title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Different album art? Also: Possible bug in export/import image (Nothing happens)?

Different album art? Also: Possible bug in export/import image (Nothing happens)?

Yet another question/suggestion:

What should I do when ID Tags tells me that the selected album has different album art across its tracks? The only thing I can do now is to delete all of them and look for a new image file on my PC or on the Net. I can neither extract files from the tracks (e. g. find the best quality image, save that, and then load it for all the tracks) nor have ID tags automatically use the best art available.

I tried the Album Art app, but that didn't work either - it didn't notice that there was different album art at all (there were two different covers at the same size, one high quality, one low quality). When I tried "Export to folder.jpg", nothing happened at all (the folder.jpg in the album folder, containing a thumbnail, remained unchanged), same with "Import from folder.jpg".

So now I'm doing a Google search (because the built-in image search couldn't find anything), save the picture, do "Load from image" (which always produces the album folder as the starting directory which of course is not where I'm saving the images from the Google search - which means I have to navigate there first (why not remember the folder from the last import?) and then finally add the correct image to all the tracks. I think this could be streamlined a bit...

Thanks for listening,
    Tim

Administrator

Re: Different album art? Also: Possible bug in export/import image (Nothing happens)

You can edit the tags for a single track, right click on a track and it will show the art for that one track.

Album art program does not check for inconsistencies in art.

Check that the program have write access to the tracks in question.

Re: Different album art? Also: Possible bug in export/import image (Nothing happens)

Thank you for your answer.

It seems I can't really do much when I've found the track with the best image, can I? How can I apply that image to all tracks?

Administrator

Export should work, try deleting the existing folder.jpg if there, it could be locked by something else.

There is no folder.jpg in the folder where the .flac files reside, and I have full access to that folder. Nothing happens at all when I do "Export to folder.jpg".

dBpoweramp Guru

What happens if you try to copy a "folder.jpg" into that folder? Do you see all files in that folder (incl. hidden and system files)?

Dat Ei

Administrator

There might be a file there, but Windows Media Player has hidden it, as Dat Ei says, try copying a file manually there, if it asks to overwrite then there is one there.

There is no file there. I'm unhiding all system/hidden files by default, I can copy a folder.jpg to the folder without problems, and still I can't export to folder.jpg from within Album Art.

I'm on the verge of programming a Python/mutagen script to extract album art from tags myself, but before I do that I wanted to try and use the tools I already have...

I've also tried it with MP3 files - no difference.

dBpoweramp Guru

Do you own "Batch Converter"?

Dat Ei

Yes, I do. I'll take a look into the documentation, thanks for the heads-up!

Do you mean I should use the ID tag processing DSP plugin? How would I use it if I didn't want to do any conversion of the music files themselves, just extract the Folder.jpg from the first MP3/FLAC file in a directory?

Any way to only do that if the embedded image is larger than the one in Folder.jpg (in case there already is a low-res version in the folder, which is possible in my music collection)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by t.pietzcker; 09-29-2015 at 06:27 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey t.pietzcker,

Quote Originally Posted by t.pietzcker View Post
    Yes, I do. I'll take a look into the documentation, thanks for the heads-up!
    you're welcome!

Do you mean I should use the ID tag processing DSP plugin? How would I use it if I didn't want to do any conversion of the music files themselves, just extract the Folder.jpg from the first MP3/FLAC file in a directory?
    You have to install "ID Tag Update R4" from the code central site.

1.) Choose converting to: [ID Tag Update]
    2.) On register "Manipulation" choose: "Export To:" whatever filename you want (select in combo box)
    3.) Click the Convert button

That's all.

Any way to only do that if the embedded image is larger than the one in Folder.jpg (in case there already is a low-res version in the folder, which is possible in my music collection)?
    Ad hoc I have no simple idea how to manage this.

Dat Ei

OK, as far as I can tell, I have to use the "Test conversion" (which does seem to allow the ID tag processing to occur, even though it says "No files are written"). And I have to remove any folder.jpg that might be present in the directory, otherwise it won't be written. That shouldn't be a problem.

The only disadvantage I see is that I don't seem to have a way to easily select only one file per album for this - the "test conversion" is applied to all the tracks, of course - only one track is needed to extract the image from, of course...

Sorry, was writing my previous comment while you were writing yours. Thanks for the detailed instructions - I didn't have the ID tag update codec installed, therefore the DSP idea, of course it's much better with the codec. Great!