title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FLAC, APE, & ALE Tags

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

FLAC, APE, & ALE Tags

Checking some of my ALAC files, I discovered Asset translated iTunes "Grouping" tag to "Style". I'd like to avoid such surprises. Is there any table or concordance showing which tags Asset reads and how it reads/translates the tag names? I'm interested specifically in FLAC, Apple Lossless, and Monkey's Audio. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: FLAC, APE, & ALE Tags

Quote Originally Posted by Alepsis View Post
    Checking some of my ALAC files, I discovered Asset translated iTunes "Grouping" tag to "Style". I'd like to avoid such surprises. Is there any table or concordance showing which tags Asset reads and how it reads/translates the tag names? I'm interested specifically in FLAC, Apple Lossless, and Monkey's Audio. Thanks.
    This is a common problem/complaint, that I believe, can only be overcome if every audio file tagging software developer were to get together and decide on a standard naming convention, which of course, is not going to happen.

There are some mapping options available in some of the more common tagging interfaces, but it still doesn't completely overcome this basic problem.

Personally, over the years I have just become familiar with the naming conventions used by the software I use, which I keep to a minimum purely because of this issue.

dBpoweramp Guru

Is there any table or concordance showing which tags Asset reads and how it reads/translates the tag names?
    Not that I am aware of.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    This is a common problem/complaint
    Mind you, I'm not complaining. Dura lex, sed lex. I'm not asking to change the law, I'm merely asking to be told what the law is.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon? Any words of wisdom on this topic?

Administrator

There is no table sorry.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for replying, Spoon. I hope better documentation (including such table) may be forthcoming at some point. It seems that others would benefit as well.

dBpoweramp Guru

I hope better documentation (including such table) may be forthcoming at some point. It seems that others would benefit as well.
    Agreed. I would add that such a table would list the following:
    1. All supported tags, for all file formats.
    2. All supported tags for all Illustrate software e.g. Asset UPnP, dBpoweramp Music Converter and PerfectTunes.
    3. All corresponding sort tags.
    4. Which tags are multi-value tags.