title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Operating Manual?

Operating Manual?

If there is one, please point me to it.
    One question I have is: What is the difference in use of 'Artist' and 'Album Artist'?
    Another: If songs not listed, only says "Track 1' say, is manual entry my only alternative?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Operating Manual?

Artist is supposed to be the artist on that track. Album Artist is the artist of record for the entire album. On compilation albums, the album artist is often set to Various Artists. Another time they might be different is if a track has a track with a "guest artist", often saying "featuring", where it is common to list both the main artist and the featured artist with a semicolon between. Think when a band has a guest vocalist not part of the band singing a particular track backed by the band.

There is also an "Artist Sort" tag, supposed to deal with variations of artist spelling, changed names, etc. to group them together on your player so you can find them. In my Caribbean music collection, a famous artist changed his name from "Blueboy" to "Superblue", sometimes represented as "Super Blue" after he became famous. In order to have accurate (as on the album) data for artist, but have the songs all appear together when you search for the artist, you can enter "Superblue" or however you remember the artist, under "Artist Sort". Unfortunately not all players recognize artist sort...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    If there is one, please point me to it.
    In PerfectTUNES Control Center, click the PerfectTUNES Help button.

One question I have is: What is the difference in use of 'Artist' and 'Album Artist'?
    Artist can be used as Track Artist, to distinguish it from the Album Artist.

For example:
    Album = Queen Greatest Hits II (2011 Remaster)
    Album Artist = Queen
    Title (for track 2) = Under Pressure
    Artist (for track 2) = Queen and David Bowie
    Artist (for all other tracks) = Queen

Another: If songs not listed, only says "Track 1' say, is manual entry my only alternative?
    I don't understand this question.

Thx for the reply.
    When I bring up Artist Tag Sort I get 874 entries which, when I click the arrow or dots tell me: "Unable to write ID tags to"

Administrator

The files might be read only, or on a location which you are not allowed to write to.

Thanks for the response Spoon.
    I now see I cannot update metadata via JRiver either, so it must be a file issue and not your problem, but I've been unable to free up permissions on these files.