that enables your Mac to write to NTFS formatted drives
    - search the internet how to modify OS X to enable writing to NTFS drives (usually unsupported)
    - use free tools available under Windows to modify NTFS to FAT32 (but consider some limitations re. file size etc.).