title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Possible to adjust track gain based on ebur128 LKFS measurement?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Possible to adjust track gain based on ebur128 LKFS measurement?

Hi. So I have a .bat file on Windows 7 that runs a bunch of different audio manipulations on any track that I send it.
    I would like to add the following step, if possible:

Adjust the gain of a track such that that the peak of the track is -10 LKFS according to an ebuR128 evaluation.

In other words, I want to permanently adjust a track such that the loudest part is no louder and no softer than -10 LKFS.

Can I accomplish this with dbpoweramp reference version? If so, how?

Thanks

--jay

Administrator

Re: Possible to adjust track gain based on ebur128 LKFS measurement?

Yes, on the EBU settings page you change the reference loudness volume, for Replaygain >> Advanced >>LUFS Target Volume. Then run a 2nd batch with ReplayGain (Apply)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Yes, on the EBU settings page you change the reference loudness volume, for Replaygain >> Advanced >>LUFS Target Volume. Then run a 2nd batch with ReplayGain (Apply)
    Hi Spoon, thank you for the quick reply.
    1. where do I access the "EBU settings page" to change reference loudness volume?
    2. will this technique adjust the gain of the track for Integrated Loudness or for Peak Loudness? I am trying to set Peak loudness to -10 LUFS.

--jay

Administrator

Add the DSP Effect 'ReplayGain' and click the advanced button.

Do you want the gain to be written to ID Tags, or the audio to be altered in volume?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'd like the audio to be (permanently) altered in volume.

Administrator

Then use the DSP Effect 'ReplayGain' first, then re-run the batch with 'Replaygain apply'

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Spoon -- just want to triple confirm something. I am looking to adjust PEAK to be -10 LUFS, *not* average. My understanding of EBUR128 is that it scans an audio track and decides on an average. I want to "look at the track's audio, and set the loudest part of the track to be -10 LUFS, and then everything else is relative below that"

thanks.

Administrator

Use the volume normalize DSP, and set the peak to peak option and set the desired volume to -10 dB

dBpoweramp Guru

Jay, I'm a little curious as to why? Setting the peak to -10 dBFS (can't be LUFS, that by definition is an average), will result in many cases in a very low level track. Also, if you are listening to a collection of tracks, the levels to your ear will be all over the place, depending on what processing the track had before you adjust it. Your setting is not a particularly "consumer friendly" one.