title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to convert 32bit .WAV to FLAC? Error in dbPoweramp

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whanafi
    • Sep 2009

How to convert 32bit .WAV to FLAC? Error in dbPoweramp

I purchased some music from an artist, and the music arrived as a zipped set of .wav files. When I used dbPoweramp to convert, I get the following error message:

Error converting to FLAC, 'E:\Music\John Hinson\Thursday Empire\1_Hello Thursday.wav' to 'E:\Music\John Hinson\Thursday Empire\1_Hello Thursday.flac'
    Error FLAC accepts only PCM audio source. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Looking at the properties of the files, it says they are 32bit floating point, 44.1Khz, and 2,822 bit rate (DVD). I can play them correctly in VLC.

Checking around the web, the answer seems to be to convert to 24 or 16 bit .wav, but all the conversion tools require purchase. Since I use dpPoweramp, I would like to know how to handle this with the software.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to convert 32bit .WAV to FLAC? Error in dbPoweramp

Insert the DSP effect 'Bit depth', set it to 24 bit.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• whanafi
      • Sep 2009

Thanks, that did the trick.

Comment

• Porcus
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by whanafi
        Looking at the properties of the files, it says they are 32bit floating point, 44.1Khz, and 2,822 bit rate (DVD). I can play them correctly in VLC.

Checking around the web, the answer seems to be to convert to 24 or 16 bit
        That is a good idea, because the 32 bit format is total overkill. But if you want to keep it lossless, then the WavPack codec can do it.

Now, the error message from dBpoweramp - "FLAC accepts only PCM audio source" - is misleading. This is a PCM, as you note, but FLAC does not support floating-point. (Also, even though the format offers 32-bit support, the reference implementation does not support it and cannot decode it.)
        More information here: https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/in...howtopic=83520

But converting down should be just fine.
        Last edited by Porcus; 11-05-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>