title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Advantage using network share vs folder shares

Advantage using network share vs folder shares

I'm a newbie at audio streaming but would like to know the pros and cons of choosing to use a network share over using folder shares?

My system is Windows 7 with 1GB ethernet to Raumfeld Connector 2, and 2.4GHz Wireless to Raumfeld speakers

Controller is Raumfeld Android app and the Media Server is Windows WMP (or could it be using Foobar2000 as I thought I had some advice from here that it too can act as a Media Server). I use Foobar2000 player.

Ian

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Advantage using network share vs folder shares

By network share you mean UPnP? Because a network share and folder share can be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ********* View Post
    By network share you mean UPnP? Because a network share and folder share can be the same thing.
    I have two desktop music sources shown on my Raumfeld app.

Desktop: Ian
    Type UPnP Media Server
    Tracks: 30356
    98.9GB
    No scan every day option only manual rescan

and

My Music on 192.168.0.2
    Network Share
    Tracks 2479 (still scanning as I write but track count is not increasing)
    52.1GB
    Option: Scan every day is set

I was interested to find out which one I should retain?

My music folders for all encoded types are on a non Windows internal drive but Windows "My Music" is directed to them.

Ian

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    I have two desktop music sources shown on my Raumfeld app.

Desktop: Ian
    Type UPnP Media Server
    Tracks: 30356
    98.9GB
    No scan every day option only manual rescan

and

My Music on 192.168.0.2
    Network Share
    Tracks 2479 (still scanning as I write but track count is not increasing)
    52.1GB
    Option: Scan every day is set

I was interested to find out which one I should retain?

My music folders for all encoded types are on a non Windows internal drive but Windows "My Music" is directed to them.
    Isn't this a question for the developers of the Raumfeld app?

Probably, however my original interest was deciding what asset management to use. As I said I'm a newbie but I'm enjoying my reading here,
    Ian

dBpoweramp Guru

Probably, however my original interest was deciding what asset management to use. As I said I'm a newbie but I'm enjoying my reading here
    No problem. I understand you have the Raumfeld Connector 2, the Raumfeld Android controller app and your server is Windows Media Player.

I'm just having difficulty in understanding what you mean by asset management and network share vs folder share.

In the Raumfeld app, just connect to Windows Media Player (you should see it if everything is configured correctly).

Once connected in the Raumfeld app, do you see your tracks? Sorry I can't be more specific as I don't use Windows Media Player or the Raumfeld system.

The reason I am interested in iLLUSTRATE Asset UPnP is because soon I will move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 where I will lose Windows Media Player. I then will have no media server.

However at present it works as you described but somehow I got the impression that connecting to a media server (in my case via the Raumfeld Connect2) could be done by directing the app to either a "network share" to "My Music" or directly to Windows shared folders.

At present I'm getting a lot of Raumfeld app messages saying "scanning" which sometimes fail to stop.

Ian

dBpoweramp Guru

The reason I am interested in iLLUSTRATE Asset UPnP is because soon I will move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 where I will lose Windows Media Player. I then will have no media server.

However at present it works as you described but somehow I got the impression that connecting to a media server (in my case via the Raumfeld Connect2) could be done by directing the app to either a "network share" to "My Music" or directly to Windows shared folders.
    In reference to UPnP/DLNA server software, e.g. Windows Media Player, Asset UPnP, Foobar2000 etc. the software is first configured to connect to your audio library. This might be a folder (or folders) on a local HDD, or a network folder as on a NAS or another PC.

The server software then scans your audio files and builds it's internal media library. The media library is then accessed via UPnP/DLNA clients, which I guess includes your Raumfeld system. The Raumfeld controller app need only connect to the server and not the audio files.

I strongly suggest installing the Asset UPnP trial software (or the foobar2000 UPnP/DLNA component) and try it out, instead of using Windows Media Player.

At present I'm getting a lot of Raumfeld app messages saying "scanning" which sometimes fail to stop.
    It is possible that the Raumfeld system can connect directly to shared windows folders and build it's own media library, but as I stated earlier, the issue you describe is better directed toward the Raumfeld developers.

It is difficult to comment further on this point as I have no experience of the Raumfeld system and it's capabilities.
    Last edited by mville; 10-06-2015 at 04:31 PM.