title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Floating tracks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Floating tracks

Hi

I've just purchased dBpoweramp to rip my CD collection to a QNAP NAS in advance of buying a uPnP streamer. I've hit a problem and would be grateful for any help.

I've ripped two trial discs at the moment. In both cases dBpoweramp finds everything and all looks well. On the QNAP they appear in the file station with a folder for the artist, a sub-folder for the album and then the tracks (plus jpg) within that sub-folder. And yet within Music Station they are all unknown artist, unknown album. Changing the default tags doesn't seem to have made any difference.

What am I doing wrong?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Floating tracks

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeH View Post
    I've ripped two trial discs at the moment. In both cases dBpoweramp finds everything and all looks well. On the QNAP they appear in the file station with a folder for the artist, a sub-folder for the album and then the tracks (plus jpg) within that sub-folder. And yet within Music Station they are all unknown artist, unknown album. Changing the default tags doesn't seem to have made any difference.

What am I doing wrong?
    What file format did you rip to?

The Music Station only supports the following file formats: MP3, OGG, WAV, AIFF, AU, FLAC, M4A and APE (taken from the online manual)
    Last edited by mville; 08-20-2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: file format additions

wav - the files are there and I could play them, but they are not grouped as an album, just "floating" independently, even though they are within a single album sub-folder

dBpoweramp Guru

wav - the files are there and I could play them, but they are not grouped as an album, just "floating" independently, even though they are within a single album sub-folder
    As a test, try ripping the 2 trial discs again, as flac.

There are compatibility issues with wav files and tagging. You'll have to investigate. Wav tagging is not my area of expertise, due to these tagging issues, but there is more info in these forums.

Ah! Thank you. When I ripped to flac they were fine. Very interesting - I shall have to explore that further.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ah! Thank you. When I ripped to flac they were fine. Very interesting - I shall have to explore that further.
    Since you're just getting started, now's a great time to reconsider using WAV for your new music library. It offers no benefit over other lossless codecs, but does have some distinct disadvantages. For many, the most significant of these is its relatively limited metadata support. This is an issue that comes up again & again when trying to work with WAV files, and IMO, it makes that codec the least practical choice.