title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Potential Problem with OS X El Capitan and dbPoweramp for Mac CD Ripper

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwheelerk
    • Feb 2013

Potential Problem with OS X El Capitan and dbPoweramp for Mac CD Ripper

I upgraded my Mac OS to El Capitan yesterday. Today I ripped 4 CDs just as I have done since I purchased the product. The problem is that non of the rips were Accuraterip. All used Secure and UltraSecure mode. All of the CDs are in perfect condition. I tried using XLD on one and it gave an Accuraterip result. I then went to Preferences and although the Accuraterip box is checked next to it it says "Accuraterip is unconfigured".

What do I need to do correct this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dbPoweramp Preferences.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	296998
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Potential Problem with OS X El Capitan and dbPoweramp for Mac CD Ripper

What cd drive do you have? What exact name is shown for it in dbpoweramp?

Comment

• mwheelerk
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mrspoonsi
      What cd drive do you have? What exact name is shown for it in dbpoweramp?
      I have and have been using with success The Apple Drive and got Accuraterip results.

In the CD Ripper window under Drive > "disk4 [Apple SuperDrive]"

Comment

• mwheelerk
        • Feb 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	dbPoweramp Preferences 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	293001

Here is another screen shot with preferences and the CD Ripper tool with a CD inserted. You can see again that it says "Accuraterip is not configured" and just below that is the "Configure Now" selection. However in trying to select that nothing happens.

Comment

• PeterP
          Super Moderator
          • Jul 2011

Thanks for the bug report.

Looks like Apple changed how the drive names are shown to us, so everything that relies on drive names - AccurateRip in particular - is broken.

Comment

• mwheelerk
            • Feb 2013

Any update on a potential fix?

Thank you

Mike

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

It is being investigated.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mwheelerk
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
                It is being investigated.
                Thanks. Much appreciated. I miss using this tool.

Comment

• PeterP
                  Super Moderator
                  • Jul 2011

Addressed in R15.3 beta.
                  Download <released> Change log Added workarounds for OSX El Capitan showing all Apple drives as "Apple SuperDrive" instead of letting us see the actual hardware model inside AccurateRip can now be used with unknown-offset drives Drive offset can now be entered manually for unknown-offset drives

We still cannot auto detect drive offset on the new OSX, unfortunately.

Comment

• mwheelerk
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by PeterP
                    Addressed in R15.3 beta.
                    Download <released> Change log Added workarounds for OSX El Capitan showing all Apple drives as "Apple SuperDrive" instead of letting us see the actual hardware model inside AccurateRip can now be used with unknown-offset drives Drive offset can now be entered manually for unknown-offset drives

I just tried it and Accuraterip seems to be back. Regarding the drive offset could you explain the meaning of that? Is there something I should be doing within dbpoweramp Preferences or settings for my drive?

Comment

• mwheelerk
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by PeterP
                      Addressed in R15.3 beta.

Does that mean I should manually input the offset for my Apple Super Drive?

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

For 99% of people, there is no need to change the drive offset.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• kode54
                          • May 2014

I found the cause for this, and also a fix that usually works, or at least worked for me.

This is a bug that seems to have coincided with El Capitan's introduction of the System Integrity Protection feature.

Apple SuperDrives, and possibly other USB attached optical drives, will fail to be recognized properly if attached to the system post-boot. They will register as "Apple" "SuperDrive" and under "SupportLevel" they'll display "Unsupported".

Rebooting the machine with the drive still attached should render its exact model name visible, but probably won't fix the "Unsupported" status, even if the drive does happen to work with whatever software you throw at it.

In my case, it's an "HL-DT-ST" "DVDRW GX50N", revision "RR06". My dad's SuperDrive is the exact same optical drive model.

Comment

• Petersm
                            • May 2016

In my case the CD ripper failed to work at all under El Capitan. I found that the SIP prevented certain types of files and system files being written correctly

To overcome the problem I have disabled SIP and now all functions correctly.

SIP can be disabled by booting into recovery mode, selecting the Utilities tab and opening a terminal window. Type csrutil disable at the command prom and press return.

Alternatively typing csrutil enable --without fs will allow file permissions to be altered as required

Comment

Working...

]]>