title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: MP3 to MP4

Mp4

Hi there...I dont have the codec available under config to go to MP4. HELP!! Please!!
    I'll repost under Batch bc want to use both utilities

I apologize the thread title should just be 'MP4'
    Last edited by zee; 09-16-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Administrator

Re: Mp4

M4a has either Apple Lossless as the encoder, or you have to install the m4a AAC encoder from Codec Central (above).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    Hi there...I dont have the codec available under config to go to MP4. HELP!! Please!!
    I'll repost under Batch bc want to use both utilities

I apologize the thread title should just be 'MP4'
    It's worth pointing out, zee, that if you're starting with lossy files (mp3s, as implied by your thread title), it's unwise to perform any kind of audio conversion on them. Lossy to lossy, presuming you go from mp3 to AAC, results in low-quality files as more of the audio data is discarded. Lossy to lossless, presuming you go from mp3 to Apple Lossless, does nothing but create a needlessly bloated file....nothing's lost or gained but the file gets a lot bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    It's worth pointing out, zee, that if you're starting with lossy files (mp3s, as implied by your thread title), it's unwise to perform any kind of audio conversion on them. Lossy to lossy, presuming you go from mp3 to AAC, results in low-quality files as more of the audio data is discarded. Lossy to lossless, presuming you go from mp3 to Apple Lossless, does nothing but create a needlessly bloated file....nothing's lost or gained but the file gets a lot bigger.
    Cascading lossy compression is best avoided but sometimes if you need to edit or resample or apply some other process there is simply no way around it. The best thing you can do is decode it to PCM, do what you need to do and just leave it as PCM, but there is no guarantee it won't be recompressed further down the chain. The best advice is to start with the best sounding lossless source material you can in the first place. I suspect in the world of TV broadcasting in particular the cascading of lossy video and audio compression is somewhat routine.