title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Very odd AAC (M4a) behaviour using Denon Heos

Very odd AAC (M4a) behaviour using Denon Heos

I have been converting some old mp3 files to AAC using the FDK release 3 codec, but despite all the settings being the same as for an ITunes purchased AAC track, my Denon Heos insists that the file is incompatible. If I re-convert using the FDK release 2.1 codec then it will play but obviously I can't retain the metadata. Any ideas/solutions?

Re: Very odd AAC (M4a) behaviour using Denon Heos

I can make them work by getting iTunes to create AAC files itself but this is VERY slow compared to poweramp and involves lots of moving files around. Still, is there a reason anyone can think of?

dBpoweramp Guru

are you usiing any DSPs along with the encoding the AAC (M4a)?

p.s. Curious, why are you converting mp3 to AAC? Lossy to lossy conversions are never a good idea unless you are forced to (player won't handle mp3???).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    p.s. Curious, why are you converting mp3 to AAC? Lossy to lossy conversions are never a good idea unless you are forced to (player won't handle mp3???).
    +1 Never a good idea. mp3 is the most widely-supported format out there, so it's hard to imagine you'll ever run into a playback device that can't play it. The Heos players are no exception. I would strongly suggest, hughescreative, that you just tune up the metadata on those files (if necessary) and use them as-is. Their audio quality cannot be improved upon and is only degraded by lossy conversion.

I've solved the issue (just going to use iTunes to convert). It wasn't many files but as I've got all my downloaded music in .m4a format and all my CD rips in ALAC .m4a I was just being a bit a**l about my cataloguing, wanted to have no more than two file types. All sorted now. I do appreciate your advice but we all have our little hang ups (no matter how preposterous they are).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hughescreative View Post
    I've solved the issue (just going to use iTunes to convert). It wasn't many files but as I've got all my downloaded music in .m4a format and all my CD rips in ALAC .m4a I was just being a bit a**l about my cataloguing, wanted to have no more than two file types. All sorted now. I do appreciate your advice but we all have our little hang ups (no matter how preposterous they are).
    I understand!