title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: De-emphasis.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question De-emphasis.

Having worked my way through my CD collection ripping away, learning as I go, I'm now faced with the discs I've been putting off. These are classical ones with more complex tagging needs and ones I know that have pre-emphasis.

I have searched on here and there does not seem to be an easy method (for me!) to de-emphasis discs and unless i've missed them, any comments in the last couple of years. I'm a dBpoweramp user on PC, so is there an easy way (or could someone baby step me through SoX) to rip these dozen or so CDs. I normally wouldn't use a destructive action on a rip, but without a de-emph switch on a DAC, I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance,
    Oggy.

Administrator

Re: De-emphasis.

iTunes will rip with de-emphasis.

dBpoweramp Guru

Do you think that this is the best way now?

Simple SoX script I found and use. Copy and past the following into a new notepad file and save as a .bat extension. Put the batch file in same folder as the SoX program files.

Code:
    rem Example of how to do batch processing with SoX on MS-Windows.
    rem
    rem Place this file in the same folder as sox.exe (& rename it as appropriate).
    rem You can then drag and drop a selection of files onto the batch file (or
    rem onto a `short-cut' to it).
    rem
    rem In this example, the converted files end up in a folder called `converted',
    rem but this, of course, can be changed, as can the parameters to the sox
    rem command.

cd %~dp0
    mkdir converted
    FOR %%A IN (%*) DO sox %%A "converted/%%~nxA" rate -v 44100
    pause

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the replies, looks like iTunes will apply de-emphasis automatically, if the disc is correctly flagged. This makes life easy as long as the PE flags up. Not sure if this works for both flags in TOC and sub-code.

If iTunes doesn't detect PE in the sub-code, then SoX looks like the answer and I can still get a secure rip. Still can't get my head around how to apply the SoX de-emph code.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: De-emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_Layne View Post
    Simple SoX script I found and use. Copy and past the following into a new notepad file and save as a .bat extension. Put the batch file in same folder as the SoX program files.

Code:
    rem Example of how to do batch processing with SoX on MS-Windows.
    rem
    rem Place this file in the same folder as sox.exe (& rename it as appropriate).
    rem You can then drag and drop a selection of files onto the batch file (or
    rem onto a `short-cut' to it).
    rem
    rem In this example, the converted files end up in a folder called `converted',
    rem but this, of course, can be changed, as can the parameters to the sox
    rem command.

cd %~dp0
    mkdir converted
    FOR %%A IN (%*) DO sox %%A "converted/%%~nxA" rate -v 44100
    pause

OK, ripping to AIFF with auto de-emphasis is straightforward in iTunes, but reading up (I know, silly me) would suggest that SoX is slightly more accurate / sounds better. I'm not here to argue this one way or another, but, if someone could give me even more Idiot proof instructions for implantation, I can come to my own conclusion.

Talking to the people I know who are ripping their CDs, they also haven't attempted their PE discs, so this would help 3 fairly inept music lovers!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oggy.

dBpoweramp Guru

I use foobar2000 as audio player, with a component that applies de-emphasis "on-the-fly" upon playback if the file has a tag: https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/in...howtopic=99394

The CUERipper (part of CUETools, http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/Main_Page ) can detect pre-emphasis both from TOC and from subcode.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    I use foobar2000 as audio player, with a component that applies de-emphasis "on-the-fly" upon playback if the file has a tag: https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/in...howtopic=99394

The CUERipper (part of CUETools, http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/Main_Page ) can detect pre-emphasis both from TOC and from subcode.

Thanks for your reply, on further searching I found your thread from a few years ago. Reading the old threads it looks like there hasn't been a break through in de -emphasising discs with PE using Windows and dBpoweramp.

This is a shame as some discs with PE sound much better than the remasters and for some there is no alternative later pressing without PE. Having now talked this over with friends and Hi-Fi dealers there is obviously a number of people are simply ripping these discs without correcting the treble boost - turning some of their best sounding CDs into unlistenable files!

I know I need to de-emph certain discs, still trying to find a way to keep the inherent quality of these discs without a computing degree. Maybe iTunes is the easiest option?

Oggy.