title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Number of Discs/ tracks in One Folder.???

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Number of Discs/ tracks in One Folder.???

Hi folks, hope all well. Just a Quickie...
    When creating albums In folders after Ripp..How many Audio cds is it advisable to put in ONE FOLDER. For Example, with my own Home-made ripps i have kept the number of tracks to a "minimum" of 40 tracks per folder.,
    I have just Ripped a 5 cd set Original with 100 tracks and put all in one folder.The thing that worries me slightly is I notice that in windows Explorer after ripp...when i open folder its slower to open, than folders with less tracks.(iam only talking 5-6 seconds more)I Realise I can put as many tracks as I wish into each folder..but just wonder when opened in streamer (which i have not yet purchased)if things will lag...

I have a ten cd box set to ripp soon.Is it worth breaking it up in Folders (i.e part 1, part 2 etc..) Or just keep it together..?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Number of Discs/ tracks in One Folder.???

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi folks, hope all well. Just a Quickie...
    When creating albums In folders after Ripp..How many Audio cds is it advisable to put in ONE FOLDER. For Example, with my own Home-made ripps i have kept the number of tracks to a "minimum" of 40 tracks per folder.,
    I have just Ripped a 5 cd set Original with 100 tracks and put all in one folder.The thing that worries me slightly is I notice that in windows Explorer after ripp...when i open folder its slower to open, than folders with less tracks.(iam only talking 5-6 seconds more)I Realise I can put as many tracks as I wish into each folder..but just wonder when opened in streamer (which i have not yet purchased)if things will lag...

I have a ten cd box set to ripp soon.Is it worth breaking it up in Folders (i.e part 1, part 2 etc..) Or just keep it together..?
    It is difficult to say as it depends on the operating system you store the music files on and on the streamer. In principle there is no limit. But as you already noticed there is an issue with lag as the number of files becomes larger. This will exacerbate when the files are stored on a network drive and when you use slow HDDs (5400 rpm drives with a small cache). Trial and error is your best guide at the moment.

That said, there are people with collections of 10,000 CDs or more, so you should probably ok. I have folders on my NAS drive with about 40 tracks in them and it has never given me any problems.