title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Are CD drives really this inaccurate? How could our software even work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Are CD drives really this inaccurate? How could our software even work?

Hey maxhodges,

Originally posted by maxhodges
    Maybe you're a lot younger than me (i'm 42),...
    I'm 50, started with IT at the end of the 70's, have studied computer science and I'm still in the business.

but it most certainly did play a huge role in the IT industry.
    That is a question of the point of view and perspective.

Starting from around 1988 when the Yellow Book standard was published until the mid-2000s, CD-ROMs were popularly used to distribute software for computers and video game consoles. But seems I found the answer!
    In the first years we have seen a lot of problems with CDs (question of drives, drive interfaces, media types etc. pp.). It took quiet a while until CDs were reliable. Manufactures like Plextor made their way in that time. But nevertheless CD drives were mainly something for the SOHO market. Then came the euphoria of writeable CDs, but very soon we've seen, that optical media were no good choice for the professional business. CDs, DVDs and BRs will never be a media for backup, because of the failure rate of the optical media. I have some older CDs and DVDs here, which you can use as a drip map only.

Compare the story of the CD to that of HDDs or tapes.

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>