title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CRC error protection what exactly is this

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: CRC error protection what exactly is this

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    As the restore hasn't fixed the issue, I suspect bad blocks on the HDD and SSD.

iTunes Restore does not format the entire drive. If it were possible to do a full format of the disks and to mark any bad blocks, as you would with a PC drive, this might well fix the issue. I'm not sure it is (easily) possible though.

IMO, this issue has been poorly supported by Apple and why I believe they no longer manufacture/support iPods with HDDs. It is too much of a headache for them, so they just wash their hands of the problem.

Personally, I'll just continue with my iPod and wait for a portable media player that supports micro SD cards larger than 128MB. Then, I'll be able to dump the iPod/iTunes/Apple once and for all. Believe me, it will be a blessed relief.
    thanks for your help on this, yeah it would be nice if there were other mp3 players with high capacities.

I also find itunes tends to sort weirdly, it randomly sorts artists by last name then first name, is there a way to set up an id tag at conversion to sort artists by first and then last name?

also, is there a way to check my converted mp3 albums and songs for corrupt files?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
    I also find itunes tends to sort weirdly, it randomly sorts artists by last name then first name, is there a way to set up an id tag at conversion to sort artists by first and then last name?
    For me, iTunes does not exhibit any sort problems. You probably have inconsistent Artist, Artist Sort, Album Artist and Album Artist Sort tags in your flac files and so subsequently, your mp3 files. The iPod Classic firmware does have sort issues.

You could try using PerfectTUNES (unregistered version is free) ID Tags module on your flac files. This might help you identify any problems.

also, is there a way to check my converted mp3 albums and songs for corrupt files?
    Yes. dBpoweramp Batch Converter >> Convert >> Converting To: Test Conversion
    Last edited by mville; 09-23-2015 at 09:40 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    For me, iTunes does not exhibit any sort problems. You probably have inconsistent Artist, Artist Sort, Album Artist and Album Artist Sort tags in your flac files and so subsequently, your mp3 files. The iPod Classic firmware does have sort issues.

You could try using PerfectTUNES (unregistered version is free) ID Tags module on your flac files. This might help you identify any problems.

Yes. dBpoweramp Batch Converter >> Convert >> Converting To: Test Conversion
    instead of editing my flac files in mp3 tag, could I reconvert them with id tags in the batch coverter to sort by first and last name? would the reconverted flac files lose quality?

dBpoweramp Guru

instead of editing my flac files in mp3 tag, could I reconvert them with id tags in the batch coverter to sort by first and last name?
    If you have the ID Tag Update utility codec installed you can edit/manipulate tags via dBpoweramp Batch Converter. Most of the time, I use an MP3Tag action for this sort of data manipulation.

would the reconverted flac files lose quality?
    dBpoweramp Batch Converter >> [ID Tag Update] only edits tags and not the digital audio, so, no, the reconverted flac files will not lose quality.