title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can I Use with NAS and Sonos?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Can I Use with NAS and Sonos?

I am trying the trial version but am happy to purchase the full version. Will Asset UPnP let me do these things:

1. Install directly on my NAS, bypassing any computer, so that I can stream directly to Sonos and overcome Sonos's 65,000-track limit?
    2. Install on a Windows 8.1 PC and do the same, again though music stored on a NAS?
    3. When I am using Sonos's controllers, use Sonos's search function so that I can type the name of a song, an artist, etc.?

Right now, the trial version, installed on Windows 8.1, finds Asset UPnP, but, when I click on it, it shows me Artist/Album, Album, Title, etc., only clicking on one of those things leads Sonos to say, "No selections are available." One problem may be that Asset UPnP has not finished indexing, but I don't know how to point Asset UPnP to my NAS to start the indexing. I have chosen the Service function and pointed it to my NAS's music folder, and I have tried clicking Detecting Changes, but I still don't know whether the program knows where to find my music. Am I doing something wrong? It just started, so perhaps Sonos can't detect any music until Asset finishes indexing.

And, once I get it running correctly, will I be able to use Sonos's search functions, or will I be forced to click Artist/Album/Track, etc.?

My NAS is a Synology 415play.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by DigitalLA; 08-30-2015 at 02:01 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can I Use with NAS and Sonos?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalLA View Post
    Right now, the trial version, installed on Windows 8.1, finds Asset UPnP, but, when I click on it, it shows me Artist/Album, Album, Title, etc., only clicking on one of those things leads Sonos to say, "No selections are available." One problem may be that Asset UPnP has not finished indexing, but I don't know how to point Asset UPnP to my NAS to start the indexing. I have chosen the Service function and pointed it to my NAS's music folder, and I have tried clicking Detecting Changes, but I still don't know whether the program knows where to find my music. Am I doing something wrong?
    Asset needs to be configured with your audio library location.

Launch Asset UPnP Configuration >> Edit >> Audio Library box >> Click [Add Folder] and navigate to your audio library.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Asset needs to be configured with your audio library location.

Launch Asset UPnP Configuration >> Edit >> Audio Library box >> Click [Add Folder] and navigate to your audio library.
    Thank you. I did that, but I can't tell whether it is collecting music. From Sonos, selecting Asset UPnP shows choices of sorting by album, artist, etc., but clicking on one of those fields leads to no music. Does Asset need to finish collecting all the music before it works with Sonos?

Also, will I be able to use Sonos's normal search function to search for tracks, artists, and albums by name, or will I have to browse using Asset's album, artist, etc. tags?

Thank you.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thank you. I did that, but I can't tell whether it is collecting music. From Sonos, selecting Asset UPnP shows choices of sorting by album, artist, etc., but clicking on one of those fields leads to no music. Does Asset need to finish collecting all the music before it works with Sonos?
    Yes. When finished scanning your audio library, Asset UPnP Configuration >> Status will show:
    Library Contains xxx Tracks, xxx Albums

You are also able to manually scan your audio library:
    Asset UPnP Configuration >> Rescan Library
    with the Detecting Changes and Refresh All buttons.

Also, will I be able to use Sonos's normal search function to search for tracks, artists, and albums by name, or will I have to browse using Asset's album, artist, etc. tags?
    Sorry, I have no experience of the Sonos. I assume though, that Asset will appear as a server in the Sonos software interface.
    Last edited by mville; 08-30-2015 at 02:53 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes. When finished scanning your audio library, Asset UPnP Configuration >> Status will show:
    Library Contains xxx Tracks, xxx Albums

You are also able to manually scan your audio library:
    Asset UPnP Configuration >> Rescan Library
    with the Detecting Changes and Refresh All buttons.

Sorry, I have no experience of the Sonos. I assume though, that Asset will appear as a server in the Sonos software interface.

I guess it is scanning now. When I click to Asset in Sonos's software, I have to manually browse the Asset categories. Sonos does not offer a search function for UPnP servers. Does anyone know of a way to use Asset through Sonos while preserving a search function? Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

I guess it is scanning now.
    While it is scanning, Asset UPnP Configuration >> Status will show:
    Scanning Library...