title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: R13.5 unable to load encoder m4a FDK (AAC)

R13.5 unable to load encoder m4a FDK (AAC)

I installed R13.5 on my new all-in-one PC running Win8.1 and also m4a FDK (AAC) encoder (the encoder files seem to exist in the "encoder" folder). I am trying to convert my collection of FLAC files (generated on my previous computer) to AAC for my iPhone but I keep getting "Unable to load encoder m4a FDK (AAC)" message when running Batch Converter. I searched the forum but found only threads discussing syntax issues when running in command-line mode. I am using the graphical mode.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator

Re: R13.5 unable to load encoder m4a FDK (AAC)

It is likely you are installing the 64 bit version, uninstall the codec and hold the right shift key as you double click the m4a installer to force the 32 bit install.

Thank you. Indeed, it works with a new install.

Although the encoder produces files, when they are listed in "detailed" view in the folder, they do not show any text under "Title", "Contributing Artist", "Album" columns unlike some old .m4a files encoded long time ago using, I think, Nero codec. This seems to be causing a problem with iTUnes since when I import those files they get all dumped under single album (all 2000 of them). Something is clearly wrong though I am not sure where the problem is. Maybe tagging is messed up in .m4a files produced by the AAC codec. When I tried with Lame MP3 codec, all was fine. Thanks.

Administrator

To have ID Tags, you also need to install the m4a decoder, as the decoder does the tagging.

Isn't m4a decoder installed automatically with dBpoweramp? This is what is claimed here: https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm

Thank you for a quick response. Which decoder? I was under the impression that m4a decoder comes by default with dBpoweramp. At least this is what this page claims: https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm

Administrator

It is from R14 or newer, uninstall dBpoweramp, install R15 free version (forcing the 32 bit version by holding right shift), then copy the m4a.dll from decoders folder somewhere. Uninstall R15 and install R13.5 and copy over the dll.