title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Incomplete metadata edits transferred to NAS

Incomplete metadata edits transferred to NAS

I have always just ripped and done editing of metadata later. Seems not so smart really so I have been trying to edit metadata on the really nice Ripper Interface while the CD is being ripped - ideal as there is time to kill and CD sleeve is in front of me. And the Ripper interface screens are really good. Time to photo the sleeve if missing as well.

Trouble is it only seems to work completely on odd occasions. Sometimes new cover art and maybe only half of the track metadata is transferred. Sometimes the cover art does not transfer.

Loading the offending CD into PC later brings up from the cache all the correct metadata as per my edits - so the edits were accurately persistent in the Ripper software. Just not conveyed to the NAS.

Basic question then - at what stage is the transfer to NAS made? At the end of the Rip process I suppose? Even then all the metadata edits up to that point don't seem to make it.

Sometimes metadata edits AFTER the Rip was all done DO seem to make it to the NAS. I cannot fathom the pattern.

Is there a 'Send to NAS' command lurking somewhere? Or some action that prompts the same?

Faced with incomplete metadata transfer how best to proceed please? I have found that DELETE on the NAS and Rip again (the edited metadata is recovered from Ripper cache OK) seems to do the trick. But very time consuming especially on CDs that took a long Rip time. there must be a better way?

I just bought a whole new installation of dBpoweramp thinking my older install might be over the hill - no change though.

Thanks in anticipation. - do need to get this fixed.

Alan

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Incomplete metadata edits transferred to NAS

Hey Alan,

first of all, from my point of view it doesn't matter at all for dBpa if you rip to a local drive or a NAS. My experience is, that there are three stages for each track:

1.) ripping the data
    2.) enconding the ripped data
    3.) assigning the meta data

So while some tracks with a highter track number are still in the stage of ripping, those with lower track numbers are still in the encoding stage or are finished already. So editing metadata or changing the album art during the ripping process isn't a good idea. Do this before starting the ripping or with the "Edit ID Tag" function (right click in file explorer) after the completed ripping of the complete disc.

Dat Ei

Administrator

Meta data cannot be edited whilst ripping, CD Ripper is not designed in this way (after all the filenames are made up from the metadata and if you change the artist whilst ripping the filename would not be correct).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Meta data cannot be edited whilst ripping, CD Ripper is not designed in this way (after all the filenames are made up from the metadata and if you change the artist whilst ripping the filename would not be correct).
    Thanks to you both for the insight. Makes perfect sense, but as the interface is so nice it would be cool to be able to amend the metadata while the disc data is gathered and then have one button to throw the stable (editing finished) data out to the NAS.

My Explorer does not give me any special dDpa features if I right click a file in NAS...

Thanks

Alan

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by alan.ainslie View Post
    Thanks to you both for the insight. Makes perfect sense, but as the interface is so nice it would be cool to be able to amend the metadata while the disc data is gathered and then have one button to throw the stable (editing finished) data out to the NAS.

My Explorer does not give me any special dDpa features if I right click a file in NAS...

Thanks

Alan
    You can do all that in the ripping screen (that is change/edit the metadata) BEFORE hitting the rip button. So best approach is to edit metadata/artwork in the ripping program before ripping, then rip and data is what you want.

dBpoweramp Guru

This is how exactly how I have been using CDRipper for years.

Please can you explain why this is not available to you i.e. amend data as required and then click the Rip button?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    This is how exactly how I have been using CDRipper for years.

Please can you explain why this is not available to you i.e. amend data as required and then click the Rip button?
    Hello - I certainly can do this. But never dealt with metadata until well after Rip was on NAS. I would have a metadata tidy-up session when i felt so inclined.

But - anticipating that the rip would be sent to NAS at the end of the whole rip /edit process - I had hoped that i could amend metadata while the CD was being read. Not surprisingly really - that is not practical.

The bit that does NOT work for me is in Explorer when looking at files - right click for most users brings up dBpa specific functions. For me this does not happen - not a big deal really.

I do like the metadata screens at the rip stage so I will get a process for edit metadata, get all tidy and then hit RIP. That is fine. Just hoped I could save a bit of time with concurrent tasks.

So asked the question and a few of us will have learnt something!!

Best

Alan

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Alan,

The bit that does NOT work for me is in Explorer when looking at files - right click for most users brings up dBpa specific functions. For me this does not happen - not a big deal really.
    just two points:

1.) You have to ebanble the explorer integration in the program "Configure dBpoweramp".

2.) What version of dBpa are you using? The lastest R15.3?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Hello - I certainly can do this. But never dealt with metadata until well after Rip was on NAS. I would have a metadata tidy-up session when i felt so inclined.

But - anticipating that the rip would be sent to NAS at the end of the whole rip /edit process - I had hoped that i could amend metadata while the CD was being read. Not surprisingly really - that is not practical.

I do like the metadata screens at the rip stage so I will get a process for edit metadata, get all tidy and then hit RIP. That is fine. Just hoped I could save a bit of time with concurrent tasks.

So asked the question and a few of us will have learnt something!!

Best

Alan
    I try to get my metadata and artwork correct before clicking "rip", but I'm not always successful. So my work flow is to (1) rip the CD to a local "temporary" directory on my computer, with I hope correct metadata, (2) after a ripping session I may have a number of CDs in this temporary location. While ripping other CDs I'm reviewing the previous rips, etc. And if I need to update/change anything I do this (with either mp3tag or EDIT ID TAG from dbpa. And with multiCD albums I also rerun the ReplayGain DSP so that the RG ALBUM GAIN value is based on all the disks of an album. (3) Once I'm done with a ripping session and happy with everything, I simply copy these over to my separate server/NAS. Then I delete them from my local computer's temporary directory.
    Last edited by garym; 08-30-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Alan,

just two points:

1.) You have to ebanble the explorer integration in the program "Configure dBpoweramp".

2.) What version of dBpa are you using? The lastest R15.3?

Dat Ei
    This is the latest release R15.3

I cannot see anywhere in the Configure Prog to set explorer integration though???

Good thinking - I like the workflow on this.
    I cannot follow the replay gain though - all discs in a set to be identical for sure - but how?

dBpoweramp Guru

Good thinking - I like the workflow on this.
    I cannot follow the replay gain though - all discs in a set to be identical for sure - but how?
    Let's say I have a 2 disk CD album. After ripping them both, dbpa would have assigned track RG values and a separate ALBUM RG tag value to each disk. You can fix this by:

1. locate the album (with both disks) in windows file explorer. Right click the album (which has both disks underneath in subdirectories). Then right click and select batch convert. Then within batch convert select the convert to option as: ReplayGain DSP. Then let it reread the files and calculate and write an ALBUM RG tag value using *both* disks. It is really quite simple. (And I actually use foobar2000 to do the same thing, just because I was already using it for adding RG values on existing files). But either approach works.

dBpoweramp Guru

This is the latest release R15.3

I cannot see anywhere in the Configure Prog to set explorer integration though???
    Configure dBpoweramp >> Music Converter Tab >> Windows Explorer Integration

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Garym. So from above do I need to "overwrite" any 2 cds Album in batch Convertor..? In regards dsp RG VALUES..??.. I HAVE IT SET IN ALBUM &TRACK..So assumed that RG VALUES were set automatically. Would this affect transferring to a Nas later..? I would of thought if the album was tagged correct in mp3Tag and in one folder it would be Fine....

Iam so happy I dont go straight to NAS (INFACT iam still ripping to localHD the backing up on 2TB eX. hd) Looking back now I have corrected so many errors that would of "got through" straight to NAS...then corrected later.(Iam not saying theres NO mistakes still...But Using MP3tAG like you recommended as part of "the work flow" has helped Sooo much.I Get Mp3Tag now and realise its Importance! I use it to check Artwork, Disc No. Genre, dates etc...and always use autonumber to 01/12, 02/12 etc....Hopefully this will lead to a smooth transition to NAS Later......I prey!