title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Dynamic Browsing and Tagging

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alepsis
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2014

Dynamic Browsing and Tagging

Problem: I want to listen tonight to a Baroque opera. I have no particular composer or performers in mind. Can I use Asset to do it?

It appears that the answer is no. I hope I am wrong.

I tagged several items with

Code:
    GENRE=Classical
    STYLE=Baroque
    STYLE=Opera
    I assumed I could use Dynamic Browsing (which, reading between the lines, seems to be selection by Boolean operators) to do:

Code:
    GENRE=Classical AND STYLE=Baroque AND STYLE=Opera
    which would yield only Baroque operas.

But it turns out that, if one uses the multiple values in the same tag, Dynamic Browsing does OR, not AND, operations. The result was

Code:
    GENRE=Classical AND (STYLE=Baroque OR STYLE=Opera)
    So I got all the operas plus all the Baroque music, whether opera or not.

This agrees with the example provided in the few pages of instructions available for Asset, it's just that I did not read it carefully enough.

The solution in the above-mentioned pages is to use [Exclude], which, judging from the example, is the same thing as the NOT operator. The problem is that STYLE can take too many values other than "Opera", so [Exclude] is not at all practical.

Another solution would be to use a different tag for "Opera", but the developer doesn't give us a list of tags Asset accepts. Or make "Opera" a different genre; but, applied consistently, this would make the genre list unwieldy, and not just for classical music.

Any other solutions?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Dynamic Browsing and Tagging

I do not know what to suggest
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Alepsis
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2014

Re: Dynamic Browsing and Tagging

Thanks for replying, Spoon.

For this example I suppose I could use other tags (e.g., PERIOD), to get
      Code:
      GENRE=Classical AND PERIOD=Baroqu AND STYLE=Opera
      But I assume that the same issue obtains for other tags with multiple values, e.g., COMPOSER, which means that, for instance, I couldn't find by Dynamic Browsing only songs composed by Duke Ellington with Billy Strayhorn.

Perhaps this, too, will be addressed by some future update.

Comment

Working...

]]>