title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Matshita - dvd-r uj-85j

Matshita - dvd-r uj-85j

Hello All-

I recently found a brand new MATSHITA - DVD-R UJ-85J and purchased in because it was the most accurate CD Ripper according to the sticky post on this forum. The problem I have now is how to connect the darn thing to a computer.

I have a MacBook Pro retina and 27" iMac. I have searched the internet and found 1 single youtube post but the cable and some of the parts the guy uses to convert it to an external drive I cannot find anywhere. Does anyone know how I can jerry rig the thing to connect to one of my computers? Or does anyone know of a company that makes something to plug the drive into to make it an external drive? I have a couple of external enclosuer to slap hard drives into, doesn't anyone make a similar device for CD drives?

All help and information is greatly appreciate....

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Matshita - dvd-r uj-85j

Thank you so much for your response. I have looked into your suggestion but it appears to me the Vantec device doesn't seem to support the interface of the Matshita drive. I could very well be wrong. I will leave that for you experts. It is my understanding that the Matshita drive is a PATA/IDE device and the Vantec does not support that interface. Am I wrong? I certainly hope so b/c I really want to start using the Matshita drive to start ripping my CDs.

If I am unable to get the Matshita drive to interface with one of my Mac computers can someone please give me some suggestions as to another drive that is in the top 10 according to dbPoweramp and I will GLADLY buy.

Thank you all so much for your help. It is an obsession we have and we all just want to get it "right" as we can....

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fight on! View Post
    Thank you so much for your response. I have looked into your suggestion but it appears to me the Vantec device doesn't seem to support the interface of the Matshita drive. I could very well be wrong. I will leave that for you experts. It is my understanding that the Matshita drive is a PATA/IDE device and the Vantec does not support that interface. Am I wrong? I certainly hope so b/c I really want to start using the Matshita drive to start ripping my CDs.

If I am unable to get the Matshita drive to interface with one of my Mac computers can someone please give me some suggestions as to another drive that is in the top 10 according to dbPoweramp and I will GLADLY buy.

Thank you all so much for your help. It is an obsession we have and we all just want to get it "right" as we can....
    Yes, it seems that the PATA/IDE wouldn't work with the device I suggested. By the way, I suspect you are too focused on using a particular drive. The beauty of dbpa and ACCURATERIP, is that the drive is just not that important any more. I have several drives, none on the top 10 list, and don't worry about that issue. The reason is that what matters is the ACCURATERIP match. If you receive an ACCURATERIP match when you rip, you have a bitperfect rip. It won't be any *more* bitperfect just because you use a top 10 drive. Having a couple of different drives is important, because it is true that sometimes a CD that won't rip well on one drive will rip on the other.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi, what you need is USB to ide DVD laptop caddy. Costs about £5 from eBay and comes with 2 X leads. If your Matshita came from a laptop, you may need to remove the mounting plate - very straightforward. Hope this helps, Iggy.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oops, I mean Oggy!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, it seems that the PATA/IDE wouldn't work with the device I suggested. By the way, I suspect you are too focused on using a particular drive. The beauty of dbpa and ACCURATERIP, is that the drive is just not that important any more. I have several drives, none on the top 10 list, and don't worry about that issue. The reason is that what matters is the ACCURATERIP match. If you receive an ACCURATERIP match when you rip, you have a bitperfect rip. It won't be any *more* bitperfect just because you use a top 10 drive. Having a couple of different drives is important, because it is true that sometimes a CD that won't rip well on one drive will rip on the other.
    Following on from what Gary said, although I use the Matshita as one of my drives, I also use a slimline ext TSS drive which runs from a single USB and cost about £15, the laptop drive and the PC drive. If I was starting again, I would probably buy a 2.5 / 3.5" ide, PATA / SATA caddy to USB to enable me to use my old (robust) ide CD drives and retrieve data from the HDDs littered around.