title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Text Dump

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alepsis
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2014

Text Dump

Is it possible to generate a text dump of part or all of Asset's navtree?

For instance, in my library, under "Angela Hewitt", Asset lists 25 albums. Is it possible to obtain a text listing of those albums?

Thanks.
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Text Dump

Originally posted by Alepsis
    Is it possible to generate a text dump of part or all of Asset's navtree?

For instance, in my library, under "Angela Hewitt", Asset lists 25 albums. Is it possible to obtain a text listing of those albums?
    No, I don't think so.

Asset does allow you to get a dump of the whole Asset database, using the uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe.

Assuming you are running Asset on a Windows OS, this executable can be found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp

or here: C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp

depending on your Windows OS (32-bit or 64-bit).

Comment

• Alepsis
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by mville
      Asset does allow you to get a dump of the whole Asset database, using the uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe.
      Thanks, that's pretty close to what I need. It would've been perfect if it also included the file path...

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Thanks, that's pretty close to what I need. It would've been perfect if it also included the file path...
        Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, can you explain file path?

Comment

• Alepsis
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Aug 2014

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean, can you explain file path?
          from FOLDOC
          pathname

(file system) (Or "path") The specification of a node (file or directory) in a hierarchical file system. The path is usually specified by listing the nodes top-down, separating the directories by the pathname separator ("/" in Unix, "" in MS-DOS).

A pathname may be an absolute pathname (starting from the root directory, "/") or a relative pathname (starting from the current working directory).

The part of the pathname of a file after the last separator is called the basename.
          My observation is that the report created by uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe is a tab-separated table of tags scanned by Asset. What's missing is the link between those tags and the actual file from which they were read.

Perhaps this link is the FileNameIDX field (which appears to contain unique numbers), but I have no means of relating this value to the actual file. The simplest way of providing this link (in a human-readable form) is to provide the file path (as, for instance, in a playlist).

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

My observation is that the report created by uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe is a tab-separated table of tags scanned by Asset. What's missing is the link between those tags and the actual file from which they were read.

Perhaps this link is the FileNameIDX field (which appears to contain unique numbers), but I have no means of relating this value to the actual file. The simplest way of providing this link (in a human-readable form) is to provide the file path (as, for instance, in a playlist).
            My MediaLibrary-dumpdb.txt does contain the file/folder path.

Column Name is FileName.

example data:
            E:\FLAC\Artists M\Mott The Hoople\[1974-03] The Hoople (2006 Remaster)\1.07 Mott The Hoople - Pearl 'n' Roy (England).flac

... which is a full pathname, perfectly readable.

I am also able to import the MediaLibrary-dumpdb.txt into Microsoft Excel for further formatting, no problem.
            Last edited by mville; 08-25-2015, 04:52 PM. Reason: additional Excel info

Comment

• Alepsis
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Aug 2014

My MediaLibrary-dumpdb.txt does contain the file/folder path.
              No such field in my dump. Perhaps it's something added in newer versions? I'm using Asset R4.3.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

No such field in my dump. Perhaps it's something added in newer versions? I'm using Asset R4.3.
                Possibly. I am running R5.1. Spoon would have to comment on that.

Any particular reason why you don't upgrade?
                Last edited by mville; 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM. Reason: added another question

Comment

• Alepsis
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2014

Any particular reason why you don't upgrade?
                  My principle: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The version I'm using provides the functionality I want, with some (mostly minor) annoyances. The one feature I increasingly feel a need for, ie, multiple instances running concurrently on the same machine, is not available.

I'm further discouraged from upgrading by the dearth of information regarding the new version. What are the requirements of v5? What exactly are the new features in v5? What features are no longer available in v5? What are the installation instructions? Do I need to un-install the older version, or can the new one be installed on top of the old one? Will my prefs be honoured, or will I have to set them anew? Will the server require re-starting? Will the database be re-built? etc, etc.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

My principle: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                    Fair enough.

What are the requirements of v5?
                    Same as R4.3.

What exactly are the new features in v5?
                    Huge internal update, faster, sleeker. DSD supported, as well as extended search. Change Log: New database design, faster at indexing, browsing albums Upstream art uses compilation artist, but will replace with non-compilation later Does not remove files from database when the whole location missing (such as nas share

What features are no longer available in v5?
                    None, that I am aware of. Spoon can answer this precisely.

What are the installation instructions? Do I need to un-install the older version, or can the new one be installed on top of the old one?

Will my prefs be honoured, or will I have to set them anew?
                    I backed up my Windows 8.1 64-bit Asset UPnP Premium R4.3 uMediaLibrary folder
                    %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp\uMediaLib rary, before installing Asset R5 (my Asset Running Mode is Local Account and not Service)

Most, if not all my settings are in this folder and I was able to rollback to R4.3 very quilckly when I needed to.

The uMediaLibrary folder was not removed on un-install of R4.3, so R5.1 picked up most of my settings.

The Browse Tree was reset but I was able to get my customized R4.3 Browse Tree back by comparing the following files:
                    AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTreev4.txt with AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTreev5.txt.
                    Then I disabled Asset in Asset UPnP Configuration and added my customizations to AssetUPnPDefinedBrowseTreev5.txt.

Custom fields I use in the Browse Tree, are defined in MediaDatabaseFieldsv4.txt, so I added the custom fields in MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt and selected Local Account/Restart in Asset UPnP Configuration. Finally, I selected Refresh All in Asset UPnP Configuration.

Will the server require re-starting? Will the database be re-built? etc, etc.
                    I always reboot my PC after installing Asset UPnP software. The database is rebuilt due to the changes in design from R4.3.

The issues and concerns you mention are very valid and most are answered somewhere on the forums, you just have to dig around to find them. I too was very reticent to upgrade, due to these issues, but I seem to have had a fairly smooth upgrade.

Personally, I find R5.1 much more stable and responsive than R4.3, especially in the area of audio library scanning/detecting changes.
                    Last edited by mville; 08-26-2015, 02:08 AM. Reason: added exact customization steps taken

Comment

• Alepsis
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Aug 2014

Thanks. I do appreciate your taking the time to post such a detailed reply.

(I guess that, in addition to being lazy, I'm also an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy... I expected this kind of information to be collated in a Read Me file accompanying the installer...)

Once again, thank you.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

Thanks. I do appreciate your taking the time to post such a detailed reply.
                        No problem. Just thought I would share my Asset upgrade experience.

I guess that, in addition to being lazy, I'm also an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy... I expected this kind of information to be collated in a Read Me file accompanying the installer...
                        I agree. Although Illustrate's set of audio library tools are very good, the documentation is poor, IMO.

Sadly, this is a growing trend in the software industry, which is odd considering the availability of the internet. As for support, well, try getting support from Microsoft, Apple, Sky, BT et al. for their paid products, it is pathetic.

At least Spoon's support in these forums is excellent.

Comment

• Alepsis
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Aug 2014

Sadly, this is a growing trend in the software industry
                          Indeed.

On a previous point, I can confirm that, in 5.1, uMediaLibrary-dumpdb.exe adds the file path, whereas it didn't do so in 4.3.

Comment

Working...

]]>